Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the correct board....but...

I was wondering if there was any Package 5 Priuses available in the states. All I seem to see availiable are packages 3, 4 and 6 but no 5 :(. I really like the 9 speaker system with the 6 CD changer but I don't want the Navigation system and bluetooth (nor do I think I could afford the 3 grand extra over a package 5). I was just wondering if it was available in the States.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot!! So that means that the dealers can order these if they want? (Like if I wanted a package 5, I would be able to go to my local dealer and they might be able to get some of them?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We special ordered a 3 package and it was going to take 2 months. They called us 2 weeks later that they had the same car but in Package 5 that came in and just needed to tint the windows and add the dvd players.... So we have package 5... they can definately order them and you might get lucky and have one pop up like we did!
We LOVE the new car :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
KiNGME said:
There is a package 5 available in the US but it seems most dealers either get the low-end package or upper-end... with nothing in between.
I wonder if this is a reflection of Japan's opinion of US drivers...

"Those pesky Americans... They're either cheapskates or they think they got all the money in the world"

???

·
Registered
84 Posts
I orered a package 6 a month ago and the dealer just called and said he has a package 5 would i like it i will let you have that for my package 6 :wink:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
All dealers in the U.S. have access to all option packages. However it is up to the selling dealer to decide if they want to sell you what you want, or not. Lots of dealers operate on the, "if it rolls of the truck, you can have it," mentality. If it isn't rolling off the truck, well we don't have it. Certain regions choose to state that certain packages are available, and they make those their primary lot stock, and as such a zip code search on the Toyota web site may indicate that certain packages are not available.

However, if there is a package number you want, your dealer should be able to find it in shipment and have it directed to their dealership for you.

That is what my dealer did for me, he went out and found one in transit and had it added to his allocation.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
jeromep said:
That is what my dealer did for me, he went out and found one in transit and had it added to his allocation.
Mine sure didn't. I finally requested my deposit back, and went to another dealer out of state who had what I wanted. A shame - I tried to give the local guy my trade...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thats good to hear, hopefully i'll be able to get a package 5 when I finally get my Prius (not exactly sure when yet, but I was just trying to find out information).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius and input various ZIP codes for places you're willing to go to, and see what packages are available in that region. (BTW: CA is broken down into a Northern and Southern region.)

I just checked, and New England gets: no package, BI, AM, AI, and BC.

If you are in an area where the Prius are flowing heavily (more cars than waiting lists), you might be able to do a special order if the package you want is not available, but you'll probably have to wait for your special order to come in...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Prius allotments in San Antonio are improving, but the owner of the dealership told us on Tuesday when we picked up our new Prius, he would love to quadruple his supply. We waited 11.5 months for our Super White Package #5, but the long wait was primarily due to the demand. When our order was placed almost a year ago, we were #80 on the list. Yes, it was a long wait, but my wife and I really love this car. We are so pleased with our choice. Was it worth waiting a year? Absolutely!

Bob and Tonie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Availability

It's not the dealer that restricts the packages. It's the regional distributor. Check this out. Go to http://www.prius.com, click the link to configure your Prius, put in your zip code and it takes you to a site to configure your car.

Now do it again and put in a zip code from a different region. For instance if you are in Texas put in a zip code of Washington state. You will go to a different Prius website. If you do that for many regions of the country you go to different Prius sites. Actually they are the same site, only customized to each distributer.

Now if you configure a car in each of those sites you'll notice some offer different option packages and different assesories. I have friends at one of the regional distributors. They told me they limit which packages their dealers can order.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Re: Availability

eeh42 said:
It's not the dealer that restricts the packages. It's the regional distributor. Check this out. Go to http://www.prius.com, click the link to configure your Prius, put in your zip code and it takes you to a site to configure your car.

Now do it again and put in a zip code from a different region. For instance if you are in Texas put in a zip code of Washington state. You will go to a different Prius website. If you do that for many regions of the country you go to different Prius sites. Actually they are the same site, only customized to each distributer.

Now if you configure a car in each of those sites you'll notice some offer different option packages and different assesories. I have friends at one of the regional distributors. They told me they limit which packages their dealers can order.
What is really going on is that the different Toyota regions are keeping their lot stock situation under control. Unlike domestic manufacturers which still allow you to actually put in a build order through a dealer, Toyota doesn't have this flexibility, yet. So, that means making cars constrained to a limited list of packages and an even more limited list of colors. So, what you get when you type in a particular zip code at the Toyota configurator online is going to be what the region is delievering to member dealers, without regard to special requests. Some dealers are choosing to only sell what is coming off the carrier (which isn't exactly a customer friendly activity), and some are taking what is coming to them and then tradeing those allocated units off from their allocation to get in units which meet customer desires.

It is not impossible to get a package that you want which is not specified as coming in to your region. You just have to find a dealer which will work with you. If you live in Washington State I can direct you to a dealer which will do exactly that. PM me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats a lot of the info and your offer, however I do not live in Washington State :(. But thanks a lot for all the help as this really clears up the situation a lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know that Gulf State Toyota, the distributor for Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and others around the Gulf does order Package 5. I just picked mine up two weeks ago in Oklahoma --- I live in Austin but drove 480 miles for the availability and price I wanted. Took me less than 4 weeks from first contact to delivery of the exact model I ordered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know what area you are from but I orginally ordered a Package 3 and got a called that there was a Package 5 coming in sooner so I took it!!!!!!! I love it!! I saw it today and will pick up tommorrow!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts