Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to tint my windows in my 2005 Black BC, but I'd like to see some pictures of one that is already tinted. If anyone is driving around in a tinted black, please post a picture or two! Thanks.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You best check with your local, state laws on tinting, and in any other juristictions you might be traveling in. We've heard stories where motorists driving in juristictions with stricter tinting would be cited or worse prohibited from driving until the tinting was brought to law compliance, even though the driver and registered car owner did not reside in that state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need to second DanMan's reply. I was stopped by Calif Hiway Patrol and issued a "fixit"...given 14 days to remove dark tint from driver and passenger windows. Second row passenger windows were okay but not driver and first row passenger window.

·
Registered
991 Posts
rocky said:
Need to second DanMan's reply. I was stopped by Calif Hiway Patrol and issued a "fixit"...given 14 days to remove dark tint from driver and passenger windows. Second row passenger windows were okay but not driver and first row passenger window.
Yes.. in California they give fix it tickets. You can darken the back passengers as much as you like.. a certain amount of inches on the top of the front windshield.. and the front passenger and driver windows can only be a certain amount of tint..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Phish Phood said:
rocky said:
Yes.. in California they give fix it tickets. You can darken the back passengers as much as you like.. a certain amount of inches on the top of the front windshield.. and the front passenger and driver windows can only be a certain amount of tint..
Actually, I believe the front driver/passenger windows cannot be tinted at all in CA.

What I don't understand is why tint shops are willing to (or allowed to) tint these windows in clear violation of the law.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I find it so silly that states would enforce tinting laws for out of state vehicles. It should be that if you could prove that you are compliant with your own state's tint, and are only going to be in the state you are violating for a certain period of time, they should dismiss the ticket. It isn't like you can easily remedy the situation right then and there, like you can for a firearm or radar detector. You can put those in the trunk, or hand them to the officer if it's a real problem for them.

Law enforcement and judiciaries have to learn to be reasonable.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oregon's law is ZERO aftermarket tinting, and only certain amounts of factory tinting. (None on windshield except top border, none on driver's side window, something pitiful like 5% on front passenger's window, and 15-20% on rear windows.)

Yet, oddly, there are plenty of aftermarket tint shops around... (And, of course, this has to be one of the least-enforced laws out there.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I find it so silly that states would enforce tinting laws for out of state vehicles. It should be that if you could prove that you are compliant with your own state's tint, and are only going to be in the state you are violating for a certain period of time, they should dismiss the ticket. It isn't like you can easily remedy the situation right then and there, like you can for a firearm or radar detector. You can put those in the trunk, or hand them to the officer if it's a real problem for them.

Law enforcement and judiciaries have to learn to be reasonable.
HERE...HERE....! I agree Mr. DanMan!!!! I think that in Ga. they even take your drivers license for a speeding ticket until it is paid!!! :shock: Anyone know of this?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
This isn't my car but here ya go.
DanMan and others have seen my car and I feel that with a Prius with the Tideland pearl paint with "Limo Tint" which is the darkest you can get meets my requirements for I have my reasons, I do not suggest you guys go out and black out your windows.. I have it on all four windows and the rear....I have had no problems to date. Not saying that I recommend installing this type of "dark" tint...I have my own personal reasons for doing so.

Keep in mind that if you get pulled over for anything...roll your driver and passenger windows down before the "man" walks up.

I have medical reasons for doing so.....do the mods at your own risk.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Put yourself in the place of the law officer approaching a car. I wouldn't want to come up to a car where I could not see what was happening in the vehicle. I understand these laws completely.

·
Registered
736 Posts
window tinting

Having a son in law enforcement, I agree with Hep. However, one change I would make on the Prius would be to have an extendable visor like a lot of cars have. One of my problems is driving with the sun shining in the driver's side window in the area beyond what the visor covers when swung out to the left. I have had numerous skin cancers removed from my face, neck and ears, so I have to be careful in the sun. I put one of those suction cup screens in the window, which I think is technically illegal, but since it is temporary I don't worry too much about it. California doesn't allow any added tinting on the driver and front passenger windows. You can put a transparent strip at the top of the windshield, but it cannot have any lettering, logos, etc.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: window tinting

Roger V said:
I have had numerous skin cancers removed from my face, neck and ears, so I have to be careful in the sun. .
Even a clear window will screen the great majority of the UV light, which is the main culprit with skin cancer. As long as your window is closed, you are fine. That's why you can't tan through a window. 8)

·
Registered
736 Posts
window tinting

Hep, I almost added a line about the UV screening effect of window glass, but didn't want to post too long a message. My dermatologist told me that several years ago. However, the vechicle code here in Calif. allows for temporary screens like I use if recommended by a doctor, and you have a letter stating such in the car. (I looked it up after earlier post.) The sun still feels hot through the glass and beyond the area covered by the visor. I kind of wonder why Toyota doesn't use the extendable type, since in most areas this car has luxury features. When I get my '06, I may look into switching for an Avalon or Camry visor if one would fit and match the interior. Just a thought.

·
Registered
736 Posts
window tinting

Dan,
I don't think the sidecurtain airbags have anything to do with it, as my Lexus has them and the visor is extendable. The force of the airbag deploying would push the visor out of the way, regardless of the length, I believe. It may be it was just something that was overlooked in the design department, or maybe a small cost saving measure since this car was burdened with high development costs in the first place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tinted Windows

Well I took the risk and did a two tone tint job on my Prius, with the dark tint in the rear passenger windows and a light tint in the front passenger and rear window. The tint has not significantly affected the rear view mirror tint adjustment, but I am sure would have if I went any darker. I have driven buy a number CHP and even through a checkpoint and have survived the scrutiny, but there may come the day I will have to have it removed, but until then I enjoy the cooler car and the looks. Here is what the red w/tint looks like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.