Toyota Prius Forum banner

Onwer's Manual

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  stancy 
#1 ·
Question regarding the owner's manual. Does the Prius come with a nice case. Mine was handed to me in a paper/cardboard looking folder. I haven't had a time to ask the dealer yet if I was supposed to get a leather or leather looking folder/case. Please let me know what you got from your dealer?

THX................

#3 ·
I didn't even get the envelope. We were just handed a stack of manual, warrantee books, and other stuff. It al fits well, though, in the rearsection of the lower glove box. There's a little divider near the back that the manual and other documentation very well.

#6 ·
I got a folder made of the kind of paperboard that breakfast cereal boxes are made of, with a rubber band to hold it shut. But considering that the car itself is the coolest automobile in the universe, I've got no complaint about the folder.

#7 ·
Picked up my 04 on 15 Dec 2003. Papers came in a light cardboard folder but... the manual and a couple other things came in a beautiful black leather folder with Toyota and emblem embossed in red. I would think this would ba a Toyota mfg not a dealer thing but then I notice that the European 04 has the antenna toward the front vice rear of the roof and a couple of other changes so who knows. One would think that a Prius is a Prius no matter what country but not so.

#10 ·
Daniel

This is for Daniel. Daniel, your post almost makes me wonder if you think we plan on eating the leather folder. [Just kidding] :wink:

I eat mostly vegetables myself but it's a personal preference not based on "animal rights". I tried the vegetarian route a few years ago when I developed heart problems and I lost a LOT of muscle mass and the doctor told me that I should eat at least 2 to 4 ounces of meat a week (of any type). If you're young be careful to see that you ingest the proteins and other nutrients that meat provides you via vitamins, etc. so your body won't feed itself off your own body to obtain the ingredients it needs to function properly. Moderation is the key to most nutritional issues.

#11 ·
Re: Daniel

stancy said:
This is for Daniel. Daniel, your post almost makes me wonder if you think we plan on eating the leather folder. [Just kidding] :wink:

I eat mostly vegetables myself but it's a personal preference not based on "animal rights". I tried the vegetarian route a few years ago when I developed heart problems and I lost a LOT of muscle mass and the doctor told me that I should eat at least 2 to 4 ounces of meat a week (of any type). If you're young be careful to see that you ingest the proteins and other nutrients that meat provides you via vitamins, etc. so your body won't feed itself off your own body to obtain the ingredients it needs to function properly. Moderation is the key to most nutritional issues.
Stancy, from an animal-rights perspective, it doesn't matter if you eat it, wear it, or buy it and throw it away, the cow is just as dead one way as another. I'm not a radical PETA-type person. But I don't eat meat or wear leather, and I certainly don't need or want a leather case for the owner's manual.

It is almost impossible, in an industrial country, to get too little protein without also getting too few calories. and eating meat does not produce muscle mass!!! Lifting weights produces muscle mass. The average american diet is extremely unhealthy, and most people eat too much meat, not too little.

The biggest cause of muscle loss is going on a severe calorie-restricted diet without exercising. Faced with too few calories the body will burn muscle, regardless of the protein in the diet.

A good recipe for health is a balanced diet with very little meat if any (your 2 to 4 oz per week is reasonable - but I dispute the assertion that it is necessary), half an hour of aerobic exercise 4 or 5 days a week, and moderate weight-lifting (for muscle tone and bone density) 2 or 3 times a week.

And of course, convince all your neighbors to buy a Prius so the air you breathe will be cleaner.

#12 ·
Daniel has hit the nail on the head with his advice. I specifically declined to order any package that had leather as a component when I bought my MINI. I stopped eating dead animals over 25 years ago, and my patients seem very happy they're not on my dinner table. Dr. Fusco, do you eat your patients when they crash and burn?? :lol:

#13 ·
Daniel

Daniel, it sounds as if you know what you're talking about. I did exercise while on my veggie diet. I still lost muscle as well as fat. But the fat seems easier to put back on...LOL

Thanks for all the information. I'm enjoying my new Prius (750 miles so far). Over 48 mpg on the open road. Don't know what in town is yet.

Stancy

#14 ·
Re: Daniel

stancy said:
I did exercise while on my veggie diet. I still lost muscle as well as fat. But the fat seems easier to put back on...LOL
I'd be really interested to know what you ate, and what exercise you did. Losing muscle mass suggests an extreme crash diet, which is not a good idea anyway. It's also worth asking how you knew you were losing muscle mass. Did you have an under-water fat-percentage analysis? Under-water weighing is the only accurate way to find out your fat percentage, and, by extension, to know if your weight loss was fat or muscle.

And if you were eating dairy or legumes you were getting protein. A low-protein intake can only be achieved by eating an utterly unbalanced diet. You would have to eliminate all grains (bread, cereal, pasta) and all beans & peas, as well as all meat, fish, and dairy products in order to achieve a diet with insufficient protein.

I'm more inclined to believe that your exercise was not sufficient. Indeed, if you reduced your calories enough to lose muscle mass, you probably didn't have the energy to exercise enough. But again, loss of muscle has little to do with protein intake. It results from a combination of too few calories and too little exercise.

It is true that there are relatively few vegan sources of vitamin B-12. If you totally eliminate all animal sources of food (meat, fish, and dairy) then you have to be sure to include one of the few vegan foods with B-12, or take a supplement. But since it is fat-soluble, it takes a long time for a B-12 defficiency to manifest itself.

#15 ·
To Daniel

Daniel, for several years I ate very little more than salads (olive oil dressing) and fruit plates. Occasionally I would eat pancakes, oatmeal and cerals. I never ate meat. I took all kinds of supplemental vitamins, the main "one a day" was LifeForce. I lost a lot of weight and the reason I mentioned muscle mass was the dimensional change in my body. I became very thin. Oh yeah, I took a fairly large amount of Co-Q10. I didn't have very much energy but I did experience less angina pains while experiencing this lifestyle. I walked on a treadmill and purchased an in-home gym and did six different exercises on it. I never got above 50lbs in the use of the weights.

Bottom line was I went from 190lbs to 170lbs and I could tell dimensional loss top to bottom.

I was told my my doctor that I needed bypass surgery or I probably wouldn't make it a year. That was eighteen years ago and I still haven't had bypass. Some of my friends who were the same age as me did elect to follow their doctor's orders and two of them are no longer with us (they may have died in any case, but we'll never know). I have had no invasive surgery(s) as of this date but have taken chelation therapy and I have been on an enhance counter pulsation machine extensively. The chelation worked better for me than the ECP machine but both produced positive results.

I am now approaching 64 years of age and when I become eligible for Medicare I will make some hard decisions. I am comfortable with my lifestyle now and can function a full life, albeit a slowed down version.

As before, I can read a lot of intelligence in your emails and appreciate your thoughts and expressions.

Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.