Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everybody:

This is to let you all know that Florida is about to be hit by hurricane Charley. I will be doing my own things to prepare, and I want you all to know that my hopes and prayers go out to everybody else in the path of this thing.

Very shortly, I will be unplugging my equipment and moving things toward the interior of my abode, so I may not be able to hook up with you until well into the weekend.

I hope I "see" you on the other side.

Good luck and God bless you all. Keep in mind that our nation's political discourse and conversation is important, but not more important than the people themselves are.

Be optimistic! Be of good cheer! And for now, batten down the hatches and pass the bottled water!

·
Registered
381 Posts
We're "back"; power came on a few hours ago (off since 9:30p on Fri). Nothing major at the house, although the general area is a mess.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, folks!

Yeah, I made it back. The storm was very very bad. Lots of people have lost their roofs, cars, mobile homes, etcetera.

I lucked out. Very little damage at home. No broken windows. My Prius got a dent, but better her than me!

Hey, the eye of the storm passed over me. Yow! Very weird. Very frightening. Very surreal.

The whole area is a huge mess. Power is still out in major areas, and up until about 30 minutes ago, I was here in the office working on batteries. Now that the power is back on, I'm going to stick around and let the cell phone, PDA, and laptop charge up before heading back home.

Phone service, land AND cell, is spotty. Traffic lights are still out in many places. Lines at the gas stations go for over a quarter mile in many places. I am content in the knowledge that I could drive out to the coast on a gallon, get a fillup, and drive back and still have over 10 gallons left in the tank! :twisted:

Hey, did I ever say I LOVE MY PRIUS? Oh yeah, I probably did a few times. :p

Anyhow, life is definitely different here, with the lights and AC off, and most area restaurants, bookstores, libraries, and places closed. Those restaurants that are open are usually only serving coffee and bagels.

The contents of my fridge are no doubt spoilt by now. No biggie. Did I say I could drive out to the coast for a hot meal if I got hungry? :p Say it with me now.... I love my Prius! :roll:

I'll be serious for a moment: I really don't want to gloss over or minimize the truly devastating impact that this storm had on some folks here in Orlando, and even moreso farther South in Punta Gorda.

My heart and prayers go out to them. I've seen the convoys of help coming down I-4. It's on the way, folks. God bless, and Godspeed.

More to come on this when I have more time. Take care, folks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
inverter

Look back in this site junder "technology" heading and you will find earlier postings about someone who uses his Prius with an inverter to maintain some basic elect. functions. It might keep the old cell phone running when a power outage is lenghthy. Fascinating car!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I was in orlando for the last two weeks with my prius and got cought up in the hurricane, I just got back to the site today.. I ended the trip down at 50.2 MPG in my 02. dident do nearly as good coming back to new york through the rain (only 46 MPG) No damage to the car and Disney was relocated me from my tent into a hotel for the storm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts