Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a Prius since they first were introduced. Ever since I saw the redesign, I've been quite excited. Not only is this car fuel-efficient, it's got tons of options that many other cars don't have. I love things that are technologically advanced.

My boyfriend just went through ordering a MINI Cooper and had to wait about two months for it. Others who are ordering the MINI now won't get their car almost six months from now.

My question is: what is the ordering like for the Prius? What is the normal wait time? I saw a blurb somewhere about how some people are waiting months for their Priuses. I would like to know if I should order one and prepare to wait for a while until it's received. I would likely customize it with the exact options that I want rather than just buying any one the dealer has available.

I know I will be combing this forum for all info about the Prius, given I am pretty well learned about the MINI now. :)

Thanks in advance!

Jen

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suggest you stop by your local Toyota dealership and pick up a brochure. The 2004 Prius has approximately 9 packages available, the 2005 will have 6 packages. The rear wiper becomes standard for 2005.

Buying a Prius is in NO way similar to buying a Mini. The Mini has an awesome amount of customizable options, not so on the Prius. With the Prius, you get your choice of "packages" and that's it. You can choose one of 7 exterior colors that Toyota has available. There are 2 choices of interior colors for the white or black Prius, otherwise you get the interior color that Toyota has chosen to go with the exterior color and those colors will be gray or ivory.

You don't actually order a Prius, you get on a waiting list. You'll want to shop around and find a good dealer, and I wish you luck with that. Your wait may depend on where you are in the country and how far you might be willing to travel to pick one up. If you're willing to pay more than MSRP for the car, you'll probably have the option, as many dealers willing sell these cars to the highest bidder.

Good luck, it's an amazing vehicle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. I knew it wasn't as customizable as a MINI, but I knew that there were various packages. I've built my Prius a thousand times online. :) I wasn't sure how receiving your "properly" packaged Prius went down.

When are the 2005s coming out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jen,

*THAT* is a good question, and I don't know that anyone here actually knows...I am 35th in line at my dealer who says they're currently processing 3 new PRIUS cars every month...do that math and that spells a 12-month(!!!) wait.

I'm counting on some people dropping off the list as well as Toyota's increased production for 2005 to help me out. Does anyone have a clue about the 2005 production and when we may see an impact on the people currently on wait lists?

[email protected]

·
Registered
261 Posts
jenmarsh said:
When are the 2005s coming out?
Started production last week. Last 2004's are on way to dealers. Dealers should start seeing 2005's in mid to late Sept.

rpm

·
Registered
623 Posts
With some cars you order the car you want. period. Toyota makes it as hard as possible. You get on a dealer's waiting list and (usually) pay a deposit. The deposit is refundable if you change your mind, so you can get on several lists at different dealers.

The dealers receive the cars that Toyota feels like sending them. The number they get depends on prior sales numbers. The options packages they get depends on which packages Toyota thinks will sell in that region. Some packages are not available in some regions.

Some dealers play fast and loose with the waiting list, some charge well over MSRP; but others simply offer each car that arrives to each person on the waiting list in turn. The more flexible you are about what package and color you want, the better are your chances of getting a car.

You will read on these chat boards of folks who phoned all over the country and found a car available much sooner at a distand dealer, flew out, and drove their car home. At present it seems that if you are willing to pay $5,000 over list price you can get one pretty quickly.

Before you travel any distance, make sure you have a very firm commitment from the dealer (in writing is nice) as to exact price, options, and any dealer add-ons. People have arrived at the dealer only to find that the dealer insisted on including extras, such as leather seats, for very high mark-ups - take it or leave it.

Sounds like folks are talking about 8 months to a year waiting time, but Toyota has promised to increase production, so maybe things will improve.

This car is well worth waiting for, as long as you are prepared for the wait. It is the coolest car in the universe. I would not trade mine for three Mini Coopers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts