Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see anybody else having this problem, so I'm hoping somebody can help.

It seems the driver's power window works fine, but all other windows won't work, either from the driver's switch or the individual window switch. I know it can't be that all three power window motors went bad at the same time, so there must be somethng else wrong. I also don't know when this started, since I don't put the windows down very often.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
" the driver's power window works fine, but all other windows won't work, either from the driver's switch or the individual window switch."
That sounds like your "passenger lockout" button is on. Check the small square button on the drivers arm rest. (Check your owner's manual) ~JD~

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The lockout also locks out the driver's window (this is a real annoyance!), so it won't be that simple. But since the driver's and others are wired individually, but may come together at that lockout switch, I would still look as Dan suggests at the switches and wiring inside the driver door panel.

If I had it open, I'd experiment and see if I coudln't bypass the lockout for the driver's window. I want to lock out the kids, but if I want to move mine, I have to open them all up. Kids are quick on the draw!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it all begins to make sense. It seems my three-year-old daughter has been doing more than just unlocking the doors when I let her press the "Unlock" button.

It sounds like that should work. When I get the Prius away from my wife I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again JDavies, DanMan32, and KTPhil for the help.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
KTPhil said:
The lockout also locks out the driver's window (this is a real annoyance!), so it won't be that simple. But since the driver's and others are wired individually, but may come together at that lockout switch, I would still look as Dan suggests at the switches and wiring inside the driver door panel.

If I had it open, I'd experiment and see if I coudln't bypass the lockout for the driver's window. I want to lock out the kids, but if I want to move mine, I have to open them all up. Kids are quick on the draw!
On my 04, the lockout does not lock the driver's window. With the lock button depressed, the driver's window works normally. Maybe you should have yours checked.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The Window Lockout Button in my 04 does NOT lock the driver's window.... Only the other three. That's what the owner's manual say's it's supposed to do. ~JD~

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The window lockout on my US 2001 and 2004 will disable the power window switches at the 3 passenger doors, and will not let the driver control those 3 windows either from the driver's remote location. The driver's window switch still works as expected for the driver's window.

However, on Canadian Prius (not sure if Classic or 2004-?), the lockout button will only stop the 3 passenger doors from controling the power windows - the driver can still control the windows from the driver's remote location.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem has been solved.

Yes, it was the lockout button. Yes, the three passenger windows would not work from either their switch or the driver's control panel. The driver could still operate the driver's window as normal. That's why it took awhile to find out that the lockout button was pushed.

And I did finally get the Prius away from my wife long enough to see too that it is a 2005 model. Of course, I should have remembered when we bought it, since she told me I would be driving it most of the time.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I realize that few owners go to their manuals when they have a problem because of the difficulty of locating the subject. The writers of the Prius manual might just as well skipped what they enclosed as an "index." The window operation is on page 40/41 and well explained.
How about one of you computer whizzes coming up with a positive index for the Prius models and selling them on "E"bay. Put me down for "two" How difficult would it have been for Toyota to have just mentioned "windows" in their index?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you

You'll find the lockout button next to the door lock button.
I've registered on this forum, just to say thank you to @JDavies and @DanMan32. This was driving me mad. I've actually owned my 08 Prius for three years, but never used that lock button.

Last night I wound down the passenger window to push open the wing mirror, then I went to put it back up again and the window wouldn't budge. I kept trying, but still no joy. So I left the window open over night, and all day today whilst at work. Then after work bought a fuse because I thought it would be that. Changed the fuse, and still no luck.

Then Googled it, and this was the second result. Hit the button and the windows worked again.

What a stupid design! It makes sense to lock the windows so kids can't play with them, but surely the driver should still be able to operate them.

Argh. Anyway, thanks once again JDavies and DanMan32

1 - 15 of 15 Posts