Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Garmin i3. Anyone own this and how do you like it? Any thoughts on other models?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Since I use a PDA, I have been very happy with the Garmin iQue 3600. I bought the one which comes with the auto adapter from Amazon.com. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001D ... c&v=glance

It has worked great for me, both as a PDA and as a GPS. The only time it gave me bum directions was when I put in a wrong zip code. The only downside is the battery time when using the GPS, which is not a problem when using the auto kit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am another happy Garmin owner. I hesitate to be to enthusiastic in my endorsement because I have never used another brand. I now use a GPS 10 with my bluetooth PDA. The advantage of this setup is that it routes to the addresses in my address book. The iQue 3600 does the same if you use it as your PDA. The iQue comes with a dash mount and other accessories for automotive use.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a Garmin StreetPilot c330 and it's really good most of the time...and a lifesaver when you're doing things like garage sale hunting. The only complaint I have about it so far (and this is true for ALL GPS systems, not just this one), is that sometimes when you are driving down service roads very close to highways, the system cannot tell them apart because they are too close together. GPS systems can only calculate accuracy to within 10 meters or so...so unless you turn down a random road perpendicular to the route you're driving on, it won't recalculate for you.

Next year, with luck, I'm planning on giving my current system to my mom and upgrading to the StreetPilot 2720 or 2730, which has the ability to save routes, a remote control so that a passenger can program a route for the driver, and street names in the voice programming as well as simple directions and distances.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I would go for the Garmin i5. The maps are preloaded, meaning that you don't have to do anything but take it out of the box and put it in your car. The i3 requires that you load in detail maps of places or regions you will be going. This may be a pain, and if your computer isn't fully up to snuff, you will find loading maps annoying or impossible. And forget trying to load maps with your computer if you have a Mac. That is my biggest complaint about GPS map units is that they are not multi-platform compatible.

I have used the i5 and it works great. Very small and quite accurate. It recalculates a route pretty quickly. And the best part is that you can move it from car to car whenever you need to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used both a HP 4150 iPAQ and the Dell Axim X50v with several different flavors of mapping software. At this moment I am hovering between iGuidance 2.1.3 and the Mapopolis. I have been disappointed with Copilot Live 5 (poor maps), Pocketmap Navigator and Tom Tom. I suggest that you work with a reputable retail outlet that will allow returns if the system you choose does not meet your requirements. Go to this site for more info. . .

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.php

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/

http://www.mapopolis.com/

or do a Google search for "pocket gps" and try your luck. Mapopolis is the only one I know that has a complete demo that you can use for 7-14 days. I really like that and recommend them. Here are my criteria that I judge them by. . .

1) Maps (What good is the best routing software witout updated Maps?)
2) Routing ability (fast reroutes and the ability to easily detour)
3) Voice (clarity and volume, got to hear directions in heavy traffic)
4) POI database (Points of Interest, businesses, attractions, etc.)
5) Screen info (MPH, ETA, next turn, distance etc.)
6) Cost PDA $200-500 software $79-199 much less than some of those other portable like Garmin or Magellan

I'm sure there are more. But the reason I choose the PDA style is . ..

1) PDA does more than routing, such as e-mail, PIM, games, e-books, Music, Video and internet browsing.
2) Portable, it's great in the Cities cause you can get subway maps and directions, Hiking, check out the Taxi driver routing, Biking, Geo-caching.
3) The Chicks dig it! :wink:

God Bless

Wildkow

·
Registered
84 Posts
Best portable GPS...

First of all, there isn't one. They all offer features that are great and not so great. I'm on my third one now and for my money and interests, it's the only way to go.

I have a Garmin Quest 2 that comes preloaded with the entire US and I believe Canada (although I not totally sure about that.) While the unit is on the small side, it's very readable even in sunlight (256 colors). It does all the tricks including audio prompts when approaching turns.

The unit serves all purposes as well. Hiking, bicycling, etc. Fits in your shirt pocket. When in my car, I have it mounted either just under the rear view mirror or just to the left of it. Because of it's size, it doesn't block much of the windshield. Also, very stable holder (doesn't vibrate like my previous iWay 500 C.)

The biggest problem with portable GPS units in cars is what to do with them when parked. If you leave them setup on your windshield, sooner or later (and probably sooner), you're going to come back to your car and find one of your windows busted and the unit navigating someone else's car. You can slip the Garmin Quest in your pocket and if you later need to, you can use it to find where you parked your car. So far, I've used my Quest in my car of course, but also walking, bicycling and I'm looking forward to trying it on the cross country ski trails this winter. Some of the bigger units on this thread are probably a little better in your car, but they won't cut the mustard on the activities listed above. There are SO many uses for this little guy.

Cost is less than $550 on several site listed on nextag.com. An in-dash GPS is best for viewing and security of unit, but is it really worth $2000 extra?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a smartphone (Treo 650) and Tomtom Navigator 5 which seems to work well in comparison to CarMyne's Nav package. The GPS unit is small and can easily be carried in my pocket when I'm not in the car. Tomtom uses a 3D map display that is easy to see and calculates routes quickly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Best portable GPS...

ElectronMotion said:
The biggest problem with portable GPS units in cars is what to do with them when parked. If you leave them setup on your windshield, sooner or later (and probably sooner), you're going to come back to your car and find one of your windows busted and the unit navigating someone else's car.
Yeah, this was my biggest concern when I bought the c330, plus the fact that mounting anything on a windshield is illegal in California. But the c330 dash mount works very well. When I first set it up, it didn't stick to the dash until I held it in place for a few minutes, but now it works great and holds on very well. The main unit is convenient to detach and hide in the center console when you park the car, or take with you in a bag if you're really concerned. The other units mentioned on this thread all work great if you want a combination unit that can do things other than navigate a vehicle, but I'd still recommend the c330 for the least technically-minded, because it's the easiest one to figure out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used about 8 or 9 different GPS's over the past 10 years, some that I owned, some that were installed in various aircraft that I fly, and I've always found Garmin's to be my favorite.

Their 12 channel receivers lock onto weak signals and are very reliable. I've always felt more comfortable with Garmin's user interface than with the others. I haven't used the particular model you asked about though.

Have you looked at Garmin's product selection wizard? It asks a few questions and then tells which Garmin model fits your needs best. http://www.garmin.com/purchaseAssistant/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using a Magellan Roadmate 700 for about 2 years. It has detailed maps of all states and cities and I love it. It gives excellent directions and voice commands and is very accurate. Updated maps were provided for $100 after I had it for about a year. There are some new models since I bought mine. The maps take about 3GB of a 10GB hard drive that it comes with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the i3 and love it. Installed it under the radio on the plastic wall thing with an externally wired antenna (great reception). I don't know how I lived without this thing. 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
grovey said:
I'm thinking about getting a Garmin i3. Anyone own this and how do you like it? Any thoughts on other models?
I am very fond of the Garmin Quest. It's inexpensive, fast and accurate.

The friction mount (you can't legally use the windshield mount in California), fits very nicely to the left of the MFD, and doesn't block the speed/dash.

It snaps out of the bracket easily and can be taken with you or placed in either of the glove compartments or consoles.

Be aware, it does not have a built-in speaker - the speaker is attached to the power adapter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like NewEgg's prices on Garmin GPSes are easily a match for the best price you might find on Ebay. The i3 I bought for $307 is $300 at NewEgg after an instant $30 off.

My sister has a friend who always gets lost and wanted me to recommend a GPS for her. Her friend is totally computer illiterate, so I recommended a Garmin c330. It comes preloaded with all the maps, so there is no need to use a computer to load the detailed maps, and it has a touchscreen, which I figured would be easier for her friend to spell with than the thumbwheel on the i-series.

I also found a bunch of phony c330 auctions on Ebay originating in China. The seller had created twelve phony accounts within the last day, and then used them to create 12 phony positive feedbacks for each of the other accounts. It was clearly a scam and I reported it to Ebay. Looks like all of the fraudulent auctions were removed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts