Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the Ziebart sound deadening application on their Prius? I was wondering if it hinders the drag on the car or weigh it down to the point that it would hurt fuel ecconomy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doug said:
Has anyone put the Ziebart sound deadening application on their Prius? I was wondering if it hinders the drag on the car or weigh it down to the point that it would hurt fuel ecconomy.
Is there any one with some information or opinions on the Ziebart options since my dealer can include them on the Prius when it finally arrives?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ziebart Application; A word of Caution

Ziebart is a really good product for trucks, commercial vehicles and any runniing stock exposed to salt water, salt and chemilcal ice dispersant, etc.

Two things to consider;

1. This or any similar coating could alter the temperature or sensor characteristics of the '04. It's a very "aware" vehicle.

2. Should the coating delaminate (this really does happen - particularly if there is cosmoline, oil, grease on some other anti-bonding agent present), especially on a vertical or flat (top of rail, not bottom), rust could develop since salt, water and chemicals cannot drain away. The coating (not just Ziebart) actually traps and holds the agent agains metal or paint until it goes in electrolysis and corrodes.

You'd have to find a real artist to apply the coating to the Prius to avoid these problems in future.

It's not about the product; it's about application technique and attention to detail by a technician that REALLY understands the '04 Prius.

I live in a very rainy place; I'd still pass. The Prius is a very quiet rig right out out the factory. I wouldn't mess with it.

Just drive and enjoy as is.

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think any of the common 'rust proofing' treatments are a good idea for the Prius. If you look underneath the car, most of it is sealed. This is probably to 1. reduce drag and 2. protect the electrical cabling from the generators to the battery, etc. I agree with Robert that the Prius is a very quiet car to begin with - just drive and enjoy! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts