Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, yesterday me and my wife took a prius out for a testdrive at my local dealer. I have tried it a couple of times before and is pretty convinced that it´s the cars of my dreams (well, actually I can think of quite a few other cars that I would rather have, but not without robbing a bank first). However, it was my wifes first contact with a prius and she had a load of comments about it that I had not foreseen. She thought the interior felt cheap and plastic and the comfort wasn´t even close to our current car (a citroen C5 2001 with 210 hp v6 engine and gashydraulic suspension). So, is my judgement a bit blurred by all the freaky gadgets and technical things about the car and will I regret buying a prius in a couple of months when the "gadgetmania" has cooled off? Anyone here that regrets buying a prius (probably not the right place for this question)? I imagine that I will be happier at the gas station since the mileage is doubled with a prius and the gas is approx. 8$/gallon in sweden.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
sprett said:
So, is my judgement a bit blurred by all the freaky gadgets and technical things about the car and will I regret buying a prius in a couple of months when the "gadgetmania" has cooled off?
No. Be happy. Join us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe

I think the Prius is a great car. Whether or not you will be happy with it depends on what you notice and appreciate.

For me I could really care less about luxury. I've never really liked leather, I don't notice highway noise, etc. So, the prius is a no-brainer.

What I gather from reading various forums is that it's different for other people. What's interesting about the Prius is it draws different types of people to the same car. You have people like me who got a fancier car than I normally would have because of the hybrid technology, and you have other people who are buying a less luxurious car because of the technology. It makes sense to me that someone who places a lot of importance on things like, feel, finish, quietness is more likely to be disappointed with the Prius.

In short, it depends what's important to you and what you are used to. I think the Prius is an outstanding example of what it is. A Toyota with cool new technology. If you're used to driving a BMW you'll probably notice it's a Toyota.

Rob

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Hi sprett

It is very unlikely that posts here will change your wife's mindset. May I assume she has her *OWN* individual car? In the spirit of "fairness" (Who ever said spouses {eigher gender} were "fair?") you should have your *OWN* individual car and she really doesn't have to like *YOUR* car.

Over a year ago, we found a 12,000 mile "used" Prius in stock in Dallas and took a test drive. I'm confident my wife hoped I wouldn't like it - but I did. (Didn't buy that one - overpriced and used...) I prevailed and now she's pleased with the fuel economy and "features" of the Prius. We bought our Prius on eBay "slightly used" (4,000 miles) - originally owned by a Toyota employee who had a family death and offered the car for sale. OH - by the way... No other "private repercussions" either. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
new technologies are always scary at the beggining. I have have my prius since sometime ago and so far I have no complains. The car it is not a bullet regarding to speed (i was not loking for that ) but it acelerates better than i expected.

the only complain that I have is that the advertised MPG is far too inflated (according to Toyota 61 MPG) the best I can achieved is 51 MPG.

Aside o that I am very please with the car. I got it in the Katrina aftermath and I was very please to fill my car with just 25 bucks and the tank lasted for almost 522 miles almost the double of my previous 4runner.

I have not have any troubles so far with the car. Just enjoy it, Good luck in your search :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wait for the 2006. It's getting an interior trim upgrade to match the leather option available here.

The toys are nice and I'm still enjoying it one year later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think you will find any automotive magazine with a comparative road test of a V6 engined Citroen C5 and a Toyota Prius.

Maybe the 2 of you ought to talk about what qualities and features are important for your new car to have before you buy one?

Then you could point out the benefits of owning a hybrid car like a Prius. :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don´t intend to spend money on having 2 different "new or almost new" cars, since I use my second car (a 500$ mitsubishi "soon to be a wreck" car) less than 3000 miles a year. So, one new car and one old is the solution for me. Of course it would have been best to have both the citroen and a prius, but I don´t think my wife or my wallet would agree to that solution.
About waiting for the 2006, yeah that´s my plan but it´s irritating that I can´t get a clear wiew of what changes to expect. Sure, somewhere around oct/nov the production of the 2006 will start but will it be the same changes for the european market as for the american? I couldn´t care less about leather seats, but I really would like better seats. I can´t figure out why they didn´t use the seats from, let´s say, the corolla instead.

But, back to the issue. Some of you must have traded bigger, faster and more comfortable cars in for the prius. Anyone dissapointed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dissapointed? NO!!!

Performance. The Prius accelerates from 10 to 50 mph like a more powerful car thanks to the Constantly Variable Transmission. I have not driven it in the mountains but it should perform well even at the higher altitudes thanks to the combination of electric and gas power. Cruising speeds are not a problem as I have had mine to 100 and it was still pulling. By-the-way the instant read out was between 25 and 30 mpg at that speed!

Handling. This is not a Prius strong point. It tends to lean heavily in the turns. The more you push it the more it leans. I think the spring and shock rate is good but the sway bar(s?) are weak. I don't know of any aftermarket swaybars but I am keeping my eye out for them. The ride is good and comparable to other Japanese cars of its size.

The Prius replaced a '96 Honda Odyssey (4 cyl) mini-van. This was a low point for performance and handling in our lineage of cars. Our previous '88 Acura Legend V6 would be a better comparison to your Citroen so I know where you are coming from. Our current stable consists of 3 American, 1 Italian and 2 Japanese cars.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Our other car is an 02 Camry 2.4 litre. I don't feel that the Prius is any slower than the Camry. The ride is stiffer for sure (note that we run on 15" tyres while you guys get the 16"). It's not as luxuriously equipped but it makes up for it with the technology and electronics. It's okay at highway speeds (100km/h). Would I buy another one? Mostly likely unless some other Toyota hybrid catches my interest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don´t you feel the seats in the prius to be crap compared to the Camry? Too hard, too narrow and lousy adjustment....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
no, no and yes.

I guess it's because I'm not that heavy and not that wide. I'm about 6' 168lbs. They're not as chunky as the big power, leather appointed front seats of the Camry but they're fairly comfortable for me.

I am appalled that they didn't even include a height adjuster here. We only have fore/aft and recline. We also don't have telescoping steering wheel. I usually can fit with 4-way seats and tilt wheel but a bit more adjustment can help me fine tune the position but I know a lotta people can't get totally comfortable with the current range of adjustments that are available.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I too at first thought the dash looked a bit cheap. But let's face it, more cars are coming out with all plastic interior, which by the way doesn't do well for the acoustics. But we have to remember, the dash is not sculpted like a typical dash, and I think that has something to do with it.

As for height adjustment, the first time I came across height adjustment was when I rented a focus last year on a couple of trips. Some cars combine the height with the forward/back by angling the track. The more forward you go, the higher the seat goes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I too at first thought the dash looked a bit cheap. But let's face it, more cars are coming out with all plastic interior, which by the way doesn't do well for the acoustics.
That may be true, but it probably isn't. More cars are moving *upscale* to the soft plastics, instead of the hard plastics that used to dominate the low end car space. The Prius is the exception, not the rule.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When my husband and I started dating (a lifetime ago) he was driving his Mom's Citroen. I loved that car. My Prius rather reminds me of the Citroen. GET THE PRIUS! You won't ever regret it.

(October 3 is our 25th Wedding anniv. and the Prius is my gift.)

Happy driving!

2005 Tideland Pearl--Package 4 Loving it, 53.5 MPG
Patti

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, now i´m even closer to closing the deal. Me and my local dealer is about 1000$ apart. I´m aiming for a fully equipped prius with navi. I want it to be produced by december to be sure to get the changes that are due for the 2006´s. Will get it by february, hopefully. Sure hope the changes will apply for the european market too. A textured finish to the dash will be great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today turned out to be a kind of dissapointing experience for me. My negotiations with my dealer kind of stranded and he claims he can´t guarantee the production date of the car until he has it in the lot. I want a car thats manufactured by december to be sure to get the updates. He says he can only give me a delivery date and no production date.

Well, have sent mail to loads of dealers in a radius of 200 miles and hopefully someone will be able to get me what I want to the right price.

Anyone have a clue how long it is between production date until it arrives at a local dealer. 2 weeks? 1 month?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
sprett said:
Today turned out to be a kind of dissapointing experience for me. My negotiations with my dealer kind of stranded and he claims he can´t guarantee the production date of the car until he has it in the lot. I want a car thats manufactured by december to be sure to get the updates. He says he can only give me a delivery date and no production date.

Well, have sent mail to loads of dealers in a radius of 200 miles and hopefully someone will be able to get me what I want to the right price.

Anyone have a clue how long it is between production date until it arrives at a local dealer. 2 weeks? 1 month?
Why is all the fuss about December manufactured date ? If you want to qualify for a 06 model then any date of manufacture that states: 2006
model year will suffice. be it made in November or December ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, first of all, no one at toyota dealers or at toyota sweden knows anything about any upgrades. And they don´t use the term model year any longer, they claim that the year the car gets out on the roads is the model year. That´s just bull, and is only to be able to sell a old, unused car as new. Dirty tricks? Sure is.

So, figure this scenario : I order a car for delivery in january, they find a car that´s manufactured in august and has been standing at a huge stock warehouse in germany or some other european country. They deliver it as a 2006 and month later my neighbour turns up with a new prius with another look. Will I get pissed or will I get pissed???
Since I don´t even know for sure if it will be any changes to the european prius I better play it safe and order a car thats manufactured way after you guys get the first deliveries. Do I have a point?

·
Registered
219 Posts
sprett said:
So, figure this scenario : I order a car for delivery in january, they find a car that´s manufactured in august and has been standing at a huge stock warehouse in germany or some other european country.
This is a Prius we're talking about? Prii don't sit in warehouses, they go as fast as they can make them. In fact, there's people who have been on the waiting list since past July who'll be getting 2006 models. Calm down, you're worrying over nothing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts