Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Camry bit the bullet about a week back and she desperately wanted to get a Prius but can't wait because she has to work. But she also wanted Navigation. The only Prius available was Package 2 (A) which doesn't have it.

So we asked the dealer about a post-factory OEM NAV install using the existing screen. He came back today and said that we could do that and there are 3 options all below $2K.

Does anybody have a clue why there's 3 options?

Thanks

~D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'd like to know what options the dealer refers to that actually does use the existing MFD. There are no such options I know of. At least not OEM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanMan32 said:
I'd like to know what options the dealer refers to that actually does use the existing MFD. There are no such options I know of. At least not OEM.
That's what I would like to know! My wife is going to the dealer without me to pick it up and make a decision and THAT has me worried, because she's not a techno-phile like me.

I really didn't think it would be that complicated as the screen is the same. I thought it would just be a simple as:
1. pod changeout ( the shell surrounding the screen)
2. pop in GPS computer
3. GPS antenna addition.
4. Service mode ROM change to recognize the hardware

Something tells me they are going to try to pop in a new head unit that is not factory OEM. But I didn't think that was possible given the highly integrated nature of the prius.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll bet they will put in a aftermarket external Nav system like a Garmin.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
aren't there more buttons on the steering wheel for NAV when it's OEM than there are if it isn't? Where's the dealer planning to put the buttons? Replace steering wheel too? I didn't think he could add a "Prius" NAV aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just to note, for a Classic Prius, it is possible to put in a factory navigation system afterwards, but it's not very practical (pricy) to do so. You'd be missing the "box" (ECU and gyroscopes), the DVD disk, mounting hardware, a wiring harness, and the GPS antenna (which lives all the way behind everything in the dash). The buttons are already on the dash. For what was a US $1900 factory option, is over $4000 in parts alone, not including quite a bit of labor...

The Navigation option price for the 2004+ Prius was calculated to be somewhere still around $1900 (after factoring out the other stuff in the package). You're missing all of the above stuff from the Classic, except now you also have to change out the steering wheel and the MFD screen bezel. I haven't seen a report yet from someone who's found a wrecked 2004+ with Nav, and stripped the parts for installation in their current non-nav 2004+ Prius.

I would suspect that your dealer is offering some aftermarket system that adds a screen to your dash, or into the headrests of the front seat. I haven't seen a video/audio aux-in solution yet (though I hear CoastalETech is close).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Not just the bezel, but the whole screen, as the screen/bezel is one piece. Non nav has 4 buttons, nav has 7. You could get away with not having all the steering wheel control buttons, though BT would be harder to answer.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It wouldn't be too much harder, because the "phone call" screen comes up with the little green "off-hook". So you could just push that, but I agree, knowing right where the off-hook button on the steering wheel is, without even having to look is great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's official dealer/salesman lied

My wife went to the installation site today (as she was instructed to do). Official verdict: It can't be done. She took delivery of the vehicle yesterday so there is no returning it.

I'm going to speak to the general sales manager at Diehl toyota, York PA and complain before posting a negative review here, prius chat, and better business bureau. :x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I talked to the sales manager at Diehl Toyota. He seems to be willing to work with us, so he does get a thumbs up for that. He offered to take the car back and trade it in for a new white one that's coming in this Saturday with option package C.

Thanks for your help all,
~Don

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DigitalGriffin said:
Well I talked to the sales manager at Diehl Toyota. He seems to be willing to work with us, so he does get a thumbs up for that. He offered to take the car back and trade it in for a new white one that's coming in this Saturday with option package C.

Thanks for your help all,
~Don
WONDERFUL!! Nothing like a lot of noise about a less than informed (giving benefit of doubt, rather than suggesting dishonest) sales weenie. Enjoy the package C! You'll have a blast!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts