Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read from posts that tinting the windows (is this a non-metallic tint?) will not disrupt the GPS as the antenna is in the dash by the front window. I have not seen a post that specifically states that a metallic or semi-metallic tint was used and there were no problems.

Can anyone who specifically used metallic tint advise me if they had any problems? Thanks!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Metallic

Thanks Bif!!

I appreciate the info.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks to have my her tinted. I'll call in advance to ask it be done in LLUMAR.

LLUMAR...Is that a name brand or a special type of metallic tint that is suppose to work best with GPS systems? Or?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Llumar is a brand name. One of the best, if not THE best available. I believe it has a lifetime guarantee against fading and turning purple. Don't mark my words on that, I'd have to check my warranty to be certain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bif and others wehat kind of price would i expect. since my car is black i was thining of going kinda gangster with black or dark tint. what do you think?? im very concerned with peeling and bubbles. :?:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tint

I'm bringing her in tomorrow a.m. for the tint. I am paying $200. I got a quote at $150 at another shop, both will give me a lifetime warranty. I'm going with the $200 shop as they do all the work for my local Toyota dealer, i.e. they know Toyota's and they know the Prius.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tinted

The guy that was suppose to do the tint cancelled but I found a guy who did do the tint for $185 and it included a lifetime warranty (every window was tinted except the windshield of course). The guy did a great job!!! I'm so happy that I did the tint, it looks fantastic!

I had the windows tinted with "dark" metallic tint and the long, small window that's below the large hatchback window tinted with a medium tint. I estimated that that window is factory tinted with a medium tint already and if I put a medium tint on top of that it would look "dark" the same as the rest. NOT. At a glance it looks black. It was a fluke but I LOVE IT!! Looking from the inside out, it looks a bit darker but not all that much. There is no problem what-so-ever seeing through it.

My tint guy said he would remove it all together putting it back to original or place a light tint on it which may make it look dark like the rest but I told him, NO WAY!

Also, I used my GPS today and it works perfectly. The metallic tint did NOT affect its' operation at all and that included driving on the freeway and also driving around semi-tall buildings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.