Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I am a freak about cleanliness. Has anyone ever tried to steam clean (power wash) their engine? I use to do it all the time with my other cars but was a little reluctant to do it with the Prius. Any suggestions? As anyone attempted this before?

Regards,
BitShifter

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't spray the coils on the spark plugs and don't spray the HSD inverter box. You may regret it. It's probably not real wise to spray the orange wires either. If you just clean the engine block, it might be ok. I imagine it depends on how good your aim and splash control are.

·
Registered
249 Posts
power/steam washing

I will wait until a good and experimented prior experience from somebody... Wait...

·
Registered
70 Posts
BitShifter01 said:
Ok, So I am a freak about cleanliness. Has anyone ever tried to steam clean (power wash) their engine? I use to do it all the time with my other cars but was a little reluctant to do it with the Prius. Any suggestions? As anyone attempted this before?

Regards,
BitShifter
If you're also freakish about rust (and your car starting reliably) don't "clean" in the engine bay. If you insist upon removing superficia grit and grime (which might help avoid having it end up in the environment) then use a product designed for the job, for example WD40 or something from CRC. Don't use a degreaser, don't steam clean and don't use a lot of water -- a hand pump spray wouldn't do any harm, but a garden hose could wreak havoc. I suggest you focus your OCD on the paint ... check out autopia.com or carcareonline.com etc. : )

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Probably a bad idea. Consider all the trouble Toyota went to to exclude water from the drive compartment: seals around the hood, splash guards, et cetera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts