Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a "lock kit" which can be purchased for the lid of the Rear Storage Compartment for the 2004 Prius?

Some readers may have owned a 1990 to 1995 Volvo wagon. This wagon had the same type of Rear Storage Compartment as the 2004 Prius. Volvo had installed on each Rear Storage Compartment lid a key lock flush with the surface of the lid. This compartment functioned very much like a small trunk providing a more secure storage, not only out of sight but also under "lock & key". A very welcome feature when leaving the car with a parking lot attendant....

Unfortunately, Toyota has not seen fit to offer a lock for the Rear Storage Compartment.

Does anybody have any suggestions...?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks like you are pretty well stuck with a custom lock install, which to get a good craftsman to do a sanitary job could be pretty expensive (compared to better insurance.)

From what I recall looking at that compartment while my wife was asking why shouldn't it have a lock, my first impression was that I didn't see a simple way for me as a DIY guy to do a neat job. Maybe some truly ingenious folks will work it out and share the idea.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
rear compartment lock

FWIW Volvo deleted the lock in later models (I had a 95 and when we got a 2000 it was no longer there). They also had the cheek to delete the lock cylinder from the passenger door and the wagon hatch. On a car in that price range!

Steve
Portland, OR
2002 Brilliant Blue
34999 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts