Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 Prius is ready for her 5k mile first oil/filter change. I'm assuming it is ok to go to a EasyLube type place as opposed to the dealor? I assume that the warrenty doesn't cover oil changes at the dealorship. Also, I read somewhere I should add something or buy some sort of magnetic somethin' or other that takes out metal particles?? It was a while ago so I'm vague on the details. So, any of you out there with more info on oil changes would be greatly appreated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First oil change

Personally, I'd take it to the dealer for the first couple of oil changes. We have a pretty responsible dealership here and they give the car a thorough inspection. I guess it would be a matter of how much do you trust the dealer's service dept.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree with bringing it to the dealer. My wife and I plan to keep our Prius for 10-15 years if we can, so we will be bringing it to the dealer for all servicing including the oil changes. Not to mention the fact that our dealer gave us a card that will give us the first three oil changes at no charge.

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had to quit with jiffy lube I have differnet tires from original and they keep deflating my tires. No matter what I told them, the customer is never right. :x

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just make sure that you have all the items from your Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide) performed:

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/

In the US on 2004-current Prius, that is typically an oil/filter change and tire rotation every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first, and some other stuff depending on which service...

You can go to where ever you like, or even DIY. Pre-paid maintenance only came with the US 2001-2003 Prius, or if you separately purchased the Toyota Pre-Paid Maintenance Plan (which is different than an extended warranty Extra Care plan). Some dealers may give out coupons for a free first x services when you purchase with them, though.

Just don't go to a dealer and ask for the x-mile service, though - just ask for the items that you want performed (otherwise the dealer will often add on services you don't need or can't even have performed on your vehicle!).

Some people prefer going to the dealer to start building up a relationship with them if they ever have problems in the future...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.