Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until the past week or so it seemed to me that when I powered down the car with a full charge (green bars indicated) then powered up in the morning I still had a full charge with the green bars showing.

The past week or so when I power up from a full charge the night before I'm one blue bar above the half way mark and it takes me almost the full 7 miles to work to get it back to a full charge with green bars indicated.

I have checked and rechecked and there are no interior lights on and the car is properly being powered down.

I haven't done anything different except for adding a bluetooth phone.

Anything I'm missing besides a possible battery or charging problem?

I am driving to work with the lights on in the a.m. (no a/c) but that wouldn't explain the battery being somewhat discharged upon statup. Also, I've driven at night with the a/c and lights on and I remember full green bars most of the time. My driving habbits haven't chaged and my route is the same.

Any ideas??
Thanks!!
Kurt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Discharge

Hmmmm, maybe I'm imagining it but I don't remember any battery discharge from the car sitting over night. I especially don't remember it taking so long to recharge back to full green bars.

Oh well. Maybe it is my imagination. You know what they say is the first thing to go?? :wink:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I don't think anything is wrong with the vehicle. Quite to the contrary, I think you have seen green bars in the battery display of the MFD a little too often. This is probably due to driving habits and the geography of the area you live in. This isn't a bad thing, however the vehicle is designed to keep the battery charge in a "sweet spot".

So, the top of the battery indicator on the MFD is actually 80% of capacity and the very bottom of the indicator is 40% of capactiy. With that said the vehicle likes to keep the battery at about 50-60% capacity, which means that the graphy will not be at 7 bars, but at 6 or 5 bars and therefore will be blue most of the time. When the battery is at 7 or more bars and is green the car tends to use the battery more for propulsion and other items before hitting the ICE for significant amounts of power. On the other hand, as the battery gets below 5 bars it tends to want to use the ICE more and will run the ICE nonstop if the display is red and the bars are low.

With all of that said, I have this suspicion that when parking the car with green bars, when you start out in the morning and get going the car is actively working to use that "extra" charge rather than having a greater reliance on ICE power. The car will continue to run the ICE as normal for warm up purposes, however it will still use more electric than normal because the battery is not in its "sweet spot" and the car is compelled to run the battery in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
POSSIBLE BATTERY OR CHARGING PROBLEM

OK, SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL ME WHAT THE GREEN BARS MEAN AND WHEN YOU SEE THEM. ONLY ONCE HAVE I SEEN THEM ON MY 04 PRIUS AND I THOUGHT I DID SOMETHING WRONG. I WAS SITTING WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND IN THE ACCESSORY MODE SO I COULD RUN MY LAPTOP AND RADIO FOR ABOUT 20 OR 30 MINUTES. WHEN I RESTARTED THE CAR, THE BARS WERE GREEN AND DOWN TO 2. THEY CHARGED FULLY THEN THE BARS WERE BACK TO BLUE. THEY NEVER EVER EVER GO PAST ABOUT 3/4 FULL ON THE BLUE. IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY CAR?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Unless you're inside a closed garage, leave the car ON and in "P" when sitting. Otherwise you just run down the batteries for no good reason.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Angie, can you turn your caps lock off? All caps is regarded as shouting in the computer community.

1-2 bars: red/pink/violet, whatever you want to call it.
3-6 bars: Blue
7-8 bars: Green
9-10 bars: Count again or get glasses. There are no 9 and 10 bars.

In an idle/parked setting, the car will let it go down to 2 bars before the ICE is started to charge it back to top of 2nd or 3rd bar.

Under normal cruising, the system generally maintains 6 bars.
Above 6 bars and the car will side on using more electric power. I find the MPG better if SOC has gotten to the top end of 6 or more, even when it settles back down to nominal 6 bars.

The bars are not linear. Some bars have more of an absolute range than others, and there is a histeresis between going up to the next bar versus going down to the lower bar.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DanMan32 said:
1-2 bars: red/pink/violet, whatever you want to call it.
3-6 bars: Blue
7-8 bars: Green
9-10 bars: Count again or get glasses. There are no 9 and 10 bars.
The 9-10 bars that aren't there? They're orange.
Just thought you should know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts