Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Independant

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity.. Are there any Republican Prius owners? or do you know of any?

Maybe I'm stereo typing a bit here.. but I can't imagine a republican outside of a honkin huge gas guzzlin SUV...

haha...

I swear though down in California... I saw a little Prius just like mine with a Bush Cheney sticker and I was shocked! Such Hypocrisy!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Thanks for remembering that there are more than just the Republicrats, but you forgot one of the other major parties: the Reform Party (what Ross Perot and most recently Pat Buchannan ran under).

But, shouldn't this be under one of the off-topic areas, since it is very US-centric and has more to do with politics than with general Prius questions?

Most of the other Polls I've seen tend to have the expected 40+% Republicans, based on the general population...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, you can count me as one... (although I'm a potential Prius owner... not an owner yet)... I tried asking some questions at Greenhybrid.com and got shouted out of the room by a bunch of tree huggers... I couldnt believe it...

People on that forum simply couldnt relate to the fact that I wanted to buy a Hybrid simply because I am a motoring enthusiast. I currently own a Subaru Impreza and a Durango 5.9 R/T. I also own 4 motorcycles.

I love cars, motorbikes and anything that makes power. When I first kicked around the idea of buying a hybrid it was simply for fun. Then I chatted with a fellow who is part of my rider's group and he told me about how his Prius (04) tows his bikes etc and has no prob pulling his 1300lb trailer. Well.. for me this is intruiging.

I am always intereted in bizarre vehicles, and what you can do with them. In the past I owned a 27' long Lincoln Continental, (Black on Black leather) and also owned a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (this was probably the best car I have ever owned. It performed phenominally... truly outstanding car).

I was considering the Ford Escape Hybrid, but now I am thinking about the Prius instead. I may ditch the Durango just for a laugh and see what it;s like. I test drove an 03 Prius on Thursday and was impressed.

As for the "higher end" Hybrid SUVs... for an experiment on a whim, I'm simply not interested. The Durango is worth every penny I paid for it. It has been a reliable workhorse that has hauled tonnes of stuff for me, helped reno my house and has a kick ass stereo to top it off. Leather seats and heaps of power. Without it I wouldnt have been able to movce the weight that I needed to. The cost difference between a Prius and a "luxury" SUV HYbrid is a whole lotta gas in my Durnago... I've crunched the #'s and even if gas triples or quardpules its cheaper to keep feeding it...

at least I'll be driving in style!

So... I have to say... the thing that really bugged me was that I expected (much like any other "enthusiast" forums I visit) "Greenhybrid" and sites like it to be full of drivers who were modifying their cars... turbos and nitrous, bigger batteries and electric motors...

Instead I found that people were politically motiovated... Carefully calculating and sipping gas... On the other site I was told that I was "killing the world, my family, my children and the forests".

Wow... good thing they didn't hear me ask if there was a lift kit and lockers for the Ford Escape!

does that give you an insight?

Some of us buy things because they are cool, different, intersting and fun.

·
Registered
619 Posts
:D

I know some people....

Visit the site in my signature...

Got it covered.

And seriously... if no one here has actually put a turbo or nitrous or fiddled with the electric driveline on one of these yet, I know who can do it...

hmm... feels like a challenge... what's the acceleration / top speed and 1/4 mile speeds for the 05 Prius? Would be interesting to set some goals ie: increase speeds/ acceleration by say 30% and give up small amount of fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
fish-antlers, It would not be one bit interesting on this site whatsoever. Now if you can figure out how to squeeze a few more MPG please "go for it".
The Prius was designed and built to be the ultimate economy car. If you want performance figures, forget economy, throw in another ten thousand dollars and go for that type of hybrid.
I would suggest you find a way to bypass the pre heating of the catalytic converter and use of the coolant reservoir. Probably add about four or more MPG by doing this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2664/article.html

I was also thinking along the lines of installing a kawasaki ZX-14 or Suzuki "busa motor in one of the things.. both engines are much smaller displacement than the prius' 1.5 l engine, make more power and achieve better fuel economy...

aftermarket for the ZX-12R motor is huge with plenty of nitrous and turbo options out theere already

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oook...

I can understand maybe the different and fun part.. but I am sure that your purchasing dicision has nothing to do with using less gas (except for the point of personal monetary gain) or polluting less..

because if you were worried about those type of things then you wouldn't support Bush. Cause he stands against that adamantly.

Which is kinda sad...

which in my own opinion is the whole point about hybrids.

but I am suprised that there are votes for republican...

Very very strange...

·
Registered
619 Posts
sonik... I have no idea what your post means...

BTW... my purchasing choice has little or nothing to do with gas... I dont have to pay for gas so I could really care less if it was $20 a gallon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I have a deposit on one for after the first of the year ... as a Republican, I certainly want to take advantage of the tax credit! All of you Dems should forgo the tax credit, of course, and buy your Prius now.

My main reason to get a Prius is fuel economy, and it looks like many of you are obsessed by that also. And here I thought "greed" was only a Republican virtue. To hear all you Dems talk, saving money on fuel is the be-all and end-all of your existence. Pumping up the tire pressure, modifying your driving habits, calculating mileage separately when there's already a computer on board that does it for you. Sounds to me like there are a few of you ready to make the switch to the dark side and join me! :roll: :roll:

Now, if you REALLY wanted to be "green", you could ride a bike. :shock: One made of natural, organic materials, of course, because all that steel and rubber is produced in dirty factories with dirty fossil fuels. (I could shock you all and tell you that the Prius is made in a factory too, where they spray it with HIGH VOC paint without regard to the environment ... let's hope Toyota starts making them in the states, because at least then Toyota would have to start observing our more stringent air quality laws).

Just kidding, guys. Some of my best friends and family are Democrats, and while I'm passionate about my beliefs, I respect others as well. I predict though that there will be posts that won't respect my beliefs. I get called plenty of names for being a conservative!

·
Registered
219 Posts
fshagan said:
Just kidding, guys. Some of my best friends and family are Democrats, and while I'm passionate about my beliefs, I respect others as well. I predict though that there will be posts that won't respect my beliefs. I get called plenty of names for being a conservative!
If all it takes to respect others is to say "just kidding" afterwards, I predict there'll be lots of posts that will respect your beliefs just about as viciously as you respect everyone else's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sonikbabay needs to get off his "stump"

..."assumption is the mother of all evil"

I saw a Kerry sticker on an Escalade just this morning....so I guess all the matter and anti-matter is "equalized" in the world

As for the poll .....Priublican!

·
Registered
236 Posts
There isn't a "Not affiliated with any political party" option?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Conservative here, but I am a registered Republican.

I tend not to believe left wing or right wing nuts and try to find the truth which is out there if you look for it.

(btw not a big Bush fan because of his domestic agenda and his latest pick for the supreme court)

·
Registered
420 Posts
fshagan said:
My main reason to get a Prius is fuel economy, and it looks like many of you are obsessed by that also. And here I thought "greed" was only a Republican virtue. To hear all you Dems talk, saving money on fuel is the be-all and end-all of your existence. Pumping up the tire pressure, modifying your driving habits, calculating mileage separately when there's already a computer on board that does it for you. Sounds to me like there are a few of you ready to make the switch to the dark side and join me! :roll: :roll:
You're conflating two separate issues. Yes, a major reason I bought a Prius was to use less gasoline. But saving money on gasoline was no consideration at all. (Although, to the extent it occurs, it's a welcome bonus. :wink: )

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
fshagan said:
You're conflating two separate issues. Yes, a major reason I bought a Prius was to use less gasoline. But saving money on gasoline was no consideration at all. (Although, to the extent it occurs, it's a welcome bonus. :wink: )
Yes, yes, yes!!! Read Mark's post three times and see if you can get it! I also bought the Prius to use less gas (and pollute less with the gas I use), NOT to spend less on gas. If people could think outside the wallet for a few minutes, there are much larger issues that make Prius a good choice for liberals and conservatives alike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A bike would save more gas and keep you in good shape too. Being a Liberal must be hard, no matter what you do your a hypocrite, because of your beliefs. Unless your living in a mud hut, which none of you are. Join the other side, capitalism works (guilt free).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts