Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several times that the best Prius oil level for mileage is a little below the "full" mark. I bought a Prius a week and a half ago and the oil level is a little ABOVE (more than) the "full" mark.

Does the increased mileage of a lower oil level justify the hassle of trying to drain some oil? Is the car likely to burn enough oil to lower the oil level on its' own soon? Should I wait for the first oil change to adjust the oil level?

If these questions have already been answered (which they probably have), I either missed or have forgotten the answers - more than likely due to early senility. :shock: :shock:

I LOVE the car. :D I'm waiting to see how it does going over a mountain pass and back again. I've got a trip to Eastern Washington planned soon to give it the mountain pass test.

Thanks for any oil level advice.

380 miles on first tank. 51.4 MPG so far. :D :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Slightly above won't hurt anything, but will slightly reduce mileage. It won't burn off unless there's something really wrong with your engine.

Unless you're really mileage obsessed, I don't think you should bother trying to drain it. What if you go too far and then have to add more (ad infinitum).

If you are mileage obsessed, one trick I've heard is to get a fish aquarium siphon hose (a long plastic tube with a hand squeeze pump at one end). Snake it down from the oil fill port into the oil pan. I don't know how oil resistant those tubes are, so I can't comment on how long this tool will last.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
After reading several posts on here, I ckd my oil after couple of oil changes and found it was about 1/4" above the full indicator. (23K miles on an 04, which means 4 oil changes, I suspect they were all the same.).

Next time I go in for 25K service I'm going to call it to the service advisors attention, see what he says, and maybe insist it be filled properly.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
Seems that the stated oil capacity is 3.9 qts but Toyota services all cars at 4 qts. I found this on my new car and being done by Toyota at subsequent oil changes.
Reports are that even the manual recommended 3.9 US quarts will put you right at the full mark. Suggestion is to go for 3.5, and then do a level check and manually add a little more if needed...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
My only thought is Michelle that the four quarts the factory and dealers are putting in is harmless. Personally if I were Toyota and reading this website I would have as a service the swapping of dipsticks with the new stick showing four quarts as "full"
Then why would Toyota issue a TSB on the proper oil fill level?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 050-04.gif
or
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11035 ... ges/50.gif

US TSB EG050-04
December 20, 2004. ENGINE OIL SPECIFICATIONS. 2001-2005 Prius.
(Incorrect engine oil viscosity or improper fill level may result in a
M.I.L. "ON" condition (most common Diagnostic Trouble Code P3191
"Engine does not start"). Use SAE 5W-30 API grade SL "Energy
Conserving" oil and use proper fill quantity.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts