Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 package 6- I will start by telling you I generally love the car and commute in it daily.

However it is the worst handling car I own. I realize it is not a road racer and neither am I, but the body sways quite a bit on the freeway in even mild wind, or normal driving conditions.

I would like to know if anyone, Koni, Bilstein, KYB, etc., is making/ developing a shock for our application. Anyone with insight?

OH, I already checked the above websites and found no listings for our application. I also used the search function on this site to no avail....
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Well, this particular Prius platform has been out for nearly 2 years and none of the aftermarket suppliers is particularly interested in doing anything custom or specific for it. Oh well.

Yes, the vehicle is very susceptible for side winds. Especially noticeable when passing a large truck or something that creates a huge air wake. Some users have had success gaining stability by having an alignment done and forcing the person doing the alignment to place exactly .05 toe in on each wheel (not just inside the acceptable ranges). Supposedly that makes the car less squirrelly in winds.

I don't find the car that difficult to handle in side wind situations or air wake situations. It isn't a rock, but it isn't unsafe feeling either. Just hold onto the wheel and drive conservatively.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As an update, KYB Shocks has E-mailed me, advising they are developing an application for our cars -due for retail sale in 2006 - No further information provided. That's something at least...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hm, I seem to remember someone wanting to do something similar on either PriusMods or Prius_Technical_Stuff (yahoogroups)...

Perhaps you can contact Toyota in the UK/EU and get some parts there? (They have a stiffer suspension than the North American version).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Handling Performance

The matter of the Prius being unstable in tight turns and high winds I have heard before. This is curious to me. I have found my 2005 Prius to be the most stable car I have ever owned, 10cars since 1950, one an MG (and the MG was rather stable). Perhaps it is because I have the VSC option and it is making compensations ????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts