Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I effectively determined that the 05 Prius will run without gas today. I knew was low on fuel, but thought I could wait and fill up after work, but didn't quite make it. I was going about 65 when the engine shut down and all the dashboard lights came on. I managed to pull off the freeway and drive about 3 miles at around 35-40 mph on electric alone. It was rather scary actually. I managed to find a station while the battery was still about 1/4 charged. I was impressed that it was able to keep running and even recharged the battery to 3/4 by the time I got to work about 10 minutes later. Has anyone else done this by accident/on purpose? Also, has anyone else noticed that the battery never seems to recharge fully. It gets to about 3/4 and that is it for me. I have not seen it in the green since I bought it three months ago.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hyperion said:
.........UNBELIEVABLE...............
Hyperion, I feel your pain. :( In fact, I'm not even going to say anything else, for fear it would be considered encouragement of, well... YOU know... :roll:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think the bear needs to start a new recovery group. It can start with an affirmation, "It is truly OK to put gas in my Prius when there are still some non-blinking pips! It is normal to put gas in at 1/4 tank."

In case the original poster really is an innocent lamb... the battery display ranges from 40% to 80% of full charge the car strives to keep it in the "blue" range, so it is fairly rare to see red or green and even rarer to see 1 bar or 8 bars. I've only seen 8 bars on a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNG downhill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
semajrolyat said:
I effectively determined that the 05 Prius will run without gas today. I knew was low on fuel, but thought I could wait and fill up after work, but didn't quite make it. I was going about 65 when the engine shut down and all the dashboard lights came on. I managed to pull off the freeway and drive about 3 miles at around 35-40 mph on electric alone. It was rather scary actually. I managed to find a station while the battery was still about 1/4 charged. I was impressed that it was able to keep running and even recharged the battery to 3/4 by the time I got to work about 10 minutes later. Has anyone else done this by accident/on purpose? Also, has anyone else noticed that the battery never seems to recharge fully. It gets to about 3/4 and that is it for me. I have not seen it in the green since I bought it three months ago.
I have seen my battery go green 100% while driving & mostly coasting down from a nearby mountain peak (10,200 ft down to 6,000 ft). In that state, on flat spots, I was running on electric-only at 40 - 65 mph! By the time I got back to town the battery was back to half way and hasn't gone that high again. If I could figure out how to charge it full overnight I think I could drive to work without gas, but I've read they desinged it as such to last. I am also now convinced I will never get 60mpg where I live, averaging 45mph but only on my second tank ever.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I regularly get 7 out of 8 bars all the time, but I drive through a pass that includes a long, steady decline. I've even seen 8 on occasion.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Running out of Gas in a fuel sipper ?

Read the following story:

My silver 2002 (Platypus) has run out of gas twice. The last time
happened a few weeks ago returning to New Jersey from a visit to
western Pennsylvania. I made a mistake not topping off before leaving
Pittsburg. I was travelling east on Route 80.

I don't reqcall quite where the fuel light started blinking. I must
have drove about 60 miles on empty. Not a good idea.

I thought I could make it to New Jersey.

I thought I could make it to Dover.

I thought I would just stagger across the state line . . . . which is
exactly what happened.

Just after crossing the Delaware to NJ, the gas motor stopped. Now,
in a hybrid car, the gas motor starts and stops all the time as the
motive power is handed off between the gas engine and the electric.
But this time I knew the jig was up. Sure enough, a moment later the
screen lights up with all sorts of warning lights with drastic
messages. You would have thought it was the end of the world.

"Hybrid System Failure"
"Power Steering Pump Failure".

There was a third one, but I can never remember it.

Before it was all over there was a forth one that I'd never seen
before: brake failure.

All the power assists are electric, you see.

Well, I decided I would continue until the car rolled to a stop and
then figure how to proceed. I was travelling at 70 mph whe the motor
failed, and the electric drive held the car between 60 and 70 for well
over a mile. Then the car slowed as the traction battery became
depleted.

Then the computer shut down the system entirely to prevent the
traction battery from being damaged. So I wwas coasting. There was a
sign saying that exit 4A was 1/4 mile away. I didn't think I would
make it. The car was already slowing when the sign came up. 50-45-
40-35 . ..

I tuned on the blinkers.

I was rolling maybe 10 mph when the exit came up. It was an uphill
exit. I said, "I don't think we'll make it." But we came to the top
still moving, if barely. There we had to turn left and cross the
overpass over the highway. The gas station was on the other side.

I said, "I don't think we'll make it" and to tell the truth, I was
sweating gumdrops. I thought I'd have to get out and push. But we
were still moving, if barely. So I steered left and we started across
the overpass.

I tell you, I walk faster than that car was moving. And I don't walk
very fast at all. But moving, if only at a slow creep, the car
crossed the overpass.

On the other side I had to do another left and then a quick right to
get into the gas station. The car was moving so slow, I could have
stopped it by opening the door and putting my foot on the ground. I
thought "We'll stall in the middle of the intersection".

But I steered left and held my breath, and the car creeped across the
intersection. Then I steered right into the gas station. And when
the car finally stopped of its own accord, it was exactly infront of
the gas pump.

You may be asking, "Why didn't you stop for gas in Pennsylvania?"
Well, everywhere except New Jersey, gas is more expensive and you have
to pump it yourself.

New Jersey has cheap gas and self-service is not allowed. But this
was the first gas station in New Jersey. It was the most expensive
gas in New Jersey.

I think paid $1.92 for a gallon of regular.

I admit it was foolishness not to stop for gas sooner.

Platypus started promptly after fill-up (hint: you must re-boot) and
there was a little unacustomed jerkiness coming off a dead stop until
the traction battery was recharged, but by the time we got home (after
another 60 miles on I-80/280) it was fine and so far as I can tell, no
ill effects of my folly.

Next time, I promise, I'll gas up in Stroutsburg!

Is this story Great or What !! So please _do_not run out of gas in a Prius
you probably won't make it !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, the reason I ran out was because my 2000 Frontier used to turn the low fuel light on halfway home on my 32 mile commute, and I routinely was able to make it home and back to work before refueling after work. I was suprised that my Prius started blinking the light just before I got home and I ran out of gas before I even made it back to work. I would have thought I would have a longer range with a Prius, but apparently they don't give as much warning of impending doom. The whole reason I got my Prius was because I drive 64 miles round trip for work and I was tired of filling up every 5 days. I can go about 10 with the Prius, but I try to stretch it because I hate refueling.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Sorry but I can't believe anyone could run out of gas in any car today . And especially admit to it!! ( that is of course if you have a buck in your pocket)

Of course when Sister Mary Margaret ran out of gas in her Prius on her way to visit a sick patient as she was playing "russian rolette" with the flashing blips on her fuel guage. She felt herself very lucky to spot a gas station less than a block away when the car quit running.
She walked to the station where she was told by the only attendent that their only gallon can had been used just prior to her arrival but the customer should be "right back" and she could have the can. After a twenty minute wait Sister walked back to her car, removed a bed pan from the hatchback and went back to the station where she purchased a gallon of gas. While she was pouring it into her tank two drunks across the street watched with interest and one said to the other, "if that damn thing starts up I'm converting to catholicism"

·
Registered
319 Posts
KTPhil said:
I regularly get 7 out of 8 bars all the time, but I drive through a pass that includes a long, steady decline. I've even seen 8 on occasion.
Ditto!
I see 7 bars daily and probably 8 every other day. Its just that I live at the top of a hill, so it charges up on the way down.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Running out of Gas in a fuel sipper ?

Read the following story:...
there was a little unacustomed jerkiness coming off a dead stop until
the traction battery was recharged...
Sounds like there was a little unacustomed jerkiness behind the wheel, too!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Brian said:
...I see 7 bars daily and probably 8 every other day.
Do you just 'see' them, or do you stop in?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, a couple days a go, I filled up the tank after having driven 60 miles on the last blinking pip. (Probably 80 miles since it went down to one pip, 60 miles on blinking.) (I was running around like a mad man busy, almost HOPING it would run out so I would have an excuse to take a break. I also knew that my entire day's driving would be on city streets with a gas station always less than 2 miles away.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
In my 28 years of driving I've run out of gas twice.

First time taking a friend to the airport. A '72 Pontiac Catalina 400 with a four barrel carb. There was only one gas station in the 15 miles between the college and the airport. We ran out about a quarter mile from the station, and he still made the flight.

Second time in a Ford F250 with a 460, 9:30 p.m., on Interstate 75 just north of the Florida state line. I saw I was in trouble, since I had run one tank dry and the second one almost empty, and started driving at 50 m.p.h. to the first exit I saw a gas station. I got down the ramp, sitting at a red light waiting to turn left. It started shuddering, and I knew it wouldn't last long. Luckily the light turned green, and the truck shakes and starts moving. I go the few feet down the road and turn left into the gas station, where it runs out of gas and coasts to a stop, about two feet short of the reach of the gas pump. I was able to get a couple of guys to help me push the last bit.

So never having to worry about running out of gas in the Prius, in my opinion, is a big deal. And I learned my lessons, so now I'm filling up whenever it gets to a quarter tank. I think that's what it says in the manual too.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have never run out of gas, but one car I had acted like it did for a while. Bad fuel pump.

A Neon I rented would also act like it was out of gas if you started it cold when it was under a 1/4 of a tank. Once filled, it was fine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have only ever run out of gas once. I was a college student, BROKE, and driving out from Chapel Hill to the mountains to meet my parents for vacation (and to solicit alms). I knew I'd been driving for a long time on that last tank, but I had no cash, and on the steady uphill the tank showed 1/4 full. Didn't make it.

Hasn't happened since. Went down to 1 pip on the way home yesterday, will buy gas first thing today.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ihave never run out of gas in my 15 years of driving. I am a bit too paranoid about it and would hate to get stuck somewhere because I wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sorry but I had to ask.. how in sam hill would some people actually ran out of gas ?

I guess I will never understand. I've been driving for over 16 years now and never yet even ran out of gas once. When the yellow light (old cars) came on, I just find gas station right there and get it over with.

My Prius blinked, I turned to get gas right there to fill up.

I guess that is one thing I prolly won't understand how can someone ran out of gas nowdays especially gas stations are nearly everywhere :lol:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts