Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I posted "whats up with waving?" Several people said that waving is common among Prius owners. Since then I have waved at every Prius I have seen. No one has ever waved back. Can anyone ease my pain? Should I give up waving? I'm a proud owner and I would be estatic if I got a wave, a smile, a thumbs up... I live in Bolingbrook Illinois so if you see me wave at you please wave back. :lol: :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know what you mean. I've had my Prius for a year and a half, and have been waving like a lunatic to every other Prius I've seen driving around Vegas. I never got a return wave until recently. (I felt like Larry David in that episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm") Now that there are so many more on the roads (2004s and 2005s) I have had 3 waves all in the last 3 weeks!! One was even initiated by the other driver! Before that, I would only get waves when I was in some other state - Arizona or California.

Suzie

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with how observant people are.

I was in the middle of nowhere on an agricultural 2-lane highway and in the distance was this blue vehicle wth huge headlight housings. It had to be Prius, and as they approached we waved. Now, considering that we were in the middle of nowhere I figured that it was a rare event to see a Prius out where I was driving. So, we waved.

Most folks are in their own little world when they are out driving. I doesn't surprise me if they don't wave. I just hope that while they are in their own little world they are still paying attention to the road.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Today I nearly jumped for joy. (Hard when you're belted in). An identical twin Prius, same blue color, was directly in front of me at a red light. I honked, wondering if I'd get a wave or a weird look from the young driver. He waved. It only took me 6 weeks. Around here (south of Bolingbrook), there just aren't that many Priuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazing but True

Imagine the crowded freeways of Southern California. Imagine the crowds of cars, smog, emotions. Now picture (4 seperate occurances) Prius owners actually waving and even rolling down their windows and saying "we are loving it" - "I got 3 solid 99.9 mpg bars going".

It really has happened to me.

Hope you have a bouquet of Prius waves before the month ends...

If I ever get to Il, I'll be sure to wave to every Prius!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I actually got a head not from someone driving a Honda ... and not a Hybrid Honda! I was so shocked, I must have looked like a dear in headlights. Other than that, I have not recieved a wave from anyone (nor have I given one).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waves

Thanks for all the support because it is hard to continue waving when no one has ever even looked up. Minutes after I posted this subject I was heading home from work in Hoffman Estates. Approaching me was a silver pruis and I thought "this must be a sign, he's gonna wave back!" I was wrong. He looked at me weird and I felt sad. Reading your responses has given me hope and I will keep waving. I hope I get a bouquet of Prius waves too, that was sweet. I hope when I finally get my wave I'll be able to keep it on the road. :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never pay attention to the people inside the cars, I suppose. I wouldn't know if someone was waving at me. All those poor, irrational, road-raging drivers who flip me off for going the speed limit never got the satisfaction of my expression changing either :( I feel bad for them!

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's a rare occasion I get a return wave here in Durham NC. Last time I stopped at the gas station (not for gas, for cheap milk, which is the reason for most of my trips there) I was turning back on to the main road (Erwin Road near Duke) and noticed 2 people in their 2G Silver looking at me, smiling, so I waved and got 2 enthusiastic waves back. Woohoo!

That made the pilot of the black Stealth Prius in her dark sunglasses smile as she silently rolled down the road...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to restrain myself from waving to Prius owners when I'm driving my Subaru... I find myself wanting to role down the window and say "my other car is a Prius." I need to get a bumpersticker or something...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Heck I even waved at a Subaru with the license plate GREEN2. He waved back. Sweet :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
road rage?

I respect that people are afraid of road rage from other drivers. However its hard for me to imagine waving to a Prius owner and then have them shoot me down in the roadway. All the Prius drivers on priusonline seem very cool. I don't think someone who would be driving around in a hybrid would be a ticking time bomb of roadrage. Maybe I'm too trusting but I love my car and I love that so many other people thinks it cool. I used to get so up tight driving my corolla thru rush hour traffic but driving a Prius has given me something to look forward to, driving!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Logically, I know that. But I drive 90 miles round trip a day to work and I'm getting pretty paranoid about these shootings. What if someone sees me waving to a fellow Prius driver and thinks I'm gesturing to them? I hate the fact that I'm even thinking about this.

Roberta

·
Registered
8 Posts
ProfBerta said:
Logically, I know that. But I drive 90 miles round trip a day to work and I'm getting pretty paranoid about these shootings. What if someone sees me waving to a fellow Prius driver and thinks I'm gesturing to them? I hate the fact that I'm even thinking about this.

Roberta
C'mon... You guys are getting too paranoid! :shock:
Wave! Wave is healthy! Wave is fun! When I see a Prius I even honk (not too many around here, so I make a hell of a party when I see one). :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Of course if they see 2 Prius drivers waving, I think they'll get the hint and maybe they might just hate us that much more because they think its a cult thing, who knows. Of course if they see 2 Prius drivers waving maybe they'll get the hint, there's something special about this car. I just hope it makes them think, period.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hi

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts