Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having much luck in the general forum, so I thought I'd repost here:

Scheduled for a mid-July delivery. Could have had it sooner, but I wanted to wait til my current lease is over.
I got the middle package in tideland pearl. No navigation, just AM/FM single CD.

My question is, what's the best way to install an auxiliary input on the stereo? I want to plug in my mp3 player (which isn't an Ipod).
I don't want vid-screen integration or anything, just a way to plug it in for sound. I've heard a PIE adapter might work. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not interested in using an fm transmitter.
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. I did a search and found lots of similar questions, but nothing for my specific situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure if the standard audio system has a cassette player as well, but if it does, a cassette audio adaptor results in far better sound than the FM radio method. The upgraded audio system does have a cassette and I'm using that as a (simple) way to connect my iPod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not have a cassette adapter, which is why I'm looking for a way to add an auxiliary input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done all of these things, and have found nothing definitive. I was hoping to find someone with actual experience in this.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
He doesn't have anything just for the IPod, nor anything just for Audio yet. Heck, he doesn't even have something for Audio/Video shipping yet. Sure, you can order the latter, but not shipping yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The cheapest way would be to utilize a small FM transmitter adapter for your Aux device. The quality won't be perfect but it would allow you to adjust the volume using the onboard system.

Otherwise, if you wanted something hardwired, you would have to tap into the wiring of the deck, but you won't be able to control volume from the deck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anybody actually read my post? People keep suggesting things I already discounted. Is there no simple answer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
DON'T JERK WITH THE AUDIO SYSTEM!!!

I did read your post and all the replies. What I take from this thread is that there really isn't a recommended way to add an aux input to the stereo! Further, if you were to get into the guts of the unit, you'd no doubt void the warranty since you're modifying the circuit boards. Also, since the audio is integrated with other systems, there is a real possibility of messing up other vital control systems of the car. Take it from someone who knows--I own a Prius (2 days old!) and am a M.S. Electrical Engineer who (in a former life/career) sold lots of car stereo equipment at a retail electronics store.
Your best bet, as people have already advised, is to use an adaptor. There are two camps--people who prefer the cassette and people who prefer the FM transmitter. I just bought a Monster Cable FM transmitter for my iPod ($50. + tax/shipping from Yahoo Shopping), and it works as described, however the noise & crosstalk with other local stations is an annoying problem. I know people who use the cassette method and from what I understand there are noise & distortion problems with them as well, however I suspect that there may be issues with volume (gain) controls that they don't understand, and therein lies the distortion problem with cassette adaptors.
My solution for the best sound is to just use CDs and if I want to play my iPod, I have to suck it up and deal with the compressed, noisy sound. It's just not worth voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Making audio modifications shouldn't void your warranty unless it is clear that the otherwise warrantied problem can be shown to be caused by your mod. Some such items might be a blown fuse, or the audio system not working properly, but anything beyond that is unlikely.

Unless you blow a fuse or cut a wrong wire, modifications will not affect the operation of the car itself. Might cause audio or even MFD problems, but the AV system has its own network that is only bridged to the other 2 networks (BEAN for body electronics, CAN for drivetrain) by a gateway ECU. If the AVC was shorted, car would still run. You wouldn't know what was happening, as the MFD would be dead, and you wouldn't be able to control the HVAC from MFD (though steering wheel control for HVAC would still work), but car would run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jopa,

good thread on one of the options (AUX-BOX) that I installed to get my AUX input can be found here:
http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6206

Works great. I'm using it with Archos MP3 player and Sirius Sportster.

PS: After posting this message I've noticed that the AUX-BOX link is not valid anymore, but I'm sure you can find it if you look for it (Google..?)

Good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Regarding distortion using a cassette adaptor/ipod, I was going nuts trying to figure out why the sound was distorted until someone gave me the best advice. When using the cassette adaptor, turn the volume down on the ipod down 1/4 to 1/3—and turn the car volume up. Amazing difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is very helpful, thanks.
Cassette adaptor is not an option, as I don't have the cassette player.

Pepa said:
Jopa,

good thread on one of the options (AUX-BOX) that I installed to get my AUX input can be found here:
http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6206

Works great. I'm using it with Archos MP3 player and Sirius Sportster.

PS: After posting this message I've noticed that the AUX-BOX link is not valid anymore, but I'm sure you can find it if you look for it (Google..?)

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts