Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. OK...I'm a newbie to this forum. Just got what I know will be my most favorite car of all time....2005 Pri, Package 3. I've been lurking this BB for the past week and it's time I became active...

Question on the Parking Brake. During my 25 years of driving, I can remember two occasions where I actually had to use my parking brake to slow the vehicle down because my service brakes were not working. I've had cars with "standard" shifts in the past, so the parking brake was a handle between the two front seats. I was able to steadily apply pressure to the handle without locking the brakes...and come to a safe stop.

I'm not comfortable with the Pri parking brake on the floor with the "push on-push off" motion. Is there another mechanical release for this foot brake that could be used in an emergency of you wanted to slow down and stop the car with the parking brake...instead of just stepping down on it and locking the wheels?

Thanks a bunch!
JeffnDallas

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Press lightly but not pass the threshold where it'd lock into place. You can try it when you're starting on an uphill. Just press lightly and see if it holds the car.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Press lightly but not pass the threshold where it'd lock into place. You can try it when you're starting on an uphill. Just press lightly and see if it holds the car.
Very Dangerous ! There is no "Modulation Feel" when depressing the parking brake pedal so might push it a little too much and the ratchet mechanism will lock the parking brake pedal. I do not recommend it !

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think that is why it they are called parking brakes and not an emergency brakes these days. In Jaguars, they now have a button you push with no chance of using it as an emergency brake. My guess is that brake systems are more reliable today and have more redundency but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're probably right about the "Parking Brake" instead of "Emergency" title. However, I did own a car with this kind of "pedal" brake and a lever that you pulled up to release it. If you pulled on the lever then you could step on the brake and release it and the pedel could come back up if you took the foot pressure off. I guess we have to trust the redundant service brake systems and not count on the parking brake for this purpose.

Thanks folks. I appreciate the quick responses.

JeffnDallas

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Even as an emergency brake, I am sure you'll prefer locked wheels (not very likely with mechanical braking) rather than no brakes at all.

But then it is unlikely you'll lose all brake. Between regen, hydraulic brake system power backup, and the system providing direct hydraulic control of the front wheels via the master brake cylinders when all else fails, you should always have some brake.

·
Registered
582 Posts
p brake

I agree with Dan completely about the hydraulic braking system. But if my middle pedal should ever go all the way to the floor I will be absolutely squshing the parking brake pedal. Even with the rear wheels locked, I reckon that I can still steer. Sort of.

Also sounds like a good time not to have an arm in front of the airbag...

DAS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys....I feel much better now :)

By the way...this forum is incredible! I've only had my Prius for 3 weeks and I've gotten so much information from this forum that I feel like this is the most "user supported" vehicle on the road.

Kudos to all of you!
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts