Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew i should go to the gas station before work, but i had just noticed the blinking gas light, and figured i'd have a good 10 miles at least. I traveled the two miles to work, and after work headed for the gas station. But half a mile from work, the ominous red triangle with it's evil exclamation mark popped up on the dash. The car went to electric, then slowed to a coast just as I came to the gate of my housing development. I coasted in past the guard gate and it kinda died.....the car would not run, but the dash remained lit (except for the MPH numbers), and the power button light was amber. I pushed on the power button, but it did nothing. Eventually the car shut off completely. Everything went to black. I called Toyota (local and national)...they said put gas in or get it towed, which ever worked best. AAA came out and put in gas. It started up right away, and after a minute, the warniing lights went away, and the regular read-outs appeared. I'm guessing that the car shuts itself down BEFORE there is a major problem. I was down to one bar of battery energy, but within about 15 minutes of driving it was up to 3, and eventually back to normal. I"m guessing that my problem was simply running out of gas (AAA put in $5 worth...2 gallons, and I put in 9.6 gallons. But i also saw the posts about stalling and shutting down. I"m just glad my Prius resurrected itself with no damage. And I will never let it go below 1/4 tank!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you get before the last pip started blinking? (I filled up when the last pip came up not waiting for the flashing--glad I did I guess.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Why, oh why, do Prius drivers think they can cheat the blinking pip and drive even after the friggin' light is BLINKING and the dash tells you to GET GAS NOW?

Would anyone think to do this in a regular car?

At one pip I fill up. IT's at least 450 miles between fillups, and I put in about 10 gallons. Sure, I could push it, but WHYWHYWHY? The time you lose when you are stopped and waiting for the tow more than makes up for any savings in time filling up a few miles early.

·
Registered
669 Posts
KTPhil, I keep wondering that myself! The manual actually says (as do most car manuals) that it is a good idea to fill the tank when it is down to about 1/4. I have to admit I tend to wait until I'm on the last pip, but I was bad that way with my previous car.

So why DO Prius drivers want to wait until the very last minute? It doesn't improve mileage or anything... Why?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I can think of no more foolish thing to do with a vehicle than run out of gas. :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My gauge starts to blink at 325 miles (mpg around 50-53), if I put gas in then I would only be able to get 5-6 gallons in. That is why some owners ignore the flashing bar. I drive 400 miles then try to put in 8 gallons which means I ignore the gauge for about 75 - 100 miles. I have never been able to put in more than 8 gallons. Some one the early 2004 cars behave this way, the later ones are much better.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Wow, only 5 gallons from empty? 340 miles to blink? Pitiful.

I was able to drive 87 miles on blinking before chickening out. Put in 12.12 gal. Started blinking about 597. Aprox 58MPG.

This tank I am similar to that, but unfortunately my MPG is 54-55 due to the fact I did quite a bit of hwy driving last weekend, which plummeted my mileage down to 50 MPG.

·
Registered
515 Posts
davotto said:
I will never let it go below 1/4 tank!
I've been preaching the "9 gallon" rule, suggesting people only use the gauge as a confirm instead. Make MPG & Distance shown on the Multi-Display your primary indicator of how far too far is:

40 MPG = 360 miles
41 MPG = 369 miles
42 MPG = 378 miles
43 MPG = 387 miles
44 MPG = 396 miles
45 MPG = 405 miles
46 MPG = 414 miles
47 MPG = 423 miles
48 MPG = 432 miles
49 MPG = 441 miles
50 MPG = 450 miles
51 MPG = 459 miles
52 MPG = 468 miles
53 MPG = 477 miles
54 MPG = 486 miles
55 MPG = 495 miles

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
KTPhil said:
Why, oh why, do Prius drivers think they can cheat the blinking pip and drive even after the friggin' light is BLINKING and the dash tells you to GET GAS NOW?
The excitement of living on the edge :) Or a matter of convenience.

For instance, my commute is 150 miles round trip. With 4 bars on the guage, I can fill up after work for $2.07 ... I can fill up after 75 miles at home for $2.23 ... or I cut it close on a full round trip and get fuel tomorrow for $2.07.

For me, because of my anal-retentive record keeping, I know for sure that I can make 75 miles on the last two bars in either cold weather or a headwind (and maybe both but I doubt I'll try) ...

Once my warranty has expired I fully intend to take the car down to empty just to see how far after the blink I can go... Dan claims his tank holds over 12 gallons... The most I've ever put into mine is 10.88 and that includes those times I've filled it clean to the neck.

·
Registered
919 Posts
John's chart is really on target. (How'd you do it?) With my last fill up at 43mpg I did have about 387 miles.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ray on PriusChat was able to go over 700 miles, and put in 12.75 gallons once.

400 miles? I could do that with my eyes closed. No, then I can't drive safe. One hand tied behind my back. Heah, that would work.
Actually, I'd still have 2 or 3 bars at 400 miles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Ray on PriusChat was able to go over 700 miles, and put in 12.75 gallons once.
The tank is rated at 11.9 gallons... I'm wondering if that service station didn't have a miscalibrated pump.

I usually get ~400 miles, and if I fill shortly after I get to the last pip it is between 8 and 9 gallons somewhere.

I still don't understand what so dire and awful about putting only 6 gallons in. Why is this bad? Running out of gas is surely worse.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, first of all, there may be a reserve beyond the rated 11.9. Second, the 11.9 might be after the first click, and I can get another gallon in there after that.

The mileage does pretty much match up with the gallons. I suppose the only way to settle this is to fill with a calibrated gas can. I have a 4 gallon that I could use, just have to find out exactly where 4 gallons is exactly on the can. I don't think it has clear markings.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
"when light blinks, get gas" :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Seems like a simple decison to me, too, bear!

It also occurs to me to wonder if the folks that only can put 6 gallons in when down to one pip are actually getting the tank full in the first place. It does take 2-3 gallons to drop that first pip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts