Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a petition to have a V-10 in the next generation of the toyota Prius. As you may know, toyota has deep pockets in F1 and is developing a "Super Hybrid" capable of record fuel economy and acceleration from 0-100mph in 6 seconds.

I have alos heard rumors of a special Bob Ross edition in honor of the late nature and wilderness painter...

Please vote...Yes or No :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
You didn't say why you wanted a V10. I presume this is mainly for performance. That's fine but if it decreases MPG ( I'm sceptical about the term 'record fuel economy' - what class of cars are they comparing? ) and/or increases cost, I would be opposed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, after Straighte8 extracts his tongue from his cheek, Toyota WILL have all of those 3liter V10s laying about when F1 shifts to 2.4L V8s next season...

Why not///but only if they go back to tri-nitro-toluene and frozen fuel-cells.

Oh yeah, Bridgestone tires; the Michelins have not faired so well this past year :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I suppose you could design the V10 to use economical fuel under 'normal' use, possibly by variable displacement and shutting off cylinders that aren't needed. But if you are going to use the power a V10 would provide, you'd be using that much more fuel.
I suppose in a perfect world, it takes the same amount of energy to reach a specific speed regardless of the power to get there, since the time to get there will compensate, but in the real world, more power means less efficiency.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You mean a V10 hybrid or a hybrid that develops V10 power? the LS600h is one that mates a V8 to HSD producing V12-like power. I also assume you mean a one-off project to see its capabilities? That wouldn't be a bad idea

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Petition them to sell the Volta instead.

For Prius a bigger traction battery and motors would be better. After that a power output port (perhaps with an external inverter) for powering a house would be good.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
richard schumacher said:
Petition them to sell the Volta instead.

For Prius a bigger traction battery and motors would be better. After that a power output port (perhaps with an external inverter) for powering a house would be good.
The Volta is only a V6, but 408hp is way more than enough for most people.
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
1.5 liter V10, lots of tiny pistons going up and down.........

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
But you've all overlooked the reason the Prius was chosen for this modification. The designers looked for the lightest, most streamlined, best road handling, best braking prduction car to convert. The engine chosen is the Cadillac 1,000 HP ten cylinder that can run on 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders to get the economy needed as desired.
The modification for the Prius would make it a "one Lunger" for max performance. ....... ,,(no "stealth" mode here)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I vote for the smallest gas engine possible. Say a V2.
Not that I am against acceleration, but lets get it with electric.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow, when I first read this, this morning, I thought it was a joke. Like HaHa, let's have 'em add a 10.
Was it a joke, straight8?

HLreed, what you are looking for is the Corbin Sparrow (I could be wrong on the model name, they had two models at one time. It actually uses or used, I think they went belly up, a Harley clone engine. Which is a V2 engine. But it doesn't have room for 4, nor Nav, etc. But as far as I know it is the only Vtwin engined "car" sold in the last few decades in the US.

Hyperion, who chose the Prius for this modification? Prius, best road handling? I love my car, but best road handling?
But most importantly, wasn't the Caddy engine on that show car a 16 cyc.? Not a 10. To go back to their heritage?

Spike

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just remembered it was the Corbin Merlin with the V-Twin, the Sparrow was their electric car. The Sparrows I did see on the street, albeit rather rare, the Merlin I don't ever recall seeing except at a couple of shows -- Car and Motorcycle.

But, just did a search and came up with
http://matt_birchard.tripod.com/cars/merlin.htm

http://www.edgereview.com/ataglance.cfm ... dge&ID=301

so looks like some were sold, before the company went belly up

As for the Cadillac, it was indeed a 16, see:
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cad ... ixteen.asp
or
http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... xteen.html

Spike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hyperion you were close the origanl civic sold over here were using a slightly modified 450 cc 2 cylinder MC engine it was a vertical twin I used to tune them in my motor cycle shop couldn't fit in one tho rode my Indian or Harley instead

·
Registered
269 Posts
I propose a Mazda type rotary engine....

More power, more efficient and easier for the HSD system to turn over when needed.....

...a sequential 4 rotor on demand could be extremely efficient and with all 4 of them screaming you could easily achieve 300+HP out of these things when you want the performance...hmmmm...

·
Registered
269 Posts
...and by the way, I just finished up my new Flux Capacitor design for the Pri!....

2084Hp....and runs off banana peels!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts