Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Prius is starting to show its age and I have plans to change it soon though not immediately. Chances are I will stay with the Prius or else get the Prius+. In the mean time I need to get new summer tyres. The current ones say 195/55 R16 (I am in Luxembourg). From what I can see the new Prius uses 195/65 R16.

Does this mean that my new replacement tyres will be a dead loss when I change the car? Or is it possible to get tires that will fit the new Prius anyway? Alternately, could anyone here recommend a not too expensive brand that will suffice for another summer of driving (from what I have read Goodyear and Michelin variants are the "best" but pretty pricey around here).

I'd much appreciate any help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sorry, but I suspect most members still on this site are in the USA and have no idea what tires are available in Europe. Michelins are among the best in the USA, if that helps any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, but I suspect most members still on this site are in the USA and have no idea what tires are available in Europe. Michelins are among the best in the USA, if that helps any.
While on the topic of tires for a mature Prius... Our Prius is an '04 and we still just love it, planning to keep it as long as it meets our requirements. It must be safe, reliable, and economical to maintain and operate. We'll drive it till it fails in one or a combination of the categories above.

What I am looking for is a recommendation for tires. We live in a rural area where the tire sellers (25-30 miles away or more in any direction) are good ole boys who think if it fits it is fine.

What are the current leading LRR tires? Looking for a good trade-off of fuel economy, wet and dry traction, handling, mileage etc. We run "summer" tires all year and so far have done well on ice and snow as encountered here in south central Oklahoma.

TIA for your consideration,

Patrick

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here is a Michelin tire that might meet your expectations:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender&partnum=865TR5DEF&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2004&autoModel=Prius&autoModClar=

Note: Make sure the tire you select is rated at 44 psi max., and then run 44 psi in the front tires and 40 or 42 in the rears.

We used to run Michelin HydroEdge tires on our 2002 Prius. They wore very evenly and lasted about 70-80,000 miles, but Michelin stopped making them in size 185/65x14.

The Defender's specs look very similar to the HydroEdge, and the tread design is similar to a very popular light truck tire, the Michelin LTX M/S2. I will probably switch to Defenders when our current set wears out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts