Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read from posts that tinting the windows (is this a non-metallic tint?) will not disrupt the GPS as the antenna is in the dash by the front window. I have not seen a post that specifically states that a metallic or semi-metallic tint was used and there were no problems.

Can anyone who specifically used metallic tint advise me if they had any problems? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hi, Kurt:

I had them use the metallic LLUMAR tint on my Prius. No GPS problems. She still know's the way around town and she still tells me where to .. er.. get off.

:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metallic

Thanks Bif!!

I appreciate the info.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks to have my her tinted. I'll call in advance to ask it be done in LLUMAR.

LLUMAR...Is that a name brand or a special type of metallic tint that is suppose to work best with GPS systems? Or?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Llumar is a brand name. One of the best, if not THE best available. I believe it has a lifetime guarantee against fading and turning purple. Don't mark my words on that, I'd have to check my warranty to be certain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bif and others wehat kind of price would i expect. since my car is black i was thining of going kinda gangster with black or dark tint. what do you think?? im very concerned with peeling and bubbles. :?:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tint

I'm bringing her in tomorrow a.m. for the tint. I am paying $200. I got a quote at $150 at another shop, both will give me a lifetime warranty. I'm going with the $200 shop as they do all the work for my local Toyota dealer, i.e. they know Toyota's and they know the Prius.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tinted

The guy that was suppose to do the tint cancelled but I found a guy who did do the tint for $185 and it included a lifetime warranty (every window was tinted except the windshield of course). The guy did a great job!!! I'm so happy that I did the tint, it looks fantastic!

I had the windows tinted with "dark" metallic tint and the long, small window that's below the large hatchback window tinted with a medium tint. I estimated that that window is factory tinted with a medium tint already and if I put a medium tint on top of that it would look "dark" the same as the rest. NOT. At a glance it looks black. It was a fluke but I LOVE IT!! Looking from the inside out, it looks a bit darker but not all that much. There is no problem what-so-ever seeing through it.

My tint guy said he would remove it all together putting it back to original or place a light tint on it which may make it look dark like the rest but I told him, NO WAY!

Also, I used my GPS today and it works perfectly. The metallic tint did NOT affect its' operation at all and that included driving on the freeway and also driving around semi-tall buildings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts