Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been looking around for a specific package & specific color (I know, its a little late in the model year for that!).

But, now, I've started thinking about 2007's already, and I was wondering about how it works (from those of you who've been through this).

When you order a Prius, specifying the color,options, etc. that you want, what does the price you end up paying come out to?

MSRP? Is there any room for negotation?

Or (shudder) will it be more than MSRP?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In the upper-midwest, i haven't run into a dealer charging more than MSRP for Prii (maybe in minneapolis?)

I know the Minneapolis BMW dealer has been over MSRP on mini-coopers, so i'm sure the possibility of over-MSRP pricing exists. :x :?

good luck

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It depends on dealers. Around here, most dealers try to scalp. At least Orb in the Sky does. I haven't polled the ones closer to Tampa/St. Pete. However my friend's wife had been looking and she hasn't seen it for less than MSRP (over in fact), although she may have only checked out Orb in the Sky.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hummius said:
In the upper-midwest, i haven't run into a dealer charging more than MSRP for Prii (maybe in minneapolis?)

I know the Minneapolis BMW dealer has been over MSRP on mini-coopers, so i'm sure the possibility of over-MSRP pricing exists. :x :?

good luck
MSRP firm here still.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius
On the left side, go to "Build and Price your Prius"
enter your ZIP code

That'll give you the MSRP and available packages in your region. Repeat for other regions if you are looking for a specific package.

It's possible to get less than MSRP at some (very few) places. Walk out of any place that has an "availability surcharge" or markup over MSRP, because they have one available...

Some dealers may load you up on accessories or dealer options (Southeast Toyota region loves to put ToyotaGuard on everything, even if you ask specifically that you don't want it) and try to make more money that way. Be sure to specify exactly what you want, and don't pay for anything that you don't want that gets added anyways.

·
Registered
991 Posts
In California, you can find Prii in certain dealerships, and none in others. Why? The ones that have the Prii claim they are selling them at MSRP, but they throw in things that you don't want and try to get you to pay for them ($4000 chrome wheels, leather, etc.).

Some dealerships, like the one I bought my car from, take deposits down and start a waiting list. You do not pay anything but MSRP, nothing more, nothing less. I preferred it this way. I ordered at the end of Nov 05, and took delivery in Feb 06. This was pretty fast to me, especially hearing on here that some people waited 6 months+.

I purchased from Longo Toyota who used to be allocated 80 Prii per month, now they're upt o 110 per month and still have a wait list of 300+. This doesn't necessarily mean it will take you 3+ months to get one from them--from what I've heard its usually 2 months, longer if you want a Package #8.

You should be able to ask the dealership how many they get per month, are they doing a deposit/wait list, etc. I find the ones that do not want to take deposit and tell you "First come, first serve" are the ones most likely to try and put add-ons and get you to pay for them (and they refuse to take them off for you to buy it).

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
To the OP, good questions and you are smart to come here and converse a little about this subject.

My expreience is that with most dealers, even if the dealership is putting on a "regional adjustment" or any other side sticker to bump up the price, if you balk enough, they will get rid of it. In no circumstance should you ever pay more than MSRP for the vehicle (aside from government taxes and fees). I even question the whole "document fee". $30 or $40 bucks isn't a huge deal, but when doc fees that the dealer charges that are beyond about $75, that is just pure profit to their bottom line.

If you are unsatisfied with the priceing you see at dealerships near you, then expand your radius of search to find a more competitive and accomidating dealer. You are under no obligation to purchase your car from you local dealer, nor are you unable to attain warranty service from a local dealer. In the land of warranty service, "it all pays the same." So, the local dealer gets brownie points from you if they treat you well in the service department.

In short, shop around, find a dealer you can work with and purchase there. Never pay more than MSRP. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In '04 when I ordered, I called dealers from San Diego through Oregon. Roughly 4 of 5 charged MSRP. Avoid the dealers who don't. :evil:
Search this site for other comments on dealers. Also, search for Ron Gallaway if you want the extended warranty. He sells it for under $1000 and the other dealerships will honor it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try building your car through internet sites like Edmonds and MSN Autos.
Local dealers with contact you with an "internet price". The two Toyota dealers in my area quoted me prices between $500-$800 over invoice.
I paid 800 over invoice for my 06 package #3.
I had the car 7 weeks after my local dealer preferenced it.

Bill[/b][/i]

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Dan & orangewingnut,

I don't know why it seems there is so much confusion & interchangable use in these forums with the terms INVOICE & MSRP. For many, many years now I've always understood that INVOICE (which is NOT usually shown to the public) means what the dealer pays the manufacturer for a car. And MSRP [the window (or Monroney) sticker] is what the dealer expects YOU to pay HIM for the same car (the difference between MSRP & INVOICE, of course, being his profit margin). On most vehicles not in high demand or short supply there is usually negotiat'g room somewhere between those 2 prices.

Then there is a "market adjustment" sticker added sometimes for vehicles in scarce supply or high demand. Or sometimes an "optional or special equipment" sticker added for vehicles with dealer-added options or accessories. There is not usually any "budge" room on prices for these stickers.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
586 Posts
cid404 said:
Hi,

I've been looking around for a specific package & specific color (I know, its a little late in the model year for that!).

But, now, I've started thinking about 2007's already, and I was wondering about how it works (from those of you who've been through this).

When you order a Prius, specifying the color,options, etc. that you want, what does the price you end up paying come out to?

MSRP? Is there any room for negotation?

Or (shudder) will it be more than MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
so where are you Located ?????

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes, 800 over invoice. What the dealer paid for the car (20,006) plus options (pkg #3, 1,218) plus destination (580.) plus floor mats (156)+
dealer profit (800) is what i paid.

This is the second Toyota i have purchased this way. The first one (05 Sienna was 500 over invoice

·
Registered
15 Posts
DanMan,

no photos, but i did purchase an 06 solera convertable for my wife the same day i put a deposit down on the prius.
I tried to push for even closer to invoice than the 800, but that was as low as he was going to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.