Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just occurred to me to maybe start a little poll or page that rates dealership sales pressure and honesty. Feel free to add to this.

These are real reviews of Baltimore/DC area dealerships:

Lustine Toyota - Nova
Name of salesperson - ??
Sales Pressure -------- (-8 out of -10) Lower is better
Knowledgeability of salesperson ++ (+2 out of +10)
Honesty of salesperson + (want to "call me back" with the quote, which was just a ploy to get my phone number)

355 Toyota - Rockville, MD
Name of salesperson - John ?
Sales Pressure ------- (-7 out of -10)
Knowledgeability of salesperson ++ (+2 out of +10) (came across as kind of slow, and didn't speak English well)

Jim Coleman - Bethesda, MD
Name of salesperson - Leo (excellent!)
Sales Pressure -- (-2 out of -10) (post purchase "paint options" was useless, that was not Leo though)
Honesty +++++++++ got me $100 over invoice, granted this was 2002
Knowledgeability of salesperson +++++++
comments: the service overall at Jim Coleman was top notch. They are really service oriented.

Toyota of Waldorf - Waldorf, MD
Name of Salesperson - Marc
Sales Pressure ------ (via email, asked if I wanted to put a deposit, before I had even gotten to the dealership, sheesh!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmmm, I bought my Prius at Lustine and have a completely different opinion. My saleman wasn't at all pushy or agressive. He was VERY knowledgeable about the Prius. I got it for a few hundred under invoice, and so far their service department has been impressive. :D

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, HOV Commuter,

I doubt you got your Prius "for a few hundred under invoice" "Invoice" is what your dealer has to pay Toyota for the car, so I doubt they would sell it for less & lose money. You can't stay in business for long sell'g that way. You probably meant : for a few hundred under "MSRP" [Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (the "window sticker")]. Correct?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just starting my research

I'm very interested to hear more stories about dealers in the DC/Balt area. So far, the dealers I've contacted online (Ourisman Chantilly and Miller Toyota Manassas) are offering to sell at $500 below MSRP. Ourisman adds a $279 processing fee. I'm not sure what Miller's fee is.

Can I do better than this?

I'm trying to get a Package 3, but I may go up to a Package 6.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When we bought our 2004 Prius Lustine had an extra $600 and something on the sticker that could not be explained by the salesman and then the sales manager got very rude. Something about Prius being hard to come by and they add this on because they could. (not verbatim). He was a real P----! :evil: Service Dept is very good. Needless to say we bought elsewhere. Rosner Toyota of Fredericksburg. Happy with the experience. Was were on a waiting list and the car came 2 weeks sooner than expected and the Salesman even conspired with my husband to suprise me. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
jeff_h said:
03Jill said:
When we bought our 2004 Prius Lustine had an extra $600 and something on the sticker that could not be explained by the salesman and then the sales manager got very rude.
Which is why I couldn't believe it when Lustine replied to my online query with a cost that was $995 less than advertised online, I thought it was too good to be true, so I drove to the dealership to view the sticker, and there was the $995 markup sticker and the price they quoted me was straight MSRP... so I went to Chantilly and got $500 under MSRP.

So now every once in a while I'll go online and check inventories in Alexandria/Arlington, Woodbridge, Chantilly/Fairfax, Manassas, Stafford/Fredericksburg, etc. Whereas a month or two ago there were 10 or more models sitting on just about every lot I looked at, now there's just a handful at most and just about every dealer I checked had less than 5 on hand (no idea if those are pre-orders promised to others). So as the gas prices have risen, likewise has the demand for the Prius... but I still don't think one needs to pay over MSRP, I think they can be bought for MSRP but I don't know as for under MSRP anymore as my normal check of Ourisman which used to advertise the "warehouse price" of $500 under MSRP now simply says "call".
Last Friday night, I went to test drive a Prius at Miller Toyota in Manassas. This was the result of an online query. The salesman was "Toyota Sam" Lee. He was the most knowledgeable car salesman I have ever met. He spent a half-hour in the car going over everything before I even started driving. He had a great test drive route worked out where I could test the car in both low and high speed conditions.

The result? I put down $200 to reserve "my" Prius. I'm getting a Seaside Pearl #6. It should arrive by mid-May. Price is $500 below MSRP plus $198 "processing" fee. He even acknowledged that the processing fee is strictly extra profit. He didn't try to BS his way around it. He also had a chart showing that this is the lowest processing fee in the area. Based on my calls around, I know this to be true.

He also said he wasn't sure how much longer he could offer the $500 below MSRP, as demand was picking up again.

Counting down the days. . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
jeff_h said:
NoVaSnow said:
The result? I put down $200 to reserve "my" Prius. I'm getting a Seaside Pearl #6. It should arrive by mid-May. Price is $500 below MSRP plus $198 "processing" fee.
Let us know how it goes.... and be sure to have your mind made up (whether you want them or not) about the extended warranty and the additional services (undercoating, paint sealant, etc) in case they give you the hard sell on those!

Jeff (Stafford County)
Thanks, Jeff.

My answers to extended warranty and "protection" services are the same I have been using for over 25 years. NO and NO. What part of NO do you not understand?

Even better, I'm bringing my own financing arranged through Costco. So they can't try to pull financing tricks on me either. I"m putting down about 25% and financing for 3 years at 5.24%. A very sweet deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
jeff_h said:
NoVaSnow said:
Even better, I'm bringing my own financing arranged through Costco. So they can't try to pull financing tricks on me either. I"m putting down about 25% and financing for 3 years at 5.24%. A very sweet deal.
Oh yeah that was another thing the pain in the butt finance guy threw on me (during my after-action feedback of my buying experience on the Toyota website I rated the salesman as great and the finance guy as POOR)... the sign on the wall said 8% APR, and I'd already had my financing worked out. So the guy wants to run my credit (sure go ahead, give me your best offer) he says WOW your credit score is 829 we can offer you 5¼% (I think it was), I said "well the sign on your wall says your rate is 8%" and he says "that's for most buyers" so I said "well you should advertise your true rates" and again no thanks on the financing.
The interesting thing about Miller is that they actually had a chart on display in the showroom with rates based on FICO scores. The lowest rate posted was 6.99%. I emailed my salesman with my rate and asked if they could beat it. He said of course I could talk to their finance guy when I pick up the car, but I had gotten a great rate. I think I'll skip that conversation and stick with what I got on my own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.