Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a hybrid Highlander a couple of days ago and have been driving it locally and geting to know it better. I own a 2001 Prius and a 2004 Prius and was very interested in the Highlander as a replacement for an older van. So far I am enjoying the ride and happy with the purchase. The hybrid system combined with a V6 demonstrates tremendous power and pickup. A sunroof was another plus along with obviously more room and versatility. The power seats, leather, heavier weight, 17 inch tires and other touches make for a much improved ride. This is a Prius forum so I won't go into a lot of detail, but as hybrid enthusiasts, if you are interested in the Toyota or Lexus SUV's, the hybrid option looks very attractive and seems to perform very well.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be careful with that power seat : )
I will put in an XM today or tomorrow depending on my fathers day duties and desire to violate the so far, untouched dash.
My Highlander didn't come with any great breaks on the price but I didn't really haggle a lot. I just kind of walked in and picked up one that just arrived off the truck. It was there and so was I : )

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have been producing and shipping the universal video interface for most major automobiles screens for months and have multiple distributers. It can be seen in various forms on several websites.

I started this thread as just a simple heads-up for hybrid enthusiasts who may be interested in the new hybrid SUV option that Toyota is now making available. I have been doing mostly low speed stop and go city driving for the last 150 miles and am sitting at around 27 mpg. I haven't performed any sustained high speed driving to judge interstate performance. I am still getting a charge out of stepping deep into the peddle and getting set back in my seat with really terrific performance. It reminds me of the old high school days of my souped up Mustang only it gets better than 8 miles per gallon and has air and leather and ..... : ) The air conditioner is slightly overpowered and creates a hurricane when it is on high, but in Florida it comes in handy and cools the vehicle down very quickly. The Highlander is very quiet and stable and easily capable of pulling heavy loads and climbing hills. It has the normal amount of big V6 noise on hard acceleration and silent operation when going slow. The Hybrid Highlander is expensive at around 41,000 and so are many of the loaded SUV's out there. I have the fold down third row seating (very small) and the fold down split second row seats (very comfortable). I opted for the lighted running boards and fender flares which I think accent it nicely. For a powerful, comfortable, SUV so far, it fills that need. I can put up a picture if you would like.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Highlander definitely puts into perspective the value that the Prius offers when it comes to price. I have always thought that the loaded Prius is a good deal and the current demand continues to keep the resale at a premium. This is a picture of the hybrid Highlander right before I went mudding with it at the local swamp (just kidding, although my son did drop a spoon of ice cream on the seat ... very traumatic).

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No, I made a simple post expressing my excitement and satisfaction with the new Hybrid I purchased. I did not hop onto a chat group and start asking for sales. Kelley had 67 separate conversations on the 800 number Monday. I apologize that you were not among them, however, it is inappropriate to "hijack" a conversation among friends to satisify your immediate desire. Many are interested in the new Highlander and are not reading to hear about something to buy or an 800 number. There is a Private Message button which should be used for this circumstance and I will be happy to respond in that manner : )

The Highlander sunroof, although to a lesser extent, has an issue with wind harmonics similar to the Prius. I'm sure Prius owners have noticed that when you roll down a front window, a sometimes powerful pulsing can occur inside the cabin. You have to partially open a rear window to break it up or be happy running the A/C. At low speeds, the Highlander will exhibit a similar pulsing with the sunroof open. You can alleviate the noise by closing the sunroof a couple of inches or by again, rolling down a rear window. Not a complaint, but an observation : )

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Girls point of view :)

Hello All
From a girls point of view or a Moms:
The leather seats are great except they have this really nice pinhole pattern that looks beautiful, but gives me hives everytime I put my child into his car seat for fear he spills something on it and it seeps into the foam under the leather or discolors the holes- would have preferred solid leather and in a slightly darker color-strictly for wear and tear purposes. I have always loved a sunroof, had one on my infiniti, but the harmonics thing is a little annoying because that means I have to open a back window which again is where the car seat is.

Now, on the other hand, it has a great ride, smoother than my 2001 Classic Prius and it is nice to sit up higher and is easier for baby to see out and be occupied. It is a good looking ride and they tinted the back windows which in Florida is a blessing. Also most of the controls are the same as the Prius so you don't have to learn a whole new car. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't own another car that didn't have Nav, its great even when you are driving somewhere you know where you are going, you can relax and not worry where your exit is because Nav lady will tell you ahead of time, much less stressful driving.
I certainly feel better about gas mileage in this than I would have in a regular SUV mainly due to emissions, afterall I am a treehugger :)
Okay, sorry for the girl injection, you guys can go back to talking about horsepower, beer and torque and stuff :)
Kelley

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
sunroof

Oh sure.......I got all excited about the wind deflector :) until I went out and looked and it already has one :( , unfortunately it still "drums". It may not even bother a less sensitive person, I hate rattles. So, everyone should probably check it out for themselves. Thanks for the suggestion, tho :)
Kelley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.