Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son very kindly poured a whole bottle of mineral water into the door panel cavity in one of the rear doors! (The one like a cup with a screw in the bottom that you put your hand in to pull the door closed!)

Does anyone know if there is anything useful under it, or will it just work its way down and out a drain hole at the bottom of the door frame with the rain??

I just wanna know if it'll be OK or

Thanks

S

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Speakers are in the rear doors, and of course electro-mechanical pieces like door locks and power windows. I would consider removing the panel to let it dry out. Water won't damage much if it dries fast and you don't power up anything while wet.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I don't think you will have any issues. It is just water. It is highly likley that it will find its way out of a drain at the bottom of the door frame. Let's also look at where your electrics are in a rear door. You have 1 or 2 speakers in that door. If you have the JBL system the tweeter is at the top of the door, so that isn't going to be affected. The midrange/woofer is at the bottom. It might be touched by the water depending on the interior contours of the door panel. Water tends to stick to lines and grooves as it fall downward. There is a good chance that rigidity lines in the door panel will prevent the lower speaker from getting wet.

The door lock servo is above the point where the water entered, so I'm fairly certain that is not going to be an issue. The door window switch is slightly below the top of the entry point of the water, but I also doubt that water would hurt it if it did get wet.

That leaves the electrics for the window. I'm going to be on the positive side, but I figure that it should have a certain tollerance for water considering that it is located at a more vulnerable point, near the window actuator, and would be the most exposed to water coming inside the door through the outside seal.

I remain optimistic that there is no long term damage, and I do not really think that taking off the door panel is necessary, especially considering the difficult in taking it off and getting it back on again in a proper manner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts