Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going down the road, and before I knew it, I was about to hit a black SUV. I braked, and hoped for the best.

I rear ended the beast at about 25 mph and luckily no one was seriously hurt. Since the Prius is so low, and the Extera is on the higher side, the air bag did not go off. The sensors for the air bag are in the bumper. The bumper wasn’t crushed, but it does need to be replaced, as well as the radiator, hood, windshield, and two fenders, and at least the right headlight. The top glove box won’t close, neither will the center console. I can’t open the driver’s door.That’s all I could tell and i'm not a car guy.. I had it toed to Toyota, and I talked to a tech who was on break and just gave it to me strait. He claims its totaled, and if it isn’t it is damn close. He explained why and showed. He said the engine was torn off, and went down instead of into the passenger seat. The synergy drive was moved at least one foot up and towards the driver’s seat. He said that if there’s any damage to the transmission (odds are there are) that they’ll say its gone. He also said if it was like a camry, I’d probably be hurt a little bit. “This is the first one I’ve seen in an accident, but it’s good to know that it does what it is supposed to do. Consider yourself lucky.”

Since you guys are so smart about this sort of stuff, I want your opinion and to keep you updated on this sort of thing. I don’t have any pictures for you though. I may get some if you really need it, but I’d rather not go look at it anymore. Can you do me a favor though and lay off the humor for me? Usually I’m all for it, but my prius was my baby.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Has your insurance company looked at it yet? What do they say about "totaled"? You may be better off if it's totaled and then you can get another one. If the damage you described was repaired, I can see a lot of problems down the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree. The damage as you described it is extensive and affected key components of the drive train. Sad as it may be, a ruling of "totaled" might be the best. You can apply the settlement to a new Prius that you know is in correct working order and warranted.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Question #1: can the car be driven, even if it is a very short distance because of coolant leak? If so, then drivetrain is good. If not, probably totaled.

It doesn't sound good, since the door won't open and you even have trouble with dash doors. But that might get straightened out with a body straightener.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
With the high used prices, you might get a good settlement these days for a total, depending on mileage. Have ads with the high used prices, amaybe google for articles listing the high used prices.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanMan32 said:
Question #1: can the car be driven, even if it is a very short distance because of coolant leak? If so, then drivetrain is good. If not, probably totaled.

It doesn't sound good, since the door won't open and you even have trouble with dash doors. But that might get straightened out with a body straightener.
It probably can be driven, however I wasn't willing to find out, so I cannot give you a good answer on that.

No one who has any experience (I don't count myself, or police offers) has looked at it besides the guy on break at Toyota. This just happened less than 6 hours ago, so no the insurance company has not seen it yet.

Seeing as I've never been in an accident of any kind, can you explain what you mean settlement for a total? How is that ammount decided? How much is it usually considering mine had less than 3000 miles... man this hurts to even talk about.

I'm shocked though at what damage can be caused at such a low speed. I knew that the prius wouldn't be cheap to repair, but at such a low speed and so much damage! Would it have been better if it was a smaller car, and not a suv that scrapes out the entire front of it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Unless you buy special insurance, the car (normally) depreciates quite a bit as soon as you drive it off the lot. When a car is totalled, the insurance company usually pays out what is considered fair market value for the car. So with the market value of a used Prius being arguably higher than the Kelly Blue book, you may be able to get a better settlement if they total it. I agree with the others that with this much damage, totaling it out is the right answer. It does seem like a lot of damage for a relatively low speed impact, but I guess the geometry was not favorable.

Are you OK? That's the most important thing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wont'

I personaly will not drive that car anymore.
I will not trust the best mecanic that said he fixed.

Forget it....Do not crash the next one, please.

By the way, wait for my version 2007. It is coming soon...
Get more details in this forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Astrowoman said:
Unless you buy special insurance, the car (normally) depreciates quite a bit as soon as you drive it off the lot. When a car is totalled, the insurance company usually pays out what is considered fair market value for the car. So with the market value of a used Prius being arguably higher than the Kelly Blue book, you may be able to get a better settlement if they total it. I agree with the others that with this much damage, totaling it out is the right answer. It does seem like a lot of damage for a relatively low speed impact, but I guess the geometry was not favorable.

Are you OK? That's the most important thing.

I see. Now I understand. So since the 2005 cars are not listed on the blue book website, I went with just a 2004, and the same options mine has. It says 20,530. which is a little bit less than what I paid for it.

I really don't think I can afford another one. I really already struggled to get this one, and doubt I can afford another one. Should I expect somewhere around that ammount considering it was in a major accident?

I had my seatbelt on so did everyone else involved, so we're all ok. My chest is a little sore, but I had pnemothorax (lung collapses) a few times this year, so I do have to monitor taht closely. It could have been a lot worse, I know. I'm very lucky. Thank you for your concerns.

Don't crash the next one? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well, glad you're not hurt. I don't know about the insurance in the US but here we have the option of getting a new car equivalent to the price of our car at the time of the write-off or get the total value of the car (when new) fully refunded. Obviously the latter is more expensive to insure but it gets you the full amount back. Check with which option you went with.

If it's truly all body damage (e.g. bumper, fenders, door etc), it'll be repaired. If it's like the technician said, I think they're better off writing it off than trying to fix the drivetrain.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I also would be leery of too many repairs on such a new, intricate car such as a Prius. I can't imagine Toyota or another body shop having been in a situation such as yours. I'd get the money for a "totalled" car and invest in a new Prius or car which takes away the pain and discouragement you must be feeling now. Something good should come out of all of this for you--besides your relatively minor injuries.Good luck, and keep us informed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just another vein to this, also to help a few people on understanding airbags. The sensors for airbags are not "switches". They "sense" deceleration rates. It doesn't matter if you are hit in the bumper, windshild, undercarraige, etc. If the sensors record a certain level of 'g's", they activate. Apparently, the combination of your speed, the movement of the car you hit, and the crush, kept you under these "g's"

Do not feel you have to hit something with your front bumper for your airbags to work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SgtKarl said:
Just another vein to this, also to help a few people on understanding airbags. The sensors for airbags are not "switches". They "sense" deceleration rates. It doesn't matter if you are hit in the bumper, windshild, undercarraige, etc. If the sensors record a certain level of 'g's", they activate. Apparently, the combination of your speed, the movement of the car you hit, and the crush, kept you under these "g's"

Do not feel you have to hit something with your front bumper for your airbags to work.
OH! Does anyone know what these are set at?

editL AND - How does it know to which ones to set off? Since i have the curtains, and all that, would they go off as well?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah but they won't go off unless you actually hit something. They're still passive safety features. Heck, some lady in a Malibu set of her airbag when she scraped the curb. Turns out the sensor on the Malibu was at the bottom of the front bumper.

Side and side curtain airbags only deploy in a side collision. The sensors are at the base of the "B" pillar. Just look in the owner's manual, a diagram is in there.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
gasik1417 said:
...but my prius was my baby.
:cry: smooch and a pat or two, Gasik. It feels nasty to do that to the baby, when it was being so good. It'll be ok, though. :cry:

·
Registered
669 Posts
gasik1417 said:
http://gasik.com/priuspics/prius.htm

Here are the pictures if it'll help you.
I could only bring myself to look at the first two. :cry: Poor baby. I have to say it sure looks totaled to me. The damage is clearly extending into the engine compartment even if the body is fixable. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
gasik1417 said:
http://gasik.com/priuspics/prius.htm

Here are the pictures if it'll help you.
Oooh, the HUMANITY!!! :cry: (I guess it's really Priusity, but still!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you really look closely... all of the saftey features worked... especially the crumble (sp) zones.

I still have hope that I will be driving a Prius within two months...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts