Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 Prius today. The sales manager told me about the platinum warranty and said he'd sell it to me at a discounted price of $1400. I told him I wanted to think about it. I'd like to see what my online Prius buddies have to say.

Do you need anything more than the basic warranty with the Prius? I'd hope that not many things would be breaking down. I do understand that all the high-tech computers could result in expensive repairs if something does go wrong.

Thanks! I've gotten great information from this board.

J.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You can go back and pick up a lot of opinions. It would be very interesting for someone to start a survey on how many readers here have purchased same. First off, you will find that you can get the best platinum warranty offered from several Toyota dealers for something less than $1,000.
Second, some believe that a Prius out of the three year and 36,000 mile standard warranty would be difficult to sell. (They are transferable.)
Others sleep a lot better nights having the warranty that covers just about everything for the extended period that a lot of buyers plan keeping their cars.
And lastly, I wouldn't buy a Prius without one and in sixty years of car ownership, this is the first warranty I have ever purchased. Mine cost me $875.00.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
As a mod I could always edit the thread and add a survey. Who says yes so that our OP can see a bit more graphical responses? Great suggestion Hyperion.

I did purchase the extended, but I didn't do so blindly and knew that any kind of extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy. I also acknowledge that in the world of insurance, the insurer is usually the "winner" and the insured is usually the "looser". Sure the insurer has to pay out every now and then, and the individuals that make claims are covered and things turn out ok for them, (yes, oversimplification) but on the other side of that, most of the insured will never make a claim or make few claims and as such never receive the full value of the insurance. Homeowners insurance is very much that way as most of us will never make a major claim in the entire time we pay for homeowners.

However better deals on the Platinum warranty are to be had elsewhere. Please go to another Prius board: priuschat.com. If you search the site you should find a link to a dealer on the east coast which is selling the Toyota Platinum warranty at a very hefty discount. You have the length of your factory warranty to buy into a Toyota extended warranty, but there is no real harm in purchasing now if you make that choice.

So far I have not had a single warranty issue with my Prius. I have had 2 recalls... oh excuse me, Special Service Campaigns, done on the car with no problems. From where I stand it is a very solid vehicle. But it is a mechanical device and something could occure in the future, but the car is very trustworthy.

Use your best judgement with the warranty issue and I'm sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discounted price? HA! Even Orb in the Sky charged me less than that, and they had me pay over MSRP! Granted, it wasn't genuine Toyota.

Go to PriusChat, check out sponsor forum, and find the extended warranty there.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I might have added that I have read here that the extended list for Toyota dealers is $1600 MSRP. So anything under that could be termed "discount."
I also have read of west coast dealers charging in the vicinity 0f $2,000.
I have also read that the Warranty costs a dealer $650.00 so anything above that is profit if the warranty is never used.
I don't know why more dealers don't discount the cost as it is an insurance policy that Toyota pays off on unless they are splitting the cost of of any service with the dealers, rather than paying the dealer "book" cost."

·
Registered
591 Posts
Also, keep in mind when figuring the cost it is an extension of the 3 year warranty you have now. The coverage may be slightly different. So even if you purchased the "Platinum 7 year xxxxx mile" warranty, you are actually purchasing a 4 year warranty extension. Oh, and I defy anyone to figure out a definitive list of what is actually covered! Be prepared to argue with the dealer if you have a problem!

For those reasons, I always pass on the warranty extensions. So far my gamble has paid off big time!

As noted above, you have until the current 3 year warranty expires to purchase the extension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.