Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new Prius next week and need to decide if I want undercoating, paint protection, cloth scotchguarded and another option I don't remember. You Prius owners, did you get these extras and are they worth the money?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tootie18 said:
I am picking up a new Prius next week and need to decide if I want undercoating, paint protection, cloth scotchguarded and another option I don't remember. You Prius owners, did you get these extras and are they worth the money?
I just got mine a week ago Monday. The only extra I got was the extended warranty because I intend to keep this car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would not get any of those options. They have large markup and are tremendous profit for the dealer, but don't offer much for the car owner. If the car needed these things, Toyota would put them on during manufacture of the car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tootie18 said:
total and utter ripoff

Spike

·
Registered
2 Posts
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION...

I've had an 05 Prius loaner for 3 months and my 06 is due in next week; from experience, here are the add-ons I'm getting:

1. Floor mats - a must.
2. Goodyear ComfortTread tires - The Intergity's are crap in my opinion and I have a local tire dealer that will swap them out for me.
3. Rear Bumper Protector - even though I was careful, I still picked up a few scratches on the rear bumper taking things in and out of the trunk.
4. Mud Flaps - They offer dirt and rock protection, they're cheap and they look good to me.
5. The Toyota XM Radio (in April) if it really offers 32 lines of display like the manual says - I'm missing my XM radio from my trade-in.
6. Thinking about window tint - I remember how hot the Prius loaner got when I first picked it up in September - tint may be an option when Summer returns in April.

Skip the $600 "Protection Package" even my salesperson says it's a rip-off and put the $$ towards leather, or spray on Scotchguard yourself.

Good luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If you can get your dealer to give you some of their literature for the Prius you will find an article about the fabric chosen just for the Prius. Need's no scotchguard treat ment and lists a website for cleaning instructions.
You are buying a car that very few Toyota service reps know anything about and a car that cannot be worked on at any but a Toyota dealership. For that reason I would not even think of purchasing one without the extended warranty, my number one option at the day of purchase. Sure Toyota gives you the three year 35,000 mile warranty but just having the extended so that you don't have to think of dates of purchase, whether it's covered, or milage for a good number of years and know from scratch that you have a loaner car at all times, will let you sleep well for a good long time.
This was the first warranty I have ever purchased in 60 years of car ownership but I certainly would not be without it.
You will also find that a lot of Prius purchasers are still running on their original tires chosen by Toyota with well over thirty thousand miles and are still content with them.
Again, if it comes down to nav-pak or warranty I'de sure go with the ext warranty. (By the way, the best Platinum warranty that Toyota sells can be had for less than $1,000.00. You will know if you have a good dealer by the price he quotes you on this option. Some have been as high as $1600. My dealer offered me mine at $875.00.))

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hello Hyperion, Happy New Year for you .

I totally agree with your statement, I'm a Toyota dealer and should know all the ins and out of a Toyota vehicles. I'm doing this for the last 26 years and with Toyota brand. I do have various Toyotas of my own Not (the Dealer Demonstrator-Company Vehicles ) Now I have added a "Prius" my very own to my vehicles stable ! and will have the Toyota extended platinum warranty on this "Baby" also. Some people feels that extended warranty is waste of money but I do not feel the same way.
I protect my "investment" for the duration of my ownership on these vehicles.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Tootie18 said:
  1. Paint protection is a waste of money. If you like waxing your car yourself then do so when the weater gets better. Waxing a car once or twice a year is good protection in an of itself. Most of the time dealer paint protections are nothing more than a commercial grade of wax whill be gone in about the same time that your coat of wax is gone in. I have the car detailed twice a year and it gets a very nice wax job at that time and then I hand wash it myself through the rest of the spring and summer. During fall and winter I have found a very nice drive through, touchless carwash that does a competent job.[/*:m:1ir0kq6u]
  2. You can Scotchguard seats yourself. The product they sell now isn't nearly as good as the old Scotchguard, but it will work. However, our combined experience with Prius interiors and interior materials has been positive.[/*:m:1ir0kq6u]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts