Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the forum so excuse me if this has already been discussed. I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer.

Anyway, I've got a 2002 Prius with about 38K miles. Over the past 3 months I have noticed an intermittent popping sound coming from the left rear interior of the car. It sounds like it's coming from behind an interior panel or under the seat. It used to occur maybe only once every other day but has slowly increased to multiple times during each daily one hour commute.

It occurs at random times while the car is running and is not associated with acceleration, deceleration, braking etc. It has even occured with the car stopped and gas motor off (ie stopped in traffic). It rarely occurs right after starting the car and once it starts it doesn't seem to increase in rate as I drive the car for a longer time period.

I recently had the software update done for the recall and it didn't increase or decrease the rate of popping.

The car otherwise runs fine and the gas mileage hasn't been affected.

Does anybody have any idea what this might be?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
popping noise

I don't think so. It seems to occur whether or not the audio system is on.

I thought that this might be a common problem, but apparently it's not. I guess I'll have to take it to the Toyota dealer for diagnostics.

Mike

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
mayodoc said:
I recently had the software update done for the recall and it didn't increase or decrease the rate of popping.
Software recall? Software can't be upgraded on the classic without replacing the whole ECU.

Has the battery recall been done to the car?

It could be the audio system, but since the sound was localized to the rear driver side, so I didn't think that was it. Even with the radio off, I believe the amplifier is still on in order to produce the MFD beeps. The radio amp definitely produces the beeps in the 2G Prius.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
POPPING NOISE

I may have misspoken about the "software recall" I got a notice from Toyotat telling me about a recall to correct an occasional engine stalling problem and I had the dealer perform the service. They indicated that it was a software download. It may have been an ECU replacement as well.

I didn't receive any recall for a battery problem. What are the specifics?

Mike

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There was connection problems between the individual modules. Have your dealer check your vehicle VIN against Techinfo and show you the results.

Again, the classic had unflashable ECUs, so software changes required the whole ECU to be replaced. The newer models had flashable ECUs so they could be updated without being replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: POPPING NOISE

mayodoc said:
I may have misspoken about the "software recall" I got a notice from Toyotat telling me about a recall to correct an occasional engine stalling problem and I had the dealer perform the service. They indicated that it was a software download. It may have been an ECU replacement as well.

I didn't receive any recall for a battery problem. What are the specifics?

Mike
There was no recall letter for the Classic Prius for any stalling problem. Sounds like your dealer is confused as to what model year you have, as that would've been SSC 50P for 2004-2005 Prius. How they were able to perform this on your 2002 I do not know.

SSC 40G for the hybrid battery resealing was sent to nearly all 2001-2002 Prius, some 2003, (and also the hybrid Estima owners).

2001-2003 Prius can only have upgraded software by physically replacing an ECU. The newer 2004-current Prius can have their ECUs reflashed with newer downloaded programming.

The only other SSCs for the US Classic Prius were for the EMPS ECU, but that was for some early 2001s. The only recall for the US Classic Prius was for some early 2001s for the power steering rack.

As for your popping noise, I assume that you are not using your cassette deck? that's the most obvious source of popping (such as static discharge on the tape heads). Have you had someone sit in your rear seat and try to isolate the location of the sound?

You don't say where you are located. Perhaps you could meet up with a local Classic owner and compare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Popping noise

I see what the problem is.

I miswrote the year of my Prius. It is not a classic prius. It is the first year of the second generation.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it is a 2004-2006, do you happen to have the luggage cover in place? I found that when I had mine sitting in place, it would create a popping sound at times. It seemed to happen most often when the car went from a cooler place (under my carport) into a warmer place (driving in the sun on an 90 degree day). I think it was the plastic/metal rubbing. It went away when I began storing the cover under the rear cargo floor boards.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts