Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying two Prius's, one for the wife and one for me. I throw a paper route every day and average about 30 miles. It is in a residential area and so I don't get above 30 mph. It is pretty much stop and go the whole way.

Do you all think that the Prius would be an ideal car for this type of situation? I currently have a 2001 Mazda Protege (manual) that gets about 28 MPG.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
919 Posts
You'll get more than 28mpg, but with constant accelerations I wouldn't expect 50mpg. In every other way, the Prius will be a super car for you. It will heat up quickly, give a smooth, quiet ride (customers won't even here you outside their doors), and be enjoyable with neat gadgets. If you get the Nav system, you'll find all your routes! Watch those dogs, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
evander said:
Watch those dogs, though.
Funny thing, I've actually looked in my rear view mirror and seen both dogs and foxes walking away with the paper in their mouth.

Ken

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
kwe said:
I'm considering buying two Prius's, one for the wife and one for me. I throw a paper route every day and average about 30 miles.
Dang, newspaper carriers must be doing pretty well these days! :shock:

I don't think you'll see much above 35-40mpg for a stop and go route like that and the cost difference over your current car would not make the Prius a good economical choice. Still a good car, still less emissions, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but it's not the best choice based upon economics alone.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
What the heck is going on? "Paper throwers!!"
I've had my Boston Globe delivered to the box next to my mailbox furnished to me by the Globe for the past 17 yrs. Rain or shine, my deliverer was 75% more reliable than the postman.
He retired a few months ago and I now find my paper in a plastic sock thrown in the vicinity of my drive. Twice now, I've found a self addressed envelope in the paper perhaps once a month. Obviously for a "tip." Like a sucker I complied the first two months but never again.
I've always tipped my former deliverer well as he made that extra effort like getting out of his car occassionally to wade through 20 inches of snow to my box before I had a chance to shovel it out ect: He also got a good size xmas bonas.
Now, forget it. I feel a "paper thrower" rates his pay per paper from the paper but not a darn cent more!
By the way, I still miss the milkman coming into my kitchen and leaving a couple of quarts of milk with the cream on top in my refrigerator.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: **SIGH** How times change.

Seems not that long ago that your newspaper was almost always found ON YOUR PORCH by the front door... and a "wet paper" report or "missing paper" report had the Circulation Department sending a custom-delivered replacement on the way real quick. How many youngsters learned responsibility and money management being "paper boys" (or girls)? So much for nostalgia...

A PLUS for the Prius is the voluminous storage area... like, if you are a "2-person delivery team" (driver & thrower), lower the one rear seat back, have the "thrower" sit on the other back seat and throw. You could even lower the front passenger seat to provide more convenient flat space for papers.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
One negative consideration is the huge blind spot to the driver's side looking forward. The A-pillar blocks a substantial part fo the way ahead. With a paper thrower weaving along the street among parked cars and maybe kids playing in the street, that could be dangerous. you might want to try to test drive a Prius along the route and see if this is a problem.

(Oh for the old days of being a paperboy on my bike...)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Newspaper delivery

You might be surprised at the constant stop and go mileage. I have a series of speed bumps that I go through everyday. I floor it coming off of the first bump and coast to the next one, then floor it, etc., etc. Over this series of speed bumps, I actually pick up a few tenths (mpg) every day.

You might want to rent a Prius for a day or two before you buy and check out the mileage. Please let us know what you find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts