Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm extremely excited about the upcoming purchase of a 2005 Prius, but I am debating the best route for this purchase. Has anyone here bought a Prius in the Boston area? Below MSRP? Is it unrealistic to expect to pay less than sticker?

Also, any details on the wait time in/around Boston? I've emailed a number of dealers, but surprisingly few have gotten back to me with answers...

I can't wait to ditch my '99 Mercury Mystique -- good while I was in school, but now I'm ready for a grown-up car that still looks cool!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
melissa said:
...I can't wait to ditch my '99 Mercury Mystique -- good while I was in school, but now I'm ready for a grown-up car that still looks cool!
Prius is a grown up car? Yer kidding. NOW you tell me! :shock: What am I supposed to do with it NOW??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prius: car for grown-ups

Yep, your Prius is a grown-up car. I can't believe the dealer didn't share that information with you...

And although I posted this elsewhere, my impatience is getting the better of me right now: do you know anything about the Costco discount? I am excited about the recent grad discount (it will let me feel like I'm getting in below MSRP even if I'm not).

I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait.... as soon as I'm ready to deal with the dealer (i.e., have all my information together), I'm going in to make a deposit - with a 2-4 month wait.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
do a search on this forum, using the word "COSTCO." There was a recent discussion of how much the savings was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sanny said:
do a search on this forum, using the word "COSTCO." There was a recent discussion of how much the savings was.
Thanks... I did that, and the only related post I found was the one that mentioned getting $750 below MSRP for being a member of Costco. That seems like a pretty steep discount, but there's no information on the Costco site about it. I'll keep looking (or email that person directly).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Melissa,
I bought mine at IRA in Milford. This was back in Jan.

I didn't email the dealerships but called them. They were receptive to phone calls and they did a good job of staying in touch via phone.

I called 18 dealerships in Southern NH and Mass, placed refundable deposits with 3 of themand had my name in with about 8 of them. I placed the deposits with dealerhsips that didn't have long waiting lists.

I had been told that wait times were 3 months fo the larger dealerships but I received numerous calls from sales people saying that they had one coming in that the buyer backed out on or the car came in and the buyer didn't like the color. I found that by staying in touch, I was able to get the color and option package that I wanted. And, I had no problem getting my deposits back.

I paid MSRP (less $400 for being a student). In mid-Jan. this is what all the dealerships were charging except for one slimeball operation in Haverhill. Don't know what the going rate in the Boston area is but you'll find out by making several calls.

Cheers and good luck,
-bob

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Gilles at Westboro Toyota was for a while giving a discount off of MSRP if you were a member of an environmental group...

Otherwise, as long as you're not paying over MSRP, and not paying for options or accessories or aftermarket stuff you don't want, you're doing OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bobc and mrv. I think I'll end up going through Boch - according to one of their salespeople (who knows if it's really true) Boch Toyota is the second largest dealer in the world, the largest in New England, and they're saying it's a 6-8 week wait or less (as opposed to 2-4 months + elsewhere). They're quoting MSRP, which I guess I'll have to accept.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Two Cents

We just got our Prius from Copeland Toyota in Brockton, exactly one week ago.

I called and emailed dealerships throughout Boston and New England, and they were the only ones who were responsive in searching for the color/package I wanted. They were the only dealers I spoke with willing to do a dealer search for the color we wanted (although they had a bunch of silvers on the lot ready to go). When that failed, they were allocated the car within a couple days of my contacting them, and although they said it would take 2-3 weeks, it arrived in one week.

They charged exactly MSRP, plus $198 doc fee. I know, I know, but what can you do? It was worth it to get our beautiful Seaside Pearl, BI package.

They were responsive and professional the whole time.

And for what it's worth, they claim to be the New England dealer with the largest number of Priuses allocated to them.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If your not in any hurry and the time frame is OK stick with Boch. If you want one sooner call a couple more suburban Dealers. I found fifty on the list at Hyannis, 32 on the list at Bourne, 28 on the list at Tauton and 6 on the list at South Dartmouth (New Bedford) They were all planning on two a month but Toyota Dartmouth had mine in three weeks with package and color wanted at MSRP. Although a long time member I can't tell you anything about Costco.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright - now the silly part

I'm so giddy about this!!! I'm thinking I'd like black with a grey interior, but I see tons of posters with the Seaside or Tideland Pearl color. Are people choosing these colors because Black shows more dirt? I know I'm overthinking this, but I can't help it!! I'm just so excited!! :D

Thoughts on the interior color?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Black/grey

I have Silver with grey interior and I love it. I've had up to three young kids commuting in the backseat, and it still looks very good.

You should choose the color you want! I've seen some nice shiny black ones, and I'm sure you'd love it.

BTW, I did notice that Boch is at least listing two new ones in stock on the webpage....but maybe they are spoken for.

Good luck! Your giddiness is infectious :lol: , so keep us posted (so to speak)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Melissa,

Go to http://www.costco.com and click Services and then Auto Sales. After you fill in some personal info and what you're after, it'll return with the contact name at the dealership that works with the Costco program in your area. You call them or they call you. I'm waiting to hear from them today. Hopefully, they can beat MSRP. I'll let you know.

I've narrowed it down between the Tideland and the Salsa. I have a black Accord and I got tired of washing it so I don't .

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
RoboChemE said:
Melissa,

Go to http://www.costco.com and click Services and then Auto Sales. After you fill in some personal info and what you're after, it'll return with the contact name at the dealership that works with the Costco program in your area. You call them or they call you. I'm waiting to hear from them today. Hopefully, they can beat MSRP. I'll let you know.

I've narrowed it down between the Tideland and the Salsa. I have a black Accord and I got tired of washing it so I don't .

Good luck
I just heard back from them -$200 off of MSRP. I'm putting a deposit down tomorrow and it'll be here next week

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isabelle,

With regards to a black vehicle, there's absolutely no question that nothing looks better than a black vehicle. But, that's when it's clean. Unfortunately, 30 minutes after you wash it, it shows dust. Black cars are really hard to keep clean and they need a good coat of wax to make them shine. And, scratches show very easily on them. My first vehicle was a black one and I loved it but it was always a lot of work to keep it clean and to keep from scratching it when I washed it.

If you're thinking about black, look around at some cars parked on the street and see what they look like and notice all the scratches on them. If you do like black, tho, read on some detailing forums to learn a bit about how to keep from scratching it when cleaning it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
669 Posts
My personal suggestion is to not get too attached to a specific color if you want to get the best price on any given day... The one thing I didn't want was silver, too many silver sedans out there. Would have loved Seaside, got Driftwood. Now Driftwood is very good for parking at the barn as it is much the same color as the dust...

The main problem with black, as I see it, is that it is a bit hotter in the summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Costco in/around Boston

Hi everyone. I tried that Costco link, but here's what I got after I put in my information -

At this time, we do not have an authorized dealership representing the manufacturer you selected within a close proximity to your address. Our professional automotive staff is continually adding new quality dealerships to the Auto Program. Please check back with us periodically to see if we have established dealerships in your area.

It was definitely worth a try, so thanks for the information! And thank you to everyone else for color suggestions! I'll keep you posted! Literally!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Boch

Melissa;

You may have noticed that Boch is showing 7 new Prius in various
colors and packages as of today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We were one of the lucky ones who walked onto the lot, looking at a Corolla, expecting the months of waiting, and there was the Prius-available because of the people who ordered the car backed out. (They were expecting it in May/June and it showed up in March...they couldn't get the funds together-so the car was available)
So we didn't have a choice in color-but I love what we ended up with. We had a great experience with the dealer in Salem, NH-but I'd say Boch would have been our 2nd choice. (location was a factor)

Nice to see so many NewEnglanders around! We should organize a meet sometime.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Just out of curiousity, I've been watching and hearing Ernie Boch for years and now Ernie Junior proclaim they are the second largest Toyota dealer in the world. Does anyone know who is the largest? My guess would be that he is in California! Certainly, not in Japan. Another guess would be that if it were not be for the United States, Toyota would be a very small car company.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts