Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I will be in NY for 2 weeks in December (4 -6th) and then in Florida (Ft Laurderdale) for 3 nights (20 - 23rd)

What sort of temperatures should I expect?

I assume NZ will be cold (around freezing?) and Florida would be t-shirt weather. Is this correct?

Where in Ft Lauderdale can I rent a Prius and how much should I expect to pay per day?

Thanks

Victor

·
Registered
928 Posts
It should be pretty hot in New Zealand in December :)

New York's temperatures vary widely during this period. The really cold temps don't usually hit until January. We've had plenty of Christmas-New Years weeks in the 60's/70's but also in the 20's and everywhere in between. I would pack for 40's, but bring layers and a warm coat so you can adjust.

If you're planning on standing in line for tickets to shows and you get hit with a cold day, it can get pretty miserable with the wind blowing through the concrete canyons. So you might want to keep your plans somewhat flexible.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You may have t-shirt weather that far south; then again, I was visiting my dad one Christmas and he had a storm and a cold front move in overnight that resulted in temps in the low 30's and power outages (ice formed on and took down some power lines). If you're packed for cold weather in NY, you'll be covered for "worst case" in FL. I'd go ahead and plan for shorts/t-shirt, but have jeans and a sweater, sweatshirt or light jacket handy "just in case" (and for after sundown anyway). :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oops, Victor, I just noticed you're from Germany. So I should have given you Celcius ranges. NY in December can range from highs around 20 to lows around -5. Pack for 5 but bring layers and a warm coat. Some years, wind protection is very important.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks,

We will be on a cruise with the Queen Mary 2 to the south of the Caribbean so it looks like we will have to pack for very cold to very hot, in addition to the very formal required for the Captains Dinner!

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Temperatures in NY should be somewhat like temperatures in Germany. Temperatures in Florida should be somewhat like temperatures in the south of France.

Think you can help NASA get the first Pri into space? I hear they're looking for reliable transportation...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Temperatures in NY should be somewhat like temperatures in Germany. Temperatures in Florida should be somewhat like temperatures in the south of France.

Think you can help NASA get the first Pri into space? I hear they're looking for reliable transportation...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kenmce said:
I doubt it. I dont have anything to do with NASA, other than the occasional use of their ground stations.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I hope you have a good trip!

Here are the average temperatures for December, with the record highs and lows, in metric:
New York City, NY:
http://www.weather.com/activities/trave ... moMonth=12
Fort Lauderdale, FL:
http://www.weather.com/activities/trave ... moMonth=12

(This past June I took a cruise to Alaska. I planned my clothing based on the historical averages: 60s^F and rainy. We never saw any rain, and had record-breaking temperatures in the high 80s^F. We were far overpacked, and wished we had brought shorts along with us, instead of sweaters...)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alaska, nice. Ive heard a lot of people say its worth the trip up there, but its a bit too far for us!

Anyone got info on Prius Rentals? We will be in Key Biscayne for 3 nights after the cruise and I would like to get to the kennedy space center, so I guess we will need to rent something.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Victor,

I can't help you with rental cars, but if you do get up to see the Kennedy Space Center, go an extra 15 miles North and eat dinner at Dixie Crossroads. It's one of the best seafood restaurants in Florida. Try the rock shrimp. :)

N 28d 36' 54" W 80d 49' 10"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts