Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consensus is that a sub helps out immensely. But where to put it?

1) Rear cargo area floor: In the way if I carry stuff.

2) Rear cargo area, left and/or right side cubby: tough geometry to fab housing

3) Rear hatch panel: theoretical only--I don't know what's behind the panel, and slamming hatch won't help speakers; but it's out of the way and would provide a bass reflex enclosure.

4) How about replacing the rear door woofers with speakers hooked to the sub EQ/amp? This way, it's a clean install, and since bass is non-directional, both front and rear should enjoy good full-range sound. Reports are that there is enough room in the door for a speaker with a heavier magnet, and the input is full-range.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I put my sub underneath the rear floor. It's a self-enclosed module. I was concerned about muffling the sound, but after testing with the cover on/off, it thought it actually sounded better enclosed.

Here's a crummy phone-pic. It's sitting in the "tray" with the hatch floor/cover removed (since replaced).

BTW - It sounds fantastic.

DGStan

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
DGStan -

Who did the installation, what brand and model sub is it, and how much $$?

I've been wanting to add a subwoofer, but I didn't want the hatch floor-mounted Bazooka that I saw in another thread because I'd be afraid of being dragged out of my car and given a close-up view of the pavement by an overly-enthusiastic bomb squad cop every time I drop a friend off at the airport. (or am I the only one who thinks the Bazooka looks less than innocuous to the casual observer?)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did the installation myself. It was a piece of cake (at least compared to the EV/NAV homemade switch solution). It a Kenwood w00x, but I think there's a newer model. It hink I paid around $150 for it on EBay.

There's a thread on PC with a lot more details:
http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kenwood-mini-sub-vt7080.html

I, too, wasn't interested in the Bazooka or Basslink. Not because they look suspect, but I didn't want to sacrifice the space required for an "extenal" unit. I was also concerned about theft. Both of those units are very nice and quite easily jacked.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I really couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.

DGStan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts