Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I orderd my prius with option #9. Just like the song #9 #9 #9 #9. (grin) Everything in9 i wanted but navagation.

So now I am looking into the Navagation system and do not find much info on the toyota web site about how it works. Where are the mapsfrom?
I have read about a DVD maps, Is there a DVD player in there somewhere? in it GPS based?

Thanks Mark 8)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
navigation

The satnav system is made by Denso. They have a good description of it on these pages: http://www.denso.com.au/satnav_main.htm

There is a little box under one of the front seats (for a US 2004, under the driver's seat).
This is the ECU, what reads the map/POI/voice DVD, and also the gyros. The GPS antenna is buried elsewhere (probably deep under the dash).

The US maps are provided by GDT, Geographic Data Technology. http://www.geographic.com/home/index.cfm (you can report map errors here)

There is a separate large owner's manual just for the navigation system. It can be downloaded from the Prius-2G yahoogroup, last I checked.

Basically, the car gets its position based on GPS satellite information, and barring that from the car's gyroscopes and wheel speed. It displays that on a map, taken from the DVD database.

you can have it route you to a destination, and it'll give you voice prompts for turns. it'll auto-reroute you, too, if you stray off course (and have the setting on). you can also have it display icons for things such as ATMs, gas stations, fast food, universities, etc., and have it direct you there (and it'll give you a phone number to call there if you wish).

you also get some memo/reminder screens, that you can program to remind you when it's time for a major service, or it's your anniversary.

On the 2004 Prius, you also get with the navigation system the capability for the car to act as a bluetooth headset to your compatible bluetooth cell phone. You also get the voice-activated commands (for nav, radio, and climate control), but in practice the Prius tends not to recognize your voice commands more often than it understands them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The BC package is #9 on the 2004, but will be called #6 on the 2005. Identical car, but the options packages will be numbered differently. So, unless you get your car pretty soon, you won't have the connection to the Beatles song.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like you I kind of gritted my teeth over the high cost of package 9 because I wanted the SS/SE and alarm but really didn't want to pay that much for the Nav system. Then I took a long weekend trip to Florida with my kids and ended up falling in love with the Nav system! IMHO the user interface has a high learning curve but once through it the usefulness is great.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jlmdutch said:
Like you I kind of gritted my teeth over the high cost of package 9 because I wanted the SS/SE and alarm but really didn't want to pay that much for the Nav system. Then I took a long weekend trip to Florida with my kids and ended up falling in love with the Nav system! IMHO the user interface has a high learning curve but once through it the usefulness is great.
That's funny. I wanted the nav system, but not the alarm, homelink mirror, or bluetooth. So I wasn't willing to pay $3000 for just the Nav system. (For $3k, I could get a kick ass notebook computer with GPS receiver and good software.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: navigation

Hi,
My question is what is under the passenger seat then?

Thanks,
Bryan

mrv said:
The satnav system is made by Denso. They have a good description of it on these pages: http://www.denso.com.au/satnav_main.htm

There is a little box under one of the front seats (for a US 2004, under the driver's seat).
This is the ECU, what reads the map/POI/voice DVD, and also the gyros. The GPS antenna is buried elsewhere (probably deep under the dash).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts