Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled for a mid-July delivery. Could have had it sooner, but I wanted to wait til my current lease is over.
I got the middle package in tideland pearl. No navigation, just AM/FM single CD.

My question is, what's the best way to install an auxiliary input on the stereo? I want to plug in my mp3 player (which isn't an Ipod).
I don't want vid-screen integration or anything, just a way to plug it in for sound. I've heard a PIE adapter might work. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not interested in using an fm transmitter.
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. I did a search and found lots of similar questions, but nothing for my specific situation.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I saw something called an "FM modulator" in Costco today. Claimed to be able to route any audio device through the car stero. No idea if it works...

·
Registered
27 Posts
It works, they broadcast a tiny FM signal picked up by your car's receiver. They've had the technology around for a long time. It used to be the easy way to ad a CD player/changer to your car stereo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some searching for an FM modulator, they all get pretty lousy reviews. Any one have experience with these, or a PIE adapter?

·
Registered
157 Posts
FM modulator

I bought my daughter an FM modulator to use with her IPOD.

Two problems:

1.] finding (and keeping) an FM station that is truly "empty" as you move across distance (and signals change);

2.] In the Prius, the FM antenna is, of course, in the back, although I'm not sure this is as important as 1.]

By the way, it's the cheapo Belkin carried by Target.

Finally, I will say that when it is working, it works just fine...it's just that as you move across territory, you have to keep finding new stations to use.

Oh yeah...we intend to read the manual soon. :oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I realize you don't have an iPod, but there's probably similar solutions for any reasonably popular mp3 player.

I own the Monster iCarPlay (iThink) for my iPod, but I've ordered the coastaltech A/V input thingy and I'm considering getting an adapter that plugs into the tape deck in the meantime. The monster one was about $40 and it's very good, but after about 8 months of using it in my last car and almost a month in my Prius, the static in between tracks is really starting to get on my nerves...

Get the tape adapter if you don't mind the wires, the FM adapter is really nice with the Prius as it's completely hidden away in the center console. I've always found the signal strength to be acceptable, certainly adequate. But the tape adapter will produce a much better sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts