Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am thinking about buying a Prius in Sweden. Unfortunately the price here is a lot higher than in the states, the model offered here go for about 38000 USD... I would like to know what the approximate price is in US for a prius with the same configuration.

This model in Sweden is equipped with ABS, EBD, BA, VSC+, E-TRC, 4 speakers JBL sound system, 6CD changer, Climate controll, keyless system etc. But NOT with for instance navigation system, parking sensors.

One possible reason for the significantly higher price in Sweden may be our sales tax (at 25%, thus the price w/o tax is around 30000 USD). Does the MSRP quoted on US sites include sales tax? (If not it would be interesting to know what your tax rates are, somewhere I read between 4-6% is that correct?)

Regards

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You could check out the comparable US price at http://www.Edmunds.com. You can designate options and find out what people are paying for a comparable car.

As for tax, the price quoted is without tax. In the United States we pay sales tax based on state and/or local rates. In New Jersey, for example (east coast state), we pay 6% sales tax. Delaware, the state just south of NJ, has no sales tax at all. Some places have a state sales tax and a local sales tax. There is also a fee to register the car (usually a couple hundred dollars).

·
Registered
232 Posts
California....(Orange Co.) = 7.75% tax ......

not to mention buldging gas prices $2.27 for regular unleaded and climbing! :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
you might want to speak with other European owners here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-Europe/

packages appear to vary from country to country... you may get a better comparison by using a European spec. Prius. (different size wheels/tires, different suspension, different emissions system (no thermos or bladder fuel tank) in Europe...)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Thanks for the suggestions

jimmieln said:
Does anyone know why the european Prius lacks the "thermos"?
Maybe there are more places with good coffee there, so they don't have to bring their own from home. Hep might know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts