Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My apologies if this is old ground. I did a couple of searches and didn't find the info I was hoping for. THe current similar thread appears to be headed in the direction of a Verizon problem.

I transferred to a new provider, TMobile, for my work cell phone and got a Motorola V330 phone, which a search here indicated has successfullly been interfaced with the car.

I have the phone registered to the car and have successfully made and recieved calls and set up a couple of quick dial numbers on the car from the logs. HOWEVER, I can't seem to transfer any numbers to the phone book from the phone (and unless I'm missing something, it seems to be a "feature" that you can't input numbers manually into the car's phone book.)

I'm wondering if I bolluxed something up. When I first tried to transfer the phone book I selected "send info" from the phone which I mistakenly thought would send the whole phone book. Instead it sent the first number in the phone book, which had been automatically selected. I went "oops" and immediately deleted the number. At this point, I began to notice that the phone was having trouble staying connected and it took me a while to realize that the phone was in a mode where the bluetooth power was only on temporarily in a "seek" fashion.

So... I figured out how to turn Bluetooth on for the phone constantly until I turn it off. Since then, if I try to send a phonebook entry from the phone to the car, without doing any setup on the MFD, I get an error message on the phone saying "Bluetooth connection is busy". If I choose settings>phonebook>transfer from phone The car puts up "please start transfer from phone" but the phone immediately disconnects from the car and refuses to reconnect until I cancel the transfer.

I have read both phone and car manuals without much joy. Any idea what is going on?

Can I somehow just wipe out all the previous setup and start over? Is there a reset function for the Bluetooth section of the car software? Was it just a total fluke that I got one number in there?

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is from memory, but if I recall correctly, you go to the screen that says, start transfer, and then it has something that says, add entry....(dang, it's late, and I'm tired...)

Anyway, on my phone (which is the same, I think...), anyway, you go to the phone number you want to send, hit copy, and then the phone SHOULD disconnect from the car, send the number, and then the phone, when done, will reconnect to the car.

(Did I confuse you to no end?)

I know that I had to send one number at a time, and that if the listing on my phone was spelled out, 'CD Store' (an example), on the car phone book, it reads that as 'D Store C', which is annoying, to me at least.

Maybe someone will come by, and explain this better then me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TJ, the problem is that when I do that, the phone immediately responds with "closing bluetooth connection" and refuses to reconnect until I change the mode on the car. It's as if it is blocking the handshake for security reasons, or because TMobile has nobbled that capability.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Astrowoman said:
TJ, the problem is that when I do that, the phone immediately responds with "closing bluetooth connection" and refuses to reconnect until I change the mode on the car. It's as if it is blocking the handshake for security reasons, or because TMobile has nobbled that capability.
That is odd. I have T-Mobile as well, and no problems. Hmm. Maybe someone here can add some thoughts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Astrowoman:

As a quick experiment, try turning your phone off and deleting the headset paring with your phone from the car. Then turn your phone on, go into the Prius menu to receive phone entries and try sending them with your phone.

TJ:

Ah yes, the infamous name chop. The reason it chops the name, and the reason it only can handle one number per entry is as follows (man, this is gonna get geeky, so just skip it if you don't care).

Most (if not all) phones store phonebook entries in a format called vCard (just as most calendar entries are vCal). It's easy, it's universal, and you pretty much have to use it if you're going to send contact information to any other phone, computer, PDA, etc.

When you go to send your entries to the Prius, you're opening an OBEX connection and pushing a vCard across for each entry. The actual vCard itself is pretty simple, and looks something like this...

BEGIN:VCARD
FN: Joe Person
TEL;HOME;123-456-7890
TEL;CELL;134-456-4321
END:VCARD

Or sometimes it'll look like this (and this seems to be the most popular way of marking a name)
N: Person; Joe

I haven't experimented too much with what happens when it parses the card, but it seems to loop thru the whole thing, looking for the name and number. But only one number. I'm not sure if it's a first in wins, or a last out wins situation, but either way, it's fairly poor programming. I'm not sure what could be tripping it up with CD Store, unless it looks for capitals in addition to semi-colons.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "delete the headset pairing" do you mean delete the phone from the car's memory of devices? Or something else?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Astrowoman said:
By "delete the headset pairing" do you mean delete the phone from the car's memory of devices? Or something else?
Yep... it may be holding a channel open before you can actually send it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts