Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Prius with 180K miles is using a quart of oil every 2K miles. Has anyone had experience with this?
This just happened on our 2004 Prius at 172,500. Dealership stated this is a problem for Prius' with > 120,000. Dealership replaced a PVC(?sp) valve and said to bring it back in a 1000mi. After the dealership worked on the car, it is getting significantly better gas mileage. The bad news is that one possibility is to replace the engine at around $5600-6000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 Prius with 145,000 miles on it.
I religious change my oil every 5K, and at 130,000
oil change I noticed for the first time it was down
signify about a quart. The following two oil changes
has now resulted in being down almost a 1 1/2 qts.
each oil change. Anyone have any ideas what has
changed or failed on this engine ? No leaks apparent.
Is it just piston ring failure ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I wrong, I thought the engine brake helps create faster battery charging thus showing
more of those km (miniature cars) on your mpg 5 minute tracker and raising the charge levels to different colors on the battery bar gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Pete,

Thanks for the info. We are very simular in maintenance and mileage on our Prius's.
See my posts on the subjects.

Good Luck, src.com

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Am I wrong, I thought the engine brake helps create faster battery charging thus showing
more of those km (miniature cars) on your mpg 5 minute tracker and raising the charge levels to different colors on the battery bar gauge.
Wrong. Engine braking wastes energy. Regenerative braking will increase mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Prius burns 2.8quarts every 1200 miles!

Just found this forum. I have 173,000 miles on my vehicle and just finished a series of oil consumption tests whereas I return to dealer to check oil levels every 1200miles. It consistently loses almost 3 quarts every time!
I have religiously serviced my vehicle at Toyota service centers and always changed oil every 5k.
Service adviser tells me it's time to decide on a new vehicle or spend an estimated $3,000 to repair.
Toyota needs to address this issue with their loyal customers. Well maintained engines should not need this level of repairs this soon.

Fix this Toyota! (voluntary recall), or I will be buying a new vehicle alright. And it will NOT be another Toyota!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Prius using 1 quart per week (500 miles +/-)

I have a 2010 Prius IV with 116,000 miles. At about 90,000 miles, oil consumption rapidly increased. When I finally realized that the yellow triangle on the dashboard means low oil, (the diagnostic panel said "low engine oil pressure") the car was down 3 1/2 quarts. I brought it to the dealer the following day. I have owned a Landcruiser for 15+ years and it has never used a teaspoon of oil. What's up with the Prius?
The dealer acted very concerned - said that they had never seen this. I now see from this forum that this is a lie. We did three oil consumption tests, with anywhere from 1/2 to 1 quart per 500 miles for a 2,000 mile test period. They suggested that I need to either rebuild engine, for low $2800 to high $5,300 or trade it in. They cannot identify a location of oil leakage, and showed me burn residue on spark plugs. They had a factory rep come look at car during one test period. Unfortunately, he was no help to me. We have never seen any smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe.
The first scheduled tune up for this car occurs at 120,000 miles. We use synthetic oil, and have changed oil religiously every 10,000 miles. I am deeply disturbed that I'm told to rebuild the engine (at a profit to the local Toyota dealer) prior to my even getting to the first scheduled tune up!
Toyota has offered to give me parts at 30% off list, and will "loan" me a car during the rebuild period. This does not seem like enough to me. Granted, owning a car is a crap-shoot, but this experience does not speak well of current day Toyota's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I began to observe it, closely and found that I am requiring to add about 1.5 qt. every 1600 kilometers. This is vastly different than my before experience as I am the original proprietor and have always managed the vehicle according to the manufacturers specifications and formerly i never required any oil at oil change time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 prius with 230,000 miles on it. I started noticing low oil issues around 150,000 miles where I would be a couple of quarts low at my 5,000 mile oil change interval. I have periodically checked for leaks and have not found any. I am now having to add at least a quart every 1,000 miles and am beginning to believe this is just a issue that's not uncommon. I started changing the oil with a high mileage oil and using a 10w30 weight to see if that helps. I will soon find out being that we drive around 120 miles a day.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just a comment, but I would watch the oil level closely (check it more frequently); because the crankcase capacity for the ICE is only 3.7 quarts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Prius with 145,000 miles that started to use 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles starting at 130,000. I bought the car new and changed oil every 5k miles, so I'm disappointed with this oil consumption.

Switching to 5w-30 Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic seems to reduce oil consumption. High speed driving at 75-90mph for a total of 12 hrs from SF area to LA and back consumed 3/4 quart, which is a big improvement from my last trip using normal Chevron 5w-30. On that trip I had to use 2 quarts.

I think normal driving with the synthetic will use even less. I'll report back after a few more miles. Btw, Mobil1 high mileage 5w-30 is available at walmart for less than $25.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Prius II with 136,000 miles on it and it started using oil at around 100,000 miles. Wasn't too bad at first, add a quart at the 5000 mile mark on a 10000 mile oil change. The service advisor at the dealer said it was normal for them to start burning some oil after that many miles.

However it kept getting worse. Now I am adding a quart every 500 miles and the back of my car around the tailpipe is covered in black soot. This is my 2nd Prius. My first one (2006 Prius 2) was totaled in an accident at 86000 miles. It was just starting to use a bit of oil then too.

I do mostly freeway driving (75 mph with the cruise on) and I think it is caused by the repeated starting and shutting off of the gas engine during the commute. That many times starting up the engine has to be hard on it.

Anyone ever have the gas engine rebuilt and how did it work out? Cost?

The manual calls for 0W-20 synthetic and that is as thick as water. I switched to 5W-20 High Mileage Synthetic(Mobil 1) but I haven't noticed it getting better.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came across this. Our 2005, which we've owned since new now has 220,000 miles and it has been burning too much oil. I see no leaks anywhere. I had the PCV valve replaced recently and it didn't help. I need to keep after it as it uses about 3/4 - 1 quart with every tank full of gas which is about 425 miles.
I use the recommended Valvoline 5w30 and not the High Mileage stuff that Jiffy Lube always tries to have me use that costs a bit more.
My auto mechanic friend says just keep adding oil to it since that's cheaper than rebuilding the engine and that some Jaguars actually burn a quart every 200 miles.
I love this car but this is challenging. I don't want to screw up and be stranded with a broken engine somewhere far away or end up being forced to fix it when it blows up so that I can sell it.
I just wonder, can an engine rebuild shop just replace the valve seals without pulling the engine and then it would be a much cheaper fix? I've never even seen any signs of it burning oil since there's no smoke ever but I guess from what I've read, I should suspect the valve seals and not piston rings.
We did just change the spark plugs which might have been in there a LONG time and most of the porcelain was actually missing or broken and half gone on all which exposed the center electrode. Looking at them, I'm surprised it was running as well as it was. It consistently gets 42-45 mpg and my 21 year old son likes to play games putting the tranny into B on the way up to stoplights or down hills which he says forces even more battery charging to take place.
The other day it mysteriously used 2-1/4 quarts on a tank of gas instead of just the normal 1 quart. It had done this only one other time ever which was a month ago on a trip driving up to Las Vegas which is a 5 hour drive up and down a few mountains but also for hours on flat land.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just also found this post.

I have 2011 Prius III model with 89K miles. Recently (past several month) I noticed issues with disappearing oil. First the "Low Oil Pressure" light came up. I took it to change the oil at Jiffy Lube and they told me there was almost no oil left. The oil was changed, however, after about two weeks the "Change Oil" maintenance light came on. Again I took it Jiffy Lube. They changed the oil on 10/2. Then again the Low Oil Pressure" several days ago. I checked the oil level and it was down to a quarter. I took the car to Jiffy Lube and they topped it off. The car was serviced at Toyota for the first 2 years and then I switched to Jiffy Lube oil changes. The oil was changed as soon as the maintenance light came on.

The car parked in the garage and there are no oil leaks. The floor has no oil puddles. My suspicion the car has the same problem as described in this post.

At the time of the car purchase I also purchased Toyota Extra Care, which good for 7 yrs / 100K mikes bumper to bumper repair coverage, unless it is wear an tear part. My assumption that this repair would fall under the coverage. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer, so my question is how do I go about convincing the dealer/Toyota to do the approaching ICE repair?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
oil usage

Hello, my 2008 prius with 260,000 miles goes through about one quart of oil about every 1000 miles, the dealer said that when i get to about 800 miles per quart i should think about having something done, if the motor needs to be rebuilt it will cost more (6-7 thousand $) it would cost more than my car is worth, my car seems to be running well, it doesn't smoke or anything, they say that the oil is building up in the motor, they also said that I could just keep driving it and keep adding oil when needed, not sure what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 97 4-runner with 315k+ on it does not use any oil at all unless i am going over mountain passes i may have to add half quart maybe so maybe this oil usage is only related to prius's?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts