Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ordering process question. I want an Metalic Gray with HG. That's all. I put down a deposit and signed a "Buyer's Order" form back in mid-August. The dealer was clear that I might not get it by the end of september. I was fine with that. I've called every few weeks and again today and I'm starting to get worried. Every time I get the whole "it's not showing up on my allocation report" story. But he never fails to mention that he's got a few with bigger packages and a few added accessories... He can't tell me when it will be in and I have no way of knowing if the order has even really been placed.

I ordered my last car (04 Mini Cooper) and got basically a tracking number I could always get an approximate build time delivery time, etc. Sure Mini is a little over the top with all the internet stuff but after a few months I figured my Toyota dealer could at least tell me if the car was going to be here this year!

Is this standard or is he just waiting for me to settle on a higher priced car? Because that's the way I'm feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re

I just ordered my 07 Prius today, fully loaded(alittle over $29,000) and was told I would get a call every couple of weeks with the status of the vehicle. And once she gets the week(a 7-day span) it is being built, She will give that to me as well.

Can't Wait!

There could be as much as a 3-5month wait she said though.

I'm from Long Island, NY.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: Re

techman01 said:
I just ordered my 07 Prius today, fully loaded(alittle over $29,000) and was told I would get a call every couple of weeks with the status of the vehicle. And once she gets the week(a 7-day span) it is being built, She will give that to me as well.

Can't Wait!

There could be as much as a 3-5month wait she said though.

I'm from Long Island, NY.
This is how the process was for me, too, but I also ordered a fully loaded model, though an '06.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The cars are not built to order. The dealer gets a list of cars he is going to get (package, color, etc), and then he allocates them to waiting buyers if any.

However some dealers do play games. Feel free to check out multiple other dealers, especially ones further away from metro areas. Check out the dealer section of this website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanMan32 said:
The cars are not built to order. The dealer gets a list of cars he is going to get (package, color, etc), and then he allocates them to waiting buyers if any.

However some dealers do play games. Feel free to check out multiple other dealers, especially ones further away from metro areas. Check out the dealer section of this website.
That's the feeling I was getting. So, is there any feedback between the dealer and the factory? Can they asked to be allocated a certain car if they have a buyer?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Galaxee or one of the other members associated with a dealership may be able to answer better, but I don't think a dealer can request a specific car. I believe the dealer can REQUEST, but not necessarily get, general allocations. I believe the region distributor has a factor in the allocation and distribution as well.

This can cause a catch-22. If people want red but the dealer doesn't have red and the clients they really want the car, they woul buy the blue one that the dealer had. So now he has more demand for blue than red so he gets more blue.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I went to a dealership with a 300-ish long "waiting list." How it works:

1) Put down a $500 deposit & request package/color, the more open you are to package & color, the better.
2) Wait!
3) Say spot #1 wants a black package 3, spot #2 will take anything, spot #3 will take anything.
4) A purple Prius (yes, I know there isn't a purple) and is a package 6.. car will be offered to spot #2--if they decline.. it will be offered to #3.. #3 takes it! #1 and #2 are still in the same order on the waiting list.. and the others bump up a spot.

It seems dealerships are allotted based on the amount of cars they sell. You find a "high volume" dealership and they will get a lot more Prius cars than others. For example, Longo was being allocated 75-85 Prius cars when I put a deposit down for my car in August.. I got my car delivered in February. In April a friend of mine wanted to buy a car.. I called my friend that was also my salesman--and he said they were getting more Priii now (roughly 120 per month) because of the increased sales of Longo.. blah blah. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help. It makes sense to me now.

Now my question is, how willing are dealers to refund deposits. I've got one down, can I go to a few dealers and get in their lines to see if they get alocated the right car first?

·
Registered
991 Posts
crazydayv said:

Now my question is, how willing are dealers to refund deposits. I've got one down, can I go to a few dealers and get in their lines to see if they get alocated the right car first?
From what I've heard on here.. almost all dealers HAVE to refund the deposits. I know here in California its part of the law.. and in most states I believe (there was a discussion about this before, I just don't know where). If you question it at all, I'd have a manager write a note on the deposit slip that says its 100% refundable or whatnot..

·
Registered
30 Posts
DanMan32 said:
This can cause a catch-22. If people want red but the dealer doesn't have red and the clients they really want the car, they woul buy the blue one that the dealer had. So now he has more demand for blue than red so he gets more blue.
The first thing my salesman told me was, if you're willing to be flexible about color it'll be a lot faster. Their order form asked for three color choices. I got my third choice the day after I signed the order.

I also think it is a good idea to keep calling. I was so surprised when I had a car offered to me almost immediately, that I asked, "What happened to the long waiting list?" I was told, "Oh the list is real. I'll show it to you if you want." The impression I was left with is that being at the top of the list did not give you first dibs. (At least at this dealer.) I think they just started working down the list and the first one to answer the phone and say yes got the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
crazydayv said:

I shopped a few dealers. With all of them except one, the little piece of paper I signed stated that the deposit was fully refundable and there were no obligations should I choose to not accept the car. The charge for this was $500.

One dealer, however, said that it would cost $1,000 to order, and said that, (I'm paraphrasing now) "...since they're building the car specifically for you (an out and out lie, as I understand how this process works), how could you expect us to refund the money?"

Their paperwork was a lot more involved, too.

Also, this dealer was selling cars that had the leather package added to them, instead of being built like that to begin with, and didn't seem too eager to reveal that.

The bummer was, the leather was not perforated as the OE material is, and the leather-wrapped steering wheel was NOT part of the deal, either.

I would strongly suggest getting the information you require in writing. Period.

I can't remember if you gave a reason for being in a time crunch, but if time is not critical, maybe it's best not to rush things and let the process take its course...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work at a Toyota Dealership ...
Here is GST (Gulf States Toyota) TX, OK, LA, AR , MO.
We are able to get a specific vehicle for a customer. EXACTLY the requested equipment... down to interior color.. based on what is being built... In other words of the available production we can mark a vehicle and actually request all factory equipment, accessories etc..
GST is really cool to be associated with since the "port" offers lots of options to make vehicle "preferences" done at the Port when a customer wants a certain package but wants leather and does not necessarily want other items.. Whereas many other dealers will only "allow Leather" on top of the line models.. etc....
Just FYI... A lot of dealers dont want to have to "trade" inventory for another color in some regions... SOME AREAS ARE SO COMPETETIVE WITH EACH OTHER that some dealers dont/wont always cooperate with each other very well... Here in GST they tend to help each other swap "incoming allocations" to make it easier for the dealer to acquire the "right" vehicle for the customer... I cannot speak for every GST Dealer ,,, But for ours I can..
We do not ever charge over sticker here at our store...we are a pure Price "original MSRP" store...always have been....

The "largest dealer" idea (where they are the best source for the best chance at getting what you want) although in theory sounds good....But is not 100% accurate...

Any dealer with good relations with other dealers can swap incoming allocations to match a vehicle to a customers needs/wants/requirements GIven that the customer is patient... No fast food orders...they are not corollas :wink:
When buying / ordering your Prius ALWAYS get a Printout from the dealer with the exact agreed upon equipment and have them sign it with you so you both have an agreement in writing as to the color (choice(s) ) and equipment and agreed upon price.... That is everyday practice here at our dealership.. We want the customer to have 100% confidence we will deliver what they asked for.. and they have a signed copy ...

Customers who are more flexible with options and colors do tend to get their cars quicker for obvious reasons.... :wink:
Dealers do not want the cars to sit at the PORT or at the dealership longer than they have to... SO BELIEVE ME .. WE are all disappointed whenever the pipeline shows a vehicle to be -10 days and then all of a sudden it goes to -15 days..
Dealers want to "TURN and Earn".... Just as the customer wants their beloved Prius, FJ , etc ..and want it Yesterday!!! :lol:

So.... remember...Dealers are not all shady and bad... not all of them...there are many, many , many good ethical and responsible dealers...

If you have any questions about dealership operations or "urban legends" that need resolving ...feel free to ask... just ask kindly! 8)

CHEERS!!

Prius4U

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My Prius customer's order works this way.

Discounts ! Alarm, Alert ! ( Tentatively in Process )

How about discount on Prius purchase for the PriusOnline forum members ? Anybody agrees ? Let say, $500.00 to $750.00 I would like to know please post your input !

In the meantime till my plan is deployed.

All ordered/Reserved vehicle at MSRP or at the Factory Sticker,
nothing more nothing less. Yes 2007 Models included !
_refundable_ to you in the event that you have already found one at other dealership or just postponed your purchase at the time beeing.
Also New: The Sunroof for the 04~07 Prius are available now.
All technical hurdle resolved to install the ROOF !. & Many,Many
more _Useful_Accessories for your Prius+ More Gadgets !
Pre-07 Prius owners, call to see if your desired accessories are available for your Prius.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MrJWhite said:
where are you located, CrazyDav?

If you're in SoCal, I have your car on the ground...
South Eastern PA, so that would be a bit of a haul. My car is on the way to the dealer, but now it's full of accessories I didn't want.

Gee wonder how that happened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.