Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my maintenance book the other day, and there are hardly any big ticket services listed in it. Oil changes are every 5000 miles, and the spark plugs and coolant are changed at 100 K miles. Most other cars would require changes to the brake fluid, coolant, plugs, brake pads, air filters, transmission fluids, gear oils several times before 100 K miles.

Seems like the Prius is one low normal maintenance car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Seems like the Prius is one low normal maintenance car"

Very nice to hear that. Never realized that the Prius is such a low maintenance vehicle.

Not sure if this question has been asked before or not, but has anybody have their 30,000 miles service done? How much did it cost and what items are covered?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The thing you have to watch out for with regard to even mileage services is the fact that dealerships, especially their service writers, are either used to selling large and relatively expensive packages of services to customers at milestone mileage points that they are totally taken aback by the minor maintenance needed on the Prius. Historically, milestone maintenances have been huge profit centers for dealerships. The Prius breaks that formula.

When you go in for a milestone maintenance you are going to have to specifiy what you want done according to Toyota's book and make sure they only charge you for those specific services.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
$44 for a cabin filter? Gee wiz! Just go to the parts counter and buy BOTH air filters (ICE and cabin) for less than that, and install it yourself. Takes less than 5 minutes, unless you have a bunch of junk in the glove box you need to take out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
These days when you buy a car the salespeople will tell you the car does not require a tune up until 100,000 miles. But when you asked how much for major services most of the time they don't want to tell you because they don't want you to know.

The other car I have is a German car. When I bought it few years ago, I asked the salesman about the costs for major services. He said it's not that expensive. I guess it's all relative. Then I did some research. The 30,000 mile service will cost $600-700 depends on where you go.(Granted it's more expensive in our region). Even an oil change I was quoted $240. I smiled at him/raised my eyebrows and said '$240 for an oil change, huh?' He said yes then later changed it to $190 instead. I didn't want to get ripped off I ended up change the oil myself.

And Yes, that's why it's important to know the costs of the major services, and don't get ripped off. These are huge profit generators for the dealerships.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, Dan (& others),

If you think $44.95 is bad for a cabin air filter replacement service, my dealer in the past few months has sent me flyers with specials for lots of different services that I know I won't need because they are generic services (not Prius specific). The only one I really remember the price of was the cabin filter because it was so ridiculous----$69.95 on special!!! I'll have to ask them if that price is for certain labor-intensive cars or across the board.

Oil changes were $24.95 last year (my 1st one was FREE), & they are now up to $29.95 (I think it was, in the latest flyer). I got a good deal with them in their 1st flyer---6 oil & filter chgs for $99 ($16.50 each). Tire rotations (& reset pressures) were $16.95 last year & went up to $18.95 last time I was in.

A little off topic now, I was in Plymouth, Mass for my birthday Saturday & saw 5 different Priuses besides mine toot'g around town---that was fun (one of them was a Tideland gray with flame decals or magnets by the rear wheel wells---boy, did that look HOT!!). Then Sunday coming home, ran convoy with one on the Mass Pike until I got off at Sturbridge. But curiously while at the hotel on the weekend, I saw an ad for a "brand new" (they said those exact words) Toyota Highlander (not a Hybrid) for $18,900 . I hadn't really been paying much attention until I heard the words "brand new Toyota" & looked up to see the image of a Highlander with the $18,900 price written beside it, just as they were saying "Highlander for only $18,900".

I was in such shock that I didn't think to watch for the dealership's name, nor could I hear any further details. I only saw that ad once & assumed it was a Boston area dealer since most of the local stations are in Boston. But it also could have been a Cape Cod or other far out dealer advertising on the local cable system that the hotel uses. That price had to be wrong, didn't it? I don't think even a stripped down 2-wheel drive can be had that low. I'll have to visit Toyota"s "build your own" site.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.