Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The response of my son to the news that I had bought a new Prius a week and one-half ago is "Only a fool would buy a Prius!" He is a recent Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Wisconsin in computer sciences and owns a Toyota 4Runner V8 4WD. Any suggestions on how I might respond to his statement? :?:

·
Registered
736 Posts
only a fool

How disrespectful on the part of a son! I hope he learns some manners and gains some discretion as (may we assume?) enters the job market. If I were you, I sure wouldn't be offering any gas money for that toy of his! I could go on and on, but will be watching this thread, where I'm sure there will be some good advice from others!

·
Registered
33 Posts
"I choose not to spend $50 when I can drive the same distance I can for $20."

"He's entitled to his opinion."

"I am happy with my car. I didn't buy it for you to be happy. What you think about it doesn't mean anything to me."

"What you think of how I spend my money is of no concern to me."

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If your dad's a fool, what are you?

·
Registered
232 Posts
wow.......how bout a back-hand to the left-side of his dis-respectful, spoiled little phi-beta-kappa cheek?
Maybe he's still just mad that you didn't let him go to Ohio State?

Go Buckeyes.....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ask him to use his truck to pick up some lumber at a store 50 miles away.

When he comes back give him $4.50 for gas. When he says that won't cover it...say that it's more than the Prius would have used.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Dear Son:

Hope you like my new Last Will & Testament; leaving most of my estate to Environmental groups to clean up the mess you are making. For you it provides:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
dzitlow said:
The response of my son to the news that I had bought a new Prius a week and one-half ago is "Only a fool would buy a Prius!" He is a recent Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Wisconsin in computer sciences and owns a Toyota 4Runner V8 4WD. Any suggestions on how I might respond to his statement? :?:
Demand a paternity test immediately!

·
Registered
8 Posts
dzitlow said:
Don't respond, just wait for the price of gas to go to $3/gal, at which point he may mention the price, then you can smugly take your choice from the previous suggestions :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's all about being a kid growing up who can't get used to the fact he's going to become his dad.

Don't war with him. He's part of a generation that TV has been telling for years that he controls his parents. That he is smarter than his parents. That his parents will buy whatever he tells them to. Which of course is how so much junk gets bought. Admit it.

Take him flying over the wilderness and crash land your plane into a very remote lake, then try to figure out how the both of you can get out together alive. Don't take any survival gear.

That's the best answer I can think of.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
So you're asking the advice of all us other fools?
Go figure! :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
How about letting him drive it, and show him some info from John's and Grahm's sites. If he understood how it worked and the mileage it gets for its size, he might reconsider.

It is a midsize on an economy diet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"graduate of the University of Wisconsin in computer sciences"

Maybe he's thinking of all the software in the Prius. Someone asked me why I bought a Prius, me being a software engineer and presumably knowing the pitfalls of software.

·
Registered
154 Posts
dzitlow said:
How about telling him: "Live and learn"

·
Registered
669 Posts
I work at a very highly respected technical institute and there are at least a half dozen of the beasties parked where I am on any given day, and a few in the "named" spaces where the nobel laureates park... :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
dontcheff said:
dzitlow said:
How about telling him: "Live and learn"
He will "live and learn", but you can't tell him that now and be heard. :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
If your dad's a fool, what are you?

Ooh I love riddles.

Hmm.... I'll go with...

Am I Currently The President of The United States?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Rich D. said:
"graduate of the University of Wisconsin in computer sciences"

Maybe he's thinking of all the software in the Prius. Someone asked me why I bought a Prius, me being a software engineer and presumably knowing the pitfalls of software.
At least it is not a Windows machine. :D

Think of the future. Sealed engines so it never needs oil changes, tires made of new materials that mean no flats, blowouts or rotating. And when you get a problem, you will download a CD from Toyota that you put in the car's CD player (or aux if that is not working :( ) to diagnose the problem. It will tell you if you need to go in for service or update the cars software. :roll:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts