Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of the Outland Pet Barrier II dividers in their '04+ Prius? Did it fit and work OK?

Weather Tech and Dee Zee also maker similar designs so feedback on those models is appreciated too, though I'm looking most closely at the Outland at this point.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, well being impatient as I am and having gotten no responses here or at PriusChat I went ahead in my usual Guinea Pig style and ordered one of these myself and will report back on the product once recieved and installed.

I found this Outland brand divider/barrier at several places, most selling for $39-40 with shipping ranging from $7.50-$10.

But I found one here: http://truckcustomizers.com/products/R4OUT281.8A.html

for $32.54 + $8 shipping. The only question or difference may be that this doesn't specify that it's the "Outland Pet Barrier II" as most others do, so it may be an older style which would explain the lower price. Still, it seems like it should do the job.

The price range on these products is pretty big with some ranging into the mid-$100 range for some brands and styles. I know my local Toyota Parts place had the Outland brand for $70.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Continuing on this self stimulating activity of being the only one to reply to my own post....

Amazingly the product showed up in less than 48 hours...I just got the shipping notification by e-mail this morning!

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it doesn't fit...for 2 reasons.

1)The vertical support posts are too long by about 3-4 inches. I'll have to go back and look at them to see if they look like they can be modified (cut shorter) in order to fit b/w the ceiling and floor over the battery.

2)If they did fit vertically it would be very tight, and might be impossible to get the rods forward far enough to reach the ceiling b/c the hatch hinge is so far forward. It's close so that putting the bars at a bit of an angle it might be possible to get them in there, but it definately wouldn't be easy.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
post duplicated when the site was acting up....sorry.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Evan,

I've been reading your posts. I find this very interesting. I do not have a dog to transport. I do have cats, one does not need a gate because she is a very good traveler and just sits on a blanket in the front seat with a/c blowing on her chest. The other isn't such a good rider. He tends to run around the vehicle and get into trouble, so this might help keep him in a place I would want him. However I would still have to deal with his shed all over the back seat.

I wish you luck with your resize or return. Also, your post got duplicated above.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I had a feeling you would have problems, since the picture you provided shows it in an SUV. But I didn't have any detailed knowledge of it, so I hoped for your sake that it would be sufficiently adjustable. Apparently not. Do they have a smaller version for wagons and hatchbacks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts