Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many factors were considered in deciding whether or not buy a Prius. In retrospect, what was your PRIMARY reason...and WHY?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There is no other car that holds as many people, or as much cargo, and has the available features of the Prius that comes anywhere close in fuel economy.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was torn between buying "green" and getting a sporty little car. After test driving some VERY different cars, the Prius was the one that felt like home, so I bought it. The fact that it is roomy inside was a factor, too, as both other available vehicles are 2-door, 2-seats (the truck will seat 5 but only if the other 3 are legless.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
PRIMARY REASON

Primary reason: combines fuel efficiency with plenty of cargo space

which helps the environment and reduces dependence on Middle East
plus its cheaper.

Secondary: great car, love the looks and how it drives! Not a car person or a technology person, but fell in LOVE with the Prius.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Primary for me was the fantastic miles per gallon. Toyota's reputation for building fine cars was second. It wasn't until I had already committed to the car and came here to read that I realized how "green" my white Prius actually was. I suspect that will be my primary reason for getting another hybrid in the future. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fuel economy was the primary reason, the great look was also important!

·
Registered
199 Posts
reason

My mom could no longer get into my Sport Trac and I was a bit tired of filling up that 22 gallon tank. Overall I am happy with the gas mileage, love the gadgets and but I am most of all proud to say that I am harming the enviroment less every day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since my job moved, and I had to start commuting, single occupant access to HOV lanes was the single most important factor. In fact, once I heard about this benefit, I made the decision to purchase either the Prius or Civic Hybrid as long as I could fit in it (which I do barely).

I probably would not have purchased a Prius if not for this benefit, though I'm sure I would have considered it. I had a pre-existing bias against the Prius (i.e. concerns about the true cost, technology and size of the car), but once I investigated I may have purchased it anyway. Its hard to say. Fuel economy and eco-friendliness would have been the main factors in that case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sold on the idea of a car that makes sense! That is, it doesn't waste gas sitting in traffic or at stoplights.
That, and I prefer the design of the Prius over the Civic hybrid.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Technology was #1 for me. Mileage was #2. Auto climate and digital dash was also in there very high for me. The reality is I wasn't thinking green at all.

The Prius is the first vehicle with a truly revolutionary way of trying to reduce fuel consumption. Rather than trying to engineer fuel efficiency into an existing automotive package with limited results, Toyota chose to design something entirely new and as such they didn't engineer a minor improvement, but they invented a new way of creating motive power for automobiles. There hasn't been such a huge change in cars since the car was invented.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1. I needed a car to replace a tired full-size (18mpg) sedan.
2. Prius technology.. not just the mpg.. the whole package.
3. Ease of driving in my suburban environment. (I don't drive long distances). Starts easy, drives smooth and quiet, easy to park.
4. I like the look of it... kinda like the orginal VW bug.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
The fuel economy and the nav system combine to make it the perfect commuting, altho highly uncomfortable, econobox.
Comfort will vary based on individual size, shape, etc. I drove mine across the country and back in 2 weeks, with a 5 day stay back East. My driving days varied from 400 to 1100 miles (6 - 16 hours) and found it to be quite comfortable.

·
Registered
457 Posts
the perfect commuting, altho highly uncomfortable, econobox.

I've occasionally seen this comment before with particular regard to the lack of seat adjustment. It seems to fit me very well at 5-10, 165#. Is that the "uncomfortable" part or is it something else..?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
The fuel economy and the nav system combine to make it the perfect commuting, altho highly uncomfortable, econobox.
I also don't consider a car that has a navigation system, automatic climate control, blue tooth phone support and the keyless ignition to be an econobox. Sure they are options, but they are not typically available on an econobox (like a Civic).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If you are six feet and keep the seat far enough back so that your knees don't continually try to knock the shift lever around your arms have to be outstretched completely in an uncomfortable position. I thought by now (06) Toyota would have adopted something similar to the Honda Civics telescoping wheel.
Drove the Civic hybrid today and The car I had (06 and on the showroom floor) comes complete with all those goodies for $23,490.
Not nearly as "hi tech" as the Prius but does claim to get 50 city and 50 highway. Car I drove was one week old, has a 13.9 gallon tank and averaged 47 mpg on first tankfull. Specifies 0W/20 wgt oil for increased milage "all seasons". Engine seems to run all the time and car does have a large tachometer, along with a full set of instruments. Does shut down completely at full stops. Standard A/C system "No inverter" and is very similar to the Camry with a little more interior room. Similar performance to Prius but a little smoother. Car gets it's great milage from keeping both the exhaust and intake valves open longer under no load conditions thus according to the manual decreasing the cubic inch size of the engine and thus less demand for fuel. It's a much simpler way to go hybrid and since it is primarily ICE operated can probably be serviced at any local garage.
The single electric motor and ICE are connected to a similar one speed transmission similar to the Prius Power transfer unit.
Seems to have a standard power assisted hydraulic brake system.

·
Registered
548 Posts
redwein said:
I also don't consider a car that has a navigation system, automatic climate control, blue tooth phone support and the keyless ignition to be an econobox. Sure they are options, but they are not typically available on an econobox (like a Civic).
I consider any car where I can't adjust the steering wheel or the seat height, which has a preponderance of hard plastic, and where the fabric comes off the few places where it has fabric, to be an econobox. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts