Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the location of the thermometer for the outside temperature? Also, my outside temperature always seems a few degrees too high.... does anyone else notice this problem?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I find the temperature display quite accurate. occasionally it might be 2 degrees off, which might be due to picking up a little engine/inverter heat.

Basically it is taking 1 degree C increments, and converting to F, which generally yields 2 degree jumps, with some 1 degree jumps, so that can account for 1 degree errors.

The sensor is on the front part of the AC condensor. Looks to be towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your dealer can adjust the reading for you, it takes less than 10 minutes, (but they will probably charge you 2 hours :wink: ) but if you know its a bit off, then why bother? I doubt they will ever get it 100% correct.

There appears to be several temperature sensors around the car for different things, but the one I guess you want would be behind the bumper (fender) area towards the left as looking at the car from the front. On my diagrams its labled as A/C environment temperature sensor (rought translation from German).

Then there is the A/C inner temperature sensor which is with (or inside) the humidity sensor towards the footwell in the center console (Drivers side I think, the diagram is not so clear).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine seems to read about 3-4 degrees high of what they usually say the temperature is on the radio. Of course, this could be due partly to my not living right at the airport (and the lag time between when they measure the temperature and when I am), but I suspect it may really be a few degrees off.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I dont see how we could say the temp control is off, except by testing in very controlled lab-like conditions.

Temp can vary 2-20 degrees or more just from one side of the same street (sunny) to the other (shady).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
I dont see how we could say the temp control is off, except by testing in very controlled lab-like conditions.

Temp can vary 2-20 degrees or more just from one side of the same street (sunny) to the other (shady).
And whether or not you are wearing a white fur coat. :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've made my checks driving by store/bank/whatever signs displaying time and temp. Found it to be pretty accurate for the most part. I've never found the radio announcers to be too accurate, but like you, I live quite a distance away from where they are quoting. In winter months, we're cooler.

I also have to allow time for the temp to settle as I drive out of my garage. That can take as much as 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
An04Prius said:

And whether or not you are wearing a white fur coat. :)
As a tree-hugging, clean air, obsessive about the environment type, it is unfortunate we are unable to switch to fake fur. :roll:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
As a tree-hugging, clean air, obsessive about the environment type, it is unfortunate we are unable to switch to fake fur. :roll:
Yes, but your fur coat is not "second hand," so it's ok. It's only when they're not home grown that it's a problem. Besdes, fake fur usually is made of petroleum distillates. Home grown isn't.

We'll give polar bears a special dispensation. Same with puppies.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
my understanding is that the temp sensor (at least for the Classic) is in the front bumper grill area, left side (US driver's side).

oftentimes the pavement will be warmer at the end of the day (blacktop keeps warm sun heat in), as compared to the electronic signs at banks and such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts