Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time mag reported price of gas as $6.48/gal last week in Netherlands.

Prices in UK & Germany have been reported in $5.-$6. a gal range.

Some day, for some reason, the tooth fairy who is protecting U.S. drivers with prices about 1/3 these levels, is going to get tired and go home.., and leave us to face reality.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Where I am (In London), Petrol is about 85p a litre (about $1.60).... Not sure what that is in Gallons though!

Don't know what the conversion is.....

S

·
Registered
81 Posts
YxTerWd said:
Price in Salzburg(Austria):

- 0,9€/litre ($4.42 per gallon)

Robert
Price in Italy: (95 RON)

- 1.15€/Litre ($3.34 per gallon)

(What kind of exchange rate did you use, YxTerWd?)
1 US gallon = 3.78 Litres
1 US $ = 1.30€

·
Registered
39 Posts
The.Tramp said:

1 US $ = 1.30€
Actually when I was in Europe last week the exchange rate was the other way around, namely 1.30$ per Euro. So, using 1.15 Euros/liter @ 1.30 $/Euro yields $1.495/liter, and @ 3.78 l/gal yields $5.65/gal. Ouch!

·
Registered
81 Posts
ltu1542hvy said:
Actually when I was in Europe last week the exchange rate was the other way around, namely 1.30$ per Euro. So, using 1.15 Euros/liter @ 1.30 $/Euro yields $1.495/liter, and @ 3.78 l/gal yields $5.65/gal. Ouch!
Sorry, my mistake. :oops:

·
Registered
115 Posts
From my understanding the US gets much lower prices due to the fact that we provided a lot of funding, engineers, and materials to get the Middle East oil industry started. I am not sure how long the agreement is suppose to last. Also, only 10-15% of our oil is being imported. The rest we get from US wells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is all about the tax...

The price difference between gasoline in Europe and in USA has nothing to do with where the supply comes from or old favors done for Saudi Arabia.

In USA the amount of tax on gasoline is about 30% of the price at the pump while in Europe it can be up to around 80% (depending on the country).

For example, say that the price for a gallon of petrol including the profit-margins the gas companies have is $1.50 in both USA and in UK. Then the price at the pump in USA will be $1.50/0.7 = $2.14 and in UK $1.5/0.2 = $7.5 ...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SiJ2000 said:
Where I am (In London), Petrol is about 85p a litre (about $1.60).... Not sure what that is in Gallons though!

Don't know what the conversion is.....

S
3.785 times liter price =s gal price or $6.056 per gal equivalent

·
Registered
425 Posts
The.Tramp said:

1 US $ = 1.30€
We drove to Paestum (South of Naples, Italy) last week and paid 1.25/ltr ! Most expensive petrol Ive ever bought. We drove from Munich to Paestum on just under 1 & 1/4 tanks. Over 3500Km total, Euro 200 for fuel in a week.

Quiet happy, dispite the car giving us the red triangle and engine check in south italy!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Victor said:
The.Tramp said:

- 1.15€/Litre
We drove to Paestum (South of Naples, Italy) last week and paid 1.25/ltr ! Most expensive petrol Ive ever bought. We drove from Munich to Paestum on just under 1 & 1/4 tanks. Over 3500Km total, Euro 200 for fuel in a week.
The region of Campania pays extra tax than the rest of the country, and I don't know why! :-(

OTOH the area near Switzerland, the locals have a 0.30€ discount to protect italian gas stations, 'cause the locals used to go to Switzerland to fill their car up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Europeans are smart. I think they made themselves relatively independent of oil (compared to the U.S.) by taxing it very high. That kept the money at home. They build/support superb public transit with that tax money.

I believe the high tax on gasoline in Eu acts as a sort of rationing system. The Eu citizen has responded appropriately by making wide use of public transit, and choosing small fuel efficient cars. (SUVs are banned in Paris !!)

Although a Eu motorist may pay 3 times as much as an American motorist for a gal of gas, I wonder if you looked at how much they spend for gas as a % of income, or total spent on gas per family for a year, I suspect it might possibly be LESS than an equivalent American...because they use public transit and choose small efficient vehicles. I dont know, but that is a quess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What does our government do, why they cut back on public transportation funding. They cut the budget for Amtrak, according to one quote in the news, a congressman said that Amtrak should be self-sufficient.
Here in Connecticut, they cut the funding to convert an abandoned railroad line into a bus-way. Once again they said it was “too costly”, not “economically feasible”.

·
Registered
81 Posts
An04Prius said:
The high tax on gasoline in Eu acts as a sort of rationing system. The Eu citizen has responded appropriately by making wide use of public transit, and choosing small fuel efficient cars. (SUVs are banned in Paris !!)
Whoah! Hold your horses! :) The SUV ban in Paris is a proposal, not a law! :) Other Italian cities wnt to propose the same ban, like Florence, where the ban would apply to any car whose wheel is taller than 70 cm.
There is a congestion charge of £5 to enter London, valid for all cars, while Italian cities tend to ban cars who don't fulfill certain pollution limits.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts