Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knuckles officially BUSTED........ :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't budge my stock factory oil filter from my car.....using an "F" type filter wrench....turning left....or counter clockwise....sigh!

Thinking if I run the engine for a bit the heat may help loosen it?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
You definitly want to turn it counter clockwise.

Does sound like the factory did over spin it. Factories, no matter where they are sometimes do stupid little things even though they tend to get everything else correct.

In this situation I'd go for a longer wrench handle, or something that you could add to your wrench handle that would extend its length and allow you to get more leverage on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oil filter too tight!

This is most often caused by over tighting when installed.

If your car is new, take it back to the dealer, bad workmenship at the factory and have them un-do it.

If your car is not new, two options come to mind, pipe wrench on the base, on the ring around the base of the filter the other, large slot screw driver and a hammer, drive the screw driver thru the filter and used the screw driver like a set of handles, however if you do this you must get the filter off before you can start the engine again.

Double check the filter mount area and remove any rubber gasket left from the old filter.

And remember hand tight and 1/4 turn more is all you need with the new filter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.....
Yeh....I've had to do the Screw driver "punch" through on "old" cars but never on a brand new 1st time factory oil filter :shock:
Kind of a Pain in the A$$ laying on my garage floor under a partially jacked up car trying to get good leverage on the filter......the position they mounted it in is not ideal for this.
Think I'll have Toyota deal with this one!

·
Registered
261 Posts
run over to Checker or someplace and get an end-cap type wrench for your socket driver; they are about $4. had the same problem with my first oil change, and didn't have one of those. ended up draining the oil filter by punching a hole in the bottom, then I think I crushed the bottom with something until I could get a big pair of vise grips on it. I don't recommend the screwdriver punch solution, as there is little room on the side of the filter in the Prius...the screwdriver will probably not spin far enough to get the loosening started.
r

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you see that's the problem.....
I'm already using the end cap type filter wrench and it's not budging! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts